No announcement yet.

4 Dead in Chattanooga Shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously this law needs to be looked at again and improvements/protections made wherever possible. It would appear that this is somewhat of a complicated matter as evidenced by this Washington Post article.

Earlier this week I spoke with two retired army vets to get their input on this. Both brought up that it is not quite a black and white decision and there are a lot of factors/difficulties involved in arming recruiters.

Providing the appropriate armory and storage facilities for the weapons and ammunition would be expensive. New procedures for weapons handling and storage would also need to be developed and coordinated with thousands of local communities and law enforcement.

In addition, they explained to me that recruiters don't go to the gun range while they are on recruiting duty, and so they would require a whole new training program, and thousands of additional weapons would also need to be purchased.

I was also surprised to learn that a large number of the junior enlisted Marines who are not from an occupational specialty have never handled a service pistol, so pistol training and procurement would need to be expanded greatly, or only arm them with rifles.

Both also raised the question as to how college campuses would feel if ROTC units were required to arm their active duty members and whether being armed would make it harder for them to get out into the community and recruit in schools and people's living rooms.

It's not much, but I thought I would pass this on as I did learn quite a lot from their wisdom and expertise, and their comments helped to shine a light on the intricacies that are involved.
    KimberlyD and fcphdJim like this.

Comment

I just read from Liveleaks that the recruiters may not be wearing uniforms anymore. To some extent this is a good thing because it would be harder for them to be targets. They would not be distinguished from regular civilians. However this could put civilians at greater risk because then there would be random targets as they attempt to target recruiters but are unable to identify them. Rather then take the uniforms away, they should start arming them and other military personnel at all times and do as dillinger10 suggested in his post.
      Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
      Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

I was just reading an article tonite and, shockingly, the naval commander of the recruiting station will be facing charges because he tried to stop the attacker from killing more soldiers at the recent shootings in Chattanooga.

I am sure that everyone who was present when the terrorist shooter attacked the recruiting office was very thankful that there was someone there with a gun that could return fire and try to stop the massacre.
        However, our US government seems to think that it was a wrong thing for the commander to do, and he is now facing prosecution for saving people's lives.

It is hard to believe that this person, who should be looked at as a hero (and IS a hero to everyone that was there) is now going to face punishment and possibly prison for saving lives.

http://allenbwest.com/2015/08/whats-...ur-blood-boil/

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
          I was just reading an article tonite and, shockingly, the naval commander of the recruiting station will be facing charges because he tried to stop the attacker from killing more soldiers at the recent shootings in Chattanooga.

I am sure that everyone who was present when the terrorist shooter attacked the recruiting office was very thankful that there was someone there with a gun that could return fire and try to stop the massacre.
          However, our US government seems to think that it was a wrong thing for the commander to do, and he is now facing prosecution for saving people's lives.

It is hard to believe that this person, who should be looked at as a hero (and IS a hero to everyone that was there) is now going to face punishment and possibly prison for saving lives.

Completely pissed me off. Legally , yes he was wrong because he illegally had a firearm and discharged it but laws are broken everyday by people choosing to do what's right.
          Upon a good search had to correct my thoughts that the judiciary was doing the wrong thing,but Itís not the judiciary that would prosecute the action of the soldiers. Itís the military chain of command. The chain of command is under the direct control of the President.

The laws should be relaxed a bit to accommodate the righteous acts done to protect people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post

I read about that too and was completely baffled. That guy should have been given a medal not face charges for his bravery. What has out country come too. My boyfriend and I are about to write letters to our congress about that and suggest everyone else do so also.
            Tumbleweed likes this.
            Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
            Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Working...
            X