No announcement yet.

ISIS: Why is SE Asia Vulnerable to it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISIS: Why is SE Asia Vulnerable to it?

There is one simple reason as to why ISIS can easily infiltrate Southeast Asia: it provides a permissive environment for it. There are lots of government and people conflicts in Southeast Asian countries. This can lead to some places being ungoverned or free for the infiltration of the said terrorist group. Hence, the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia are said to be breeding grounds for the development of local ISIS recruitment groups.

The solution is that the governments of these countries should resolve issues regarding armed forces conflicts. Next, the government should also prioritise the good of the people instead of corrupting taxes for their own good. Lastly, the people and the government should work hand-in-hand to stop ISIS from entering their countries. There needs to be cooperation from all agencies to ensure the safety of the people.
    Editorial, commentary, analysis, cartoon and blogs by Bangkok Post columnists.

There are lots of extremist groups in Southeast Asia long before ISIS became a worldwide sensation. There was the famed Jemaah Islamiyah in addition to the Abu Sayyaf Group. They're supposedly Muslims but with no known ideology and they try to fund their cause through illegal means such as threatening farmers and other helpless sectors, taking foreigners hostage and using ransom money to buy weapons and the like. It's not unlikely for these guys to touch base with ISIS and support their ambition of spreading terror across the world.
    Last edited by xTinx; 02-07-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

SE Asia is definitely vulnerable, but ISIs will definitely find it difficult to get its hold o the Indian Subcontinent. Firstly, because the Muslims residing there have a generally unfavourable view on the whole Shia vs Sunni conflict which is the bread and butter of the outfit, and secondly, there a large number of competing outfits in the area, making the complete dominance of one militant group highly improbable in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
        There are lots of extremist groups in Southeast Asia long before ISIS became worldwide sensation. There was the famed Jemaah Islamiyah in addition to the Abu Sayyaf Group. They're supposedly Muslims but with no known ideology and they try to fund their cause through illegal means such as threatening farmers and other helpless sectors, taking foreigners as hostage and using ransom money to buy weapons and the like. It's not unlikely for these guys to touch base with ISIS and support their ambition of spreading terror across the world.
        True enough, that's what scares me most about this issue. There are tons of rebel groups that would be willing to side with ISIS just because they cannot get their way. And they think that violence and combining with another group which has the same ideology as them would be the answer. But the truth is, ISIS is far more than Jemaah Islamiyah and Abu Sayyaf. They're a bigger threat and once they enter the Philippines, we don't even know what will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post

True enough, that's what scares me most about this issue. There are tons of rebel groups that would be willing to side with ISIS just because they cannot get their way. And they think that violence and combining with another group which has the same ideology as them would be the answer. But the truth is, ISIS is far more than Jemaah Islamiyah and Abu Sayyaf. They're a bigger threat and once they enter the Philippines, we don't even know what will happen.
          Yes ISIS has a bigger network than JI and ASG put together. However, for them to enter the ASEAN region, they have to communicate with existing insurgent groups first. ISIS didn't grow big from recruiting individuals alone. It's a coalition of different rebel and mercenary factions from Syria and Iraq.

Comment

When news broke out that the leader of the Abu Sayyaf Group has been recognized as an ISIS representative in the Philippines, the rush of fear came into me. I'm far from the Mindanao region but knowing that ISIS is now penetrating this country is very alarming. As Briannagodess said, there are a lot of rebel groups who are willing to take in ISIS as part of their group. Our country lacks the resources and weaponry to defeat terrorist groups and having this notorious group enter our shores is another added threat and burden to the lives of many here in this part of the world.

Comment

xTinx I am trying to find which groups are really a part of ISIS. So far, articles say that they are a rebranded Al-Qaeda group. But the thing is, ISIS is more deliberate and controlling. They actually have a plan of which people to put in every territory they seize and conquer. They are not just terrorising the country, they are keen on governing Syria.

gracer What's even more alarming is the number of people that has fled from different countries to Syria to fight with ISIS. Tunisia has about 3000 people and Saudi has about 2500 people already in ISIS. Even people from Russia, Morocco and France has fled to fight with ISIS. It baffles me why they chose this path.

I now wonder how many Asians have already fled to Syria to fight with ISIS? And just how big are their controlling capacities? As you've said, our country's not capable of defeating our own terrorist groups. How much more such a big terrorist group like ISIS? If they can provide the said local terrorist groups with weapons, I shudder to think what will happen to our country.
              The rise of Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the Islamist militant group that has seized a chunk of land stretching from northern Syria to central Iraq, has struck fear into the hearts of leaders around the world. CNN explains ISIS' roots, what it controls, and where its support comes from.

Comment

Many young people in SE Asia are not employed, hence becoming targets for radicalisation. ISIS is also using the social media to brainwash the youth in SE Asia. The videos that are being shared there are about radicalisation. This makes the youth to think that ISIS is a rich powerful force.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
                  xTinx I am trying to find which groups are really a part of ISIS. So far, articles say that they are a rebranded Al-Qaeda group. But the thing is, ISIS is more deliberate and controlling. They actually have a plan of which people to put in every territory they seize and conquer. They are not just terrorising the country, they are keen on governing Syria.

gracer What's even more alarming is the number of people that has fled from different countries to Syria to fight with ISIS. Tunisia has about 3000 people and Saudi has about 2500 people already in ISIS. Even people from Russia, Morocco and France has fled to fight with ISIS. It baffles me why they chose this path.

I now wonder how many Asians have already fled to Syria to fight with ISIS? And just how big are their controlling capacities? As you've said, our country's not capable of defeating our own terrorist groups. How much more such a big terrorist group like ISIS? If they can provide the said local terrorist groups with weapons, I shudder to think what will happen to our country.
                  That is true Briannagodess. And the weapons that our local terrorist groups have are even more modern and high end than what our military have. ISIS is a rich terrorist group and if they fund our local terrorist groups with strong weapons it is really hard to think of how we'd end up as a people of this nation. This thought really scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
                    That is true Briannagodess. And the weapons that our local terrorist groups have are even more modern and high end than what our military have. ISIS is a rich terrorist group and if they fund our local terrorist groups with strong weapons it is really hard to think of how we'd end up as a people of this nation. This thought really scares me.
                    Yup, it's not even funny how our own military forces buy secondhand weapons from the US and other countries. And these terrorist groups have new weapons to use, is someone even funding them already? If you ask me, it's so twisted just how our government is. The politicians have mansions and other properties and they aren't even questioned. Where do our taxes even go? To their pockets? We can't even have our proper defence system! How can the government even defend its citizens when it's the one who steals from them?
                    gracer likes this.

Comment

The government stealing from its own people goes on in every country in the world, it's just that in some parts they make it more obvious than in others.

ISIS is a threat to people in every country and not just in SE Asia, as I think they've already shown with the amount of people going over from places like the UK and France because they have fallen for the ISIS propaganda.

Comment

Working...
                      X