ISIS announcing they are planning new massive attacks in Europe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
    It sounds like I'm being racist here, or at the very least being argumentative for no reason, but I'm genuinely not, so bare with me!

You mention that people in the west aren't having enough children, and your right. Here in the UK the population is getting older and the birth rate is slowing down, but for me that's all the more reason to limit immigration even more.

If we carry on going like we are, statistics show that by 2020, an Englishman will be a minority in England and no matter how you look at it that can't be right. How would you like Americans to be a minority in your own country?

While limiting immigration doesn't make people want to have more children, what it does do is keep that particular country in the hands of its own people, and I think that's important.
    I understand your sentiment. Strange new things are happening and it's natural to resist change. I don't have all the answer to these questions, since they are very complex and important questions. I am just trying to use logic and reason and figure out how we will move forward as civil society. I do welcome any criticism anyone may have for my ideas.
    The current retirement system in most, if not all, first would countries relies on young people working and paying into the system so the older folks can retire. So lots of baby boomers and not many kids equals no more government pension checks, and less money being available to fund things like the NHS.
    Then we get into the quagmire of what defines an "Englishmen" or an "American" or a "South African" or a "Canadian" (hey that's me!)
    Is it simply where you were born or what citizenry you hold? Is it religion, is it skin colour? Is it where your parents were born? It is a set of values you hold? Is it what language you speak or what foods you eat? I went to school with a few people from England, one of which was a young man of Indian descent. His family had been in England for generations, I had no idea that curry was a popular British dish too. To me he was as "English" as the rest of them despite the difference in complexion. I know more white people from South Africa then I do black people, but they all considred themselves African.
    Then when you take places like Canada and America, well we were literally built on immegrants! I personally have many friends whose grandparents do not speak English nor French. They can speak Italian, or they only know a little English. If Canada ever made it to the world cup (haha yea like that would ever happen we stink at football), and it was Italy against Canada I bet my years salary that a lot of my friends would cheer for Italy. Do these facts make them any less Canadian? HELL NO! Our current minister for democratic reform is a refugee from Afganistan. Does that make her any less Canadian? Nope.
    So as for being a "minority in my own country" I don't see that ever happening. To me, being a Canadian transcends where you came from or where your parents came from. To me you don't have to be a straight white god fearer to be my countryman. All you need is respect Canada and commit to upholding "Canada Values"
    http://canadianimmigrant.ca/slider/a...anadian-values
    That is a good link for an idea on what I mean by Canadian values.
    In fact, when I go into work today one of the first people I will see will be Irene, a cleaner. Irene has to be pushing 50 years old. She works hard for little money. She moved here many years ago, from Slovakia (well it was Czechoslvakia then.) She grinded away at menial work so that her kids could have a good life here in Canada, which they do because they are both university graduates who make more money then me. To me Irene is a true Canadian, she upholds Canadian values. In fact I think she's a better Canadian then many people who's familys are rich and been here for a long time. I think she's a better Canadian then Mr. Harper ever will be.
    I hope this isn't too long winded.
    I grew up somewhat poor in a richer area. So my mom and I both worked very hard to live in some safety and comfort. I worked many tough jobs growing up and so did she and some of the best people, some of the hardest working people, some of the most respectable people, the most honest people I have come across in my life were not white, they were not christians, they didn't speak perfect French or perfect English, they were immegrants and children of immegrants from all over the world. This was just the frame of refence I grew up with, that when people tell me that immegrants and refugees are here for free hands outs and are lazy or are going to take"our jobs" well its just not the reality that I have seen with my own eyes.

Comment

I agree that not all immigrants are here to 'take our jobs' and 'live off handouts' but here in England there are a lot that are, and I'd probably even say the majority. The UK governments though, not just the one now I might add but the Labour one before, hasn't helped the situation and we have become the country that people want to come to because our benefit system IS that generous.

How many other countries could you go to and within a week of being in that country, get given 2500 a month in benefits, and house in London worth nearly 2 million pound? (that's actually happened by the way, a somalian family with 6 children as been given a property to live in paid for by the housing benefit).

We have employment laws now that are forcing companies to employ people from other countries over English people, and it doesn't matter if they can even do the job or not, they'll get preference over a Englishman that can, simply because they have to fill the quota set by the government.

Is it any wonder that the UK is the most popular destination when it comes to people wanting to gain access to a country, when our laws are geared to helping them out, more than the actual citizens of that country.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
        I agree that not all immigrants are here to 'take our jobs' and 'live off handouts' but here in England there are a lot that are, and I'd probably even say the majority. The UK governments though, not just the one now I might add but the Labour one before, hasn't helped the situation and we have become the country that people want to come to because our benefit system IS that generous.

How many other countries could you go to and within a week of being in that country, get given 2500 a month in benefits, and house in London worth nearly 2 million pound? (that's actually happened by the way, a somalian family with 6 children as been given a property to live in paid for by the housing benefit).

We have employment laws now that are forcing companies to employ people from other countries over English people, and it doesn't matter if they can even do the job or not, they'll get preference over a Englishman that can, simply because they have to fill the quota set by the government.

Is it any wonder that the UK is the most popular destination when it comes to people wanting to gain access to a country, when our laws are geared to helping them out, more than the actual citizens of that country.
        Wow that does not sound like good government policy at all!
        Do you have any links you could share so I could read more about that?

To be honest, daily, my Facebook feed shows me a case or two about people ranting how this refugee family got this money from the Canadian government, or how soldiers are forced to work as butlers to immegrants and all kinds of other non-sense. I look it up and it's always 100% factually incorrect. I let these people know (nicely, diplomatically) that what they are getting all mad about isn't actually true. Then they get mad at ME!? Telling me I don't respect my grandparents and I am going to ruin Canada. I stopped trying to use common sense, reason and good reliable news sources with these people and ignore them now.
        Sometimes people want to be angry, facts be damned! Sigh.

Comment

As far as links go, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on this forum, but if you look at a lot of the British newspaper sites, such as the independent or the Times, there's articles written on those, to name a few that you can check out. Also there's been a few TV programs on the subject, broadcast on the BBC that you can probably find on YouTube if that's any help?

I agree that you do have to be careful not to believe everything you see or read, especially on social networking sites as there's a lot of scaremongering but when reputable sites release stories like this, you have to start taking them seriously.

Comment

It's only a matter of time before the UK gets hit again, and I'm pretty sure ISIS will be planning something spectacular. The current situation with refugees flooding through Europe, many with the UK firmly in their sights,is the perfect foil for terrorists to slip through, unchecked. I have never been worried about travelling to London, as I do this regularly for work, but recently I have definitely been a lot more aware of what's going on around me. I always wear flat shoes when I go now, and have taken to carrying a rucksack with me when I do visit the smoke, rather than a handbag, because I can get more in it and I can put it on my back with my arms free if needed; in it I carry water, a flashlight, painkillers, some cash, a waterproof jacket and a couple of protein bars in case something goes down and I get stuck underground somewhere, or end up in a situation where I have to make my way somewhere on foot.

Comment

Working...
            X