Dangers of LinkedIn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangers of LinkedIn

This article is a few years old, but the warning is no less relevant today. I don't even have a LinkedIn account, and I got an email the other day from some gynecologist in Dallas, TX who wants to connect with me. How did he get my name and email address? Scary.
    The details LinkedIn members divulge about their jobs and their coworkers can be a potent weapon for attacks on corporate networks.

I leave my LinkedIn account very generic and don't provide many details at all about any of my job information. Social media is more scary than it is really worth these days and I try to avoid it. People post personal information all the time not realizing that others can look at it and find out a lot about you.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of social networking sites of any kind. I hate that they have become so popular they're almost mandatory now. One work at home opportunity I signed up for required me to create a Linkedin account. I figured I'd do it all incognito, but you really can't. These systems already have too much info about us, and they add it whether you want it or not.

How do you get rid of the account once it's up? Can you even get rid of it?

I think we'll learn more and more just how dangerous this stuff can be. I've heard that stalking is at an all time high. I wonder why...

Comment

I don't have a LinkedIn account, but I do intend to get one soon as the job market calls for one. However, I think it's pretty easy to separate yourself from your internet self, as long as you take proper precautions. Obviously, don't put credit card information or your home address online. If they have your email, then either change it, or just block them. Keep your account generic.

Comment

I signed up for a LinkedIn account several years ago because I got an email request from a coworker who I trusted. Later, I told her "I got your email", and she said "what email?". I told her I got an email invitation to join linkedIN. That's when we realized that when you create a linkedin account, it syncs up with all your contacts and sends them emails in your name. I did not like that at all! To me, that is an invasion of privacy. Maybe it's in the fine print that nobody takes the time to read. Anyway, the scariest part was that it pulled up people who I have not had contact with since middle school. They have crazy ways of connecting the dots between you, your workplace, any schools you went to, etc. That is already more information than I want people knowing about me. It is overstepping in my opinion.
          Zyni likes this.

Comment

• Zyni
            Zyni commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I don't like it at all. I don't like all my stuff being connected, and I don't like it being available to other people without my permission. I don't want them spamming anyone in my name either.

Google is forever trying to hook all my stuff up together. It should be an opt in thing, if you ask me. I mean, really, sometimes it's not even me on my computer but one of my kids. They try to do something, and it's all mixed up with my stuff, because all these sites shove this stuff down your throat.

I think it's just dangerous anyway. For the person who said they are still all private... probably not as much as you think.

I actually heard about this article when it came out a few years ago. Although I never made a Linkedin account and still haven't to this day, I don't know exactly how unsafe it is. I have family members wanting me to join, but it doesn't really make sense since I'm not a career person yet and I'm still in college.

Comment

Originally posted by missbee23 View Post
            I signed up for a LinkedIn account several years ago because I got an email request from a coworker who I trusted. Later, I told her "I got your email", and she said "what email?". I told her I got an email invitation to join linkedIN. That's when we realized that when you create a linkedin account, it syncs up with all your contacts and sends them emails in your name. I did not like that at all! To me, that is an invasion of privacy. Maybe it's in the fine print that nobody takes the time to read. Anyway, the scariest part was that it pulled up people who I have not had contact with since middle school. They have crazy ways of connecting the dots between you, your workplace, any schools you went to, etc. That is already more information than I want people knowing about me. It is overstepping in my opinion.

If that's the case, then I will never create a LinkedIn account, because they send emails on your behalf to make it easier to convince you to sign up. I get a couple of emails from people I don't even know asking me to join LinkedIn, and I figured it's because it's the email address that I use in those moneymaking sites. I think LinkedIn is quite invasive for my taste.
            Zyni likes this.

Comment

I keep getting a ton of those LinkedIn invites but I never accepted even one of them. Not even the one from my mother, lol! But I'm glad I was never the social media type, I've managed to keep my private life private and free from all virtual scrutiny.

Comment

Social Media and Networking websites are pretty scary indeed, but that doesn't mean they can't get your personal details from anywhere else.

Comment

I keep getting these Linkedin invitations too. They come to an email address of mine which is not associated with my Linkedin account so I assume that they are spam or fraudulent. I certainly don't ever open them - they are far too suspicious.

Comment

I have not had any problems with LinkedIn. Of course, like any social media network, it has user-adjustable privacy settings. I frequently get prompts to search for my contacts on LinkedIn, which requires granting access to my address book. I routinely deny access and close the prompt. As for invitations or notifications from LinkedIn, I simply delete any mail claiming to be from them without reading it, as I know I will see any legitimate information within their system when I'm logged in. However, I'm glad I read this thread, since it motivated me to review and change some of my LinkedIn privacy settings to prevent any further spam from them.

I guess I'm not overly sensitive about LinkedIn because I live in a small town and am quite active and visible in my community. Everybody around here already knows where I work, what I'm doing, and who I associate with. I don't post family information, or contact information for my friends, but I figure that what I do share about myself is relevant to the purpose of the network. It would defeat the purpose of participating in a business networking site if I didn't post information about my work and volunteer efforts. With that in mind, I've had nothing but positive experiences from using LinkedIn. Your mileage may vary...
                    kd3pc and ASurvivor like this.

Comment

Last I checked these "social media" are all strictly voluntary. Same with emails, especially unsolicited ones. I choose where and IF I want any of my information given out. Same with what I open, download or read online.

Any place that is a repository of this kind of information, simply becomes a honey pot for the hackers. The "cloud" for all of it's proposed assets has not been known to be any more secure than other parts of the internet.

Make a choice, but be careful what ever that choice is.
                      fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

I've had an account for a while and hadn't really thought about the risk of it being compromised. I guess any savvy individual could fish around your Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook account to develop a profile on you. I admit I need to tighten things up but I'm not running for the hills from social media. Sensibly used it can be very powerful.

Comment

All the pieces of information in my LinkedIn account are by no means personal. The hackers won't find anything beneficial there. I have not even linked my profile to my social media accounts. Hackers may attempt to usurp your identity through LinkedIn and pose as you in some other shady endeavor, but users will be all right as long as they keep their profiles more career-oriented and less personal (in other words you provide information you have no trouble sharing to others).

Comment

I've had the odd stranger here and there add me (was certainly spam) but I just exercised common sense and blocked them. It's the same for any other form of social media, I don't think that Linkedin is particularity worse than any of the others.

Comment

Working...
                            X