Is Taliban changing their ways?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Taliban changing their ways?

I decided to make an update about Taliban because the news focuses took much about Isis. Last June Taliban still made an attack that injures many people but this July had been more Peaceful between Afghanistan and Taliban. There had been peace talks between Taliban and the Afghan government. They actually have an upcoming peace talk negotiations in China according to these Sources:

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...hina/30668029/

We know Taliban is known to be against women's rights but a woman will be involved on the peace talks:

http://nation.com.pk/international/2...s-with-taliban

We know Taliban is in War against Isis , so that must be the reason why they were changing their ways. Afghanistan use to be a very progressive country, in fact women there had rights before American women had their rights but we know what they did to Afghanistan. In just a decade a progressive country became a country with extremist views and doesn't give rights to women. Well, there seemed to be a change of heart because in the recent peace talks they were now supporting girl's right to be educated and women's right to work.

I don't know if the Afghan government is doing the right decision on trying to make peace with the group that oppressed their people but maybe this have something to do with the threat known as ISIS. I don't know what is happening with Taliban but I hope their change of heart is for real.

The rights of women in Afghanistan is still awful but it is improved at this moment. I am not sure if the Afghan government is doing the right solution but aside from the threat of Isis, they were now dealing with a new terrorist group known as the Islamic Jihad Union.
    The Afghan government and the Taliban are set to hold a formal meeting in China at the end of the month to discuss the possibility of launching peace talks between the warring sides, officials said Saturday.
    Last edited by Billy; 07-30-2015, 02:27 PM.

I just find this odd and kind of unbelievable. I mean, come on, the Taliban wants peace with the people they once called the infidels? I don't know what it is. Could it because ISIS poses a threat to everyone and the Taliban knows this? Hard to imagine that a once extreme group is now looking for peace.

Comment

It makes me scratch my head as well because once a upon a time they were killing and oppressing women and girls and now they we're making negotiations with female politicians who were women's rights advocates. Now they were making peace talks with the government too. This is a group that did a lot of crimes against humanity but ISIS were so extreme that even Taliban got disgusted. I was thinking maybe they were under s new leadership. I just hope they were for real. The Afghan government should not trust them.

Comment

Don't be very surprised to see Taliban and Afghanistan going to negociate about peace ! that doesn't means that they solve there problems, no, but they have something bigger to worry about, we all know that ISIS trying to spread their solders all over the near countries, and the next country they try to go in is Afghanistan, Taliban have some problems with ISIS and they are good in military side, and Afghanistan government doesn't want ISIS to come in, that's why they will make peace to be against ISIS together, once they solve ISIS problem I'm sure they will not be in peace anymore ...

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
          It makes me scratch my head as well because once a upon a time they were killing and oppressing women and girls and now they we're making negotiations with female politicians who were women's rights advocates. Now they were making peace talks with the government too. This is a group that did a lot of crimes against humanity but ISIS were so extreme that even Taliban got disgusted. I was thinking maybe they were under s new leadership. I just hope they were for real. The Afghan government should not trust them.

Speaking of atrocities, what I want to know is that with the peace talks, will the taliban members face war tribunals for the crimes against humanity. Peace talk are cool and all, but someone has to go down for the decades of rape and plundering. There are little girls that got raped and that has to be answered for and brought to justice. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbonner View Post
            Don't be very surprised to see Taliban and Afghanistan going to negociate about peace ! that doesn't means that they solve there problems, no, but they have something bigger to worry about, we all know that ISIS trying to spread their solders all over the near countries, and the next country they try to go in is Afghanistan, Taliban have some problems with ISIS and they are good in military side, and Afghanistan government doesn't want ISIS to come in, that's why they will make peace to be against ISIS together, once they solve ISIS problem I'm sure they will not be in peace anymore ...
            In other words, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I suspect that to happen. I wouldn't call this peace talks. I would be inclined to call it a cease fire. But you do have a point about ISIS being a problem for that region and everyone wants them to stay the hell out. For a short time having a common enemy might be what this country needed.

Comment

Aside from ISIS , the Afghan government are currently dealing with Islamic Jihad Union, a new terrorist group who wanted to take over. It makes me wonder how long will this alliance last. Is Taliban really serious with their change of heart about women's rights. I mean years ago they were proudly bragging about shooting Malalai Yousafzai, A 14 year old girl who just wanted to fight for her rights to be educated. Afghanistan already have female soldiers who fights on the line of danger. Is Taliban willing to work with the women they see as infidels.I have a feeling they will betray Afghanistan after ISIS is gone.
              Last edited by Billy; 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post

In other words, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I suspect that to happen. I wouldn't call this peace talks. I would be inclined to call it a cease fire. But you do have a point about ISIS being a problem for that region and everyone wants them to stay the hell out. For a short time having a common enemy might be what this country needed.
                Exactly, well said my friend, it's not a peace for ever, but let's just call it something that have benefits for both sides, so they have to forget about little problems and focus on something bigger, let's just hope that this peace will stay for ever and not just temporarily.

Comment

The alliance seemed to be indeed temporary but who knows, Aside from ISIS both sides were dealing with another terrorist group. Afghanistan use to be a peaceful country but it became a nation formed by war and extremism. As much as I want Taliban to pay their crimes of war, if peace talks is the only way this country in peace, I guess the government should go for It. They should not allow Taliban members to join politics though. That is the last thing this country needs.

Comment

No, not really. Even though there are tons of terrorist groups, not all of them share the same ideology and pursue the same goal. Moreover, some of them see others as their competitors or even enemies. Both, Taliban and ISIS, are radical. However, ISIS leaders don't wanna let Taliban rule their region. That's probably where it all stems from.

Comment

I think that the way people see the Taliban as changed, rather than it actually changing and that's all because of ISIS. Both groups are radical but ISIS have taken centre stage in the eyes of the world for now, and that by default makes the Taliban not feared or talked about as much.

They're still active and still a threat, just basically not as big as the other group is.

Comment

Before reading this post I have completely forgotten about Taliban, I was so focused and exposed to news about ISIS and Boko Haram ( Who have also seemed to die down ) that I didn't know Taliban was still an operational group. If they are engaging in negotiations and peace talks, then that is great to see. I hope they learn from ISIS's mistakes and realize that there is no need for terror. I pray that the negotiations with Afghanistan prove successful and they develop a peace treaty.

Comment

Based on today's tragic news from Pakistan I would say that it is a little premature to think that the Taliban has changed. They are still hateful, dangerous savages.

Comment

Working...
                          X