South African Riots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [World/Regional Conflict] South African Riots

There have been a string of anti-immigrant riots spreading throughout South Africa. So far 6 people have been killed as a result of these riots. This news article talks about one victim of the rioting in Jeppestown who is seriously injured in the protest that has been occurring for the past two weeks. Protesters are angry because of the immigrants that have been flooding in when their their employment rate is already low and wealth is not distributed equally among citizens.
    Carol Lloyd had to stop her car as she drove close to Jeppestown, Johannesburg, after she was injured by a rock thrown through her window in the latest anti-immigrant protests.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

I live in Durban, South Africa and we have been staying close to home for several days now. This situation has been brewing for several years. I have seen on TV and from neighbours the incidents that have ben taking place in the city. The main shopping area was closed down for a day or two as gangs began attacking and looting foreign businesses. Disgraceful, considering it was other countries who stood by us during the apartheid era and those in exile. Apparently they were chasing mothers and children down the streets. Let me say that this trouble has been caused by only a few. The majority of South Africans are outraged by this behavior and undertook a peace march in the city center yesterday. These troublemakers tried to undermine this event, but were cut short by the citizens and police force. Many have been arrested and will be charged.
    KimberlyD and dillinger10 like this.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information oraclemay it is always good to get first hand accounts in events such as these.

For those interested in reading more, we have a thread discussing the ongoing xenophobic clashes here on the forum. I would also strongly recommend taking the time to read this long form piece published by Aljazeera

Comment

South Africa may be a great holiday destination, but citizens are not enjoying such a sunny time! Living conditions in South Africa are not good. The rich grow richer, while the rest of us battle to put food on the table. Rampant unemployment and lack of basic services are everywhere. As prices of food, rentals and electricity continue to increase, many families are barely surviving in the cities. Constan power outages do not help the situation. There has been unrest in many sectors for some time now. Remembering what went down in the past leaves many considering a move.
        Last edited by oraclemay; 04-17-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

As a South African, the feeling of uneasiness that I had for some time has recently increased. I am aware of how quickly situations in this country can escalate. There has always been some political situation or undercurrent on the go. Current defacing and damaging of historical statues is really uncalled for as there is a process to follow. This only serves to enrage other groups who are retaliating. If I was in a position to leave this country now, I would. I have a sense that we are in for a rough time ahead.

Comment

Is South Africa turning the clock back to its darker, violent past ??.No one has the right to get you out of your place, where you live.This was and still is a beautiful country but it is being ruined by those who cannot enforce law and order. Makes me very sad,to say the least.

Comment

You are so right, but I live here and there are serious issues that are not being dealt with and being covered up. Things are not as they seem and some of us are growing weary of the unrest and wondering if it is worth staying. As things stand at the moment and for some time, the future looks bleak and it could be dangerous.

Comment

CNN reports that the riots in South Africa have now spread to Johannesburg where police were forced to fire rubber bullets to disperse crowds of machete-armed residents as they set immigrant businesses on fire. Six people have died as a result of the ongoing attacks, including a 58-year-old who was attacked and killed in his home in Verulam.

Comment

The police hav e arrested over 300 people and the Zulu King came to the stadium in Durban today to speak his people. He asked everyone to protect the foreigners. It seems to have quietened down here in Durban. The government has started campaigns to help reintegrate the foreigners back into their neighborhoods. I can only hope things improve. We are still staying close to home for now.

Comment

Do you have a link to a video or article that tells what he said to add? I would like to see it oraclemay. I'm sorry you have to go through this tragedy. It must be really scary having to deal with this sort of thing.
                    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
                    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

It's bad that there were people injured on that protest. Even though the riot has gone bad and had some casualties over the area, what they are trying to tell everyone is true. It is happening not only in South Africa but all over the world. Certain people get to migrate to other countries and have the job they wanted but their own citizen is suffering too much and they are even jobless. I guess there will be a proper solution to this.
                      dannixx55 likes this.

Comment

Riot will always not result to a positive one. Innocent civilians will always be affected and that is a bad thing. South Africa is a country wherein poverty is very high and the government there is not doing much for the people. Citizens are becoming barbaric when their situations become worse. I hope things will just work out fine out there.

Comment

Here is a link address for article on the Zulu King.
                          http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ill-zwelithini

He has been blamed for starting the trouble because of something he said a while ago. Now it seems to be a different story.
                          Today President Zuma and other leaders met to identify and come up with resolutions to solve the problem and make sure it does not occur again. Although hundreds have left the country, things seem to have quietened down and the defence force has been deployed to assist the police at hotspots. Several of the foreigners have opened shop again and communities seem to be working together. They seem to be taking action quite quickly, but not quick enough for those who have lost their lives.

Comment

Conditions seemed to have improved here. There are several meetings taking place between president Zuma and interested parties. I have seen some foreigners interviewed on TV who have opened shop again and are quite happy. The violence seems to be under control. South African citizens have come out for peace marches, standing in solidarity with foreigners. The Million Man march took place today in Pretoria where what seems like millions came out to march for peace in our country. I hope we can now put this incident behind us and support and protect our foreigners. Much is being done to put measures in place to ensure that this does not happen again. It is obvious that the majority do not agree with this behavior which is a terrible embarrassment for our country.
                            KimberlyD and like this.

Comment

Here is a link to information about the Defense force being set in to curb attacks. I am happy to report that the violence does seem to have subsided and even those who were angry seem to be coming around.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...cks-foreigners

Comment

Working...
                              X