Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explosion blasts hole in the side of Somalian passenger plane, forces landing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosion blasts hole in the side of Somalian passenger plane, forces landing.

At this point, all that the authorities are saying is that some kind of an explosion apparently caused a huge hole in the side of a Somalian Airbus, injuring several passengers. The Airbus had just taken off, when passengers heard an explosion and the cabin began to fill with smoke. The cabin became de-pressurized, and air asks were deployed.
    Some people are reporting that it looked like an explosive such as a grenade, had been placed into the plane to cause the explosion. At this time, they are not saying whether this was done by a terrorist, as they are still investigating the cause of the explosion.
    It is possible, although not probable, that it could have been caused by some kind of electrical malfunction; but from the pictures, it certainly looks like there was some kind of an explosive device on the plane.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=36674735

The latest information about this, which is on television news, is that the explosion was caused by a bomb that was placed inside of a small laptop that was put on board the plane.
    The surveillance camera have fought pictures of the people who were responsible, and arrests have been made in this case; so it was definitely a terrorist type of attack.
    It is just thankful that the bomb went off so soon after takeoff, and the plane was able to land safely so there were no serious injuries. If this had happened when the plane was in flight, the outcome would probably not been good at all.
    I am glad that they were able to find and arrest the people responsible for doing this. Obviously, they were not checking out the laptops very well, to let this one get through with a bomb in it.

Comment

The lengths terrorists would do just to serve their own ends are beyond me. Aside from crowded places, planes, buses, trains and other public transports are among the top targets of terrorists because they can kill as many people as they want to in one go. The government should deploy elite security in terminals, boarding areas and other public places.

Comment

There really is something wrong with their security if they were able to miss that laptop with a bomb. Did they say if there was probably an inside job part of the crime? I certainly hope not though! It's really a good thing that there were no casualties and they were able to apprehend the suspects. I hope they become more strict regarding security checks before boarding the planes though. It's not unlikely that this incident can happen again if they won't implement stricter guidelines.

Comment

Authorities are treating it as an act of terrorism and they believe that the passenger who was thrown out was the one carrying the explosive. Somalia has suffered from terrorist attacks by the Alshabaab which has left thousands of people dead. They are known to be using suicide bombers to carry out the attacks. Recently they attacked an AMISOM (African Mission In Somalia) camp whereby they killed an unknown number of soldiers and wounding others. They are also known to have involved themselves in piracy but thanks to the African Union who sent soldiers there and nowadays there are very few cases of piracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Help212 View Post
            Authorities are treating it as an act of terrorism and they believe that the passenger who was thrown out was the one carrying the explosive. Somalia has suffered from terrorist attacks by the Alshabaab which has left thousands of people dead. They are known to be using suicide bombers to carry out the attacks. Recently they attacked an AMISOM (African Mission In Somalia) camp whereby they killed an unknown number of soldiers and wounding others. They are also known to have involved themselves in piracy but thanks to the African Union who sent soldiers there and nowadays there are very few cases of piracy.
            Goodness, I don't really see the point of such acts. Apparently, this article states that the suspects are supposedly from Al-Shabaab (as you've stated), an Islam extremist group. They were also linked to Al-Qaeda. And it also answered my question, there's some evidence that there was an airport personnel who helped the terrorist. So it was an inside job. It's scary to think that there can be airport personnels who would want their passengers in danger.:/
            Most of the passengers, including the suspected bomber, were scheduled to fly with Turkish Airlines but the flight was cancelled

Comment

Thank goodness none of the passengers were injured, that means the fools who did it failed, which is good to know. Things like this happen very often in third world countries in places like Africa, hundreds, if not thousands of people die every month due as a result of terrorism and a lack of authorities. It's just that the lack of media coverage means we never hear about it. The entire world made a huge deal when the Paris attacks happened, yet in the same week a hundred odd people were killed in a terrorist attack in Nigeria, which went unheard of. The laptop story does not seem credible as a mistake that authorities did not pick it up.

As far as I know, all luggage has to pass through an x-ray of sorts that checks for things like this, which means it was an inside job. As Briannogodess mentioned, it's a shame that airport staff have the power to put lives in danger so easily. It's one of the many reasons I avoid air travel at all costs. Unfortunately some people are unable to do so and their lives come to an end by foolish, selfish people.
              Briannagodess likes this.

Comment

SashaS I did not know about that terrorist attack in Nigeria, that's truly terrible. I found an article about that horrible incident. I just want to link it here to let everyone know about the Boko Haram incident, in case they weren't informed about it like me.

That truly scares me about air travel nowadays. I cannot even board a plane without anxiety and stress all because there's that possibility of a terrorist attack. And what more, if airport personnel are willing to put our lives at risk, how can we even be secure? Especially if we have family with us travelling.:/
                As media coverage focused on the Paris terror attacks last week, over 2000 Nigerians were reported to have been killed by Islamist militants. What makes one massacre more newsworthy than another?
                SashaS likes this.

Comment

Wow! That truly is amazing. It is nothing less than spectacular news. I really hope this is going to work out, we've been waiting for something to happen. I'm so glad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by philthegoat View Post
                    Wow! That truly is amazing. It is nothing less than spectacular news. I really hope this is going to work out, we've been waiting for something to happen. I'm so glad for them.

You're glad for them? You've been waiting for something to happen? I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here, but it doesn't sound very... right. Care to elaborate? We would love to hear your opinion, Phil.

Comment

Working...
                    X