The media seemed to have a double standard when it comes to terrorism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The media seemed to have a double standard when it comes to terrorism

Though there are many Christian terrorist groups that were guilty for killing innocent people like the Lord's Resistance Army, Army of God, National Liberation front of Tripura,KKK and Anti-Balaka we don't really hear much about them. Even if they killed thousands of people there is not much media coverage that is internationally known. I want to discuss the case of Robert Doggart who is a former American Politician who is recorded to plot a terrorist attack to a small Muslim town in New York.

He basically plotted to hire a militia to attack and bomb a town in New York because all Residents of that town are Muslims. Imagine how many innocent lives would have been killed if his plans succeeded. I believe whether a terrorist is Muslim,Atheist, Buddhist or Christian, they should have a media coverage because they were a threat. Well he did have some media coverage but its not as sensationalized if the culprit is Muslim.

Unlike the arrested Muslims whom were caught plotting an attack, He is allowed to have a bail.
    The former Tennessee Congressional Candidate accused of planning to attack a local Islamic Community has pleaded not guilty.
    Last edited by Billy; 07-16-2015, 01:00 PM.
    missbishi likes this.

That's because America for the most part is Christian and Catholics. So why would they alienate and infuriate the people that they depend on for ratings and advertisement dollars. It always come down to greed and money as to what motivates people. It has nothing to do with what right and wrong, it just about money.

On a side note, did you know Adolf Hitler was a Christian? Why do you think he hated the Jews so much.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post
      That's because America for the most part is Christian and Catholics. So why would they alienate and infuriate the people that they depend on for ratings and advertisement dollars. It always come down to greed and money as to what motivates people. It has nothing to do with what right and wrong, it just about money.

On a side note, did you know Adolf Hitler was a Christian? Why do you think he hated the Jews so much.
      We should not judge so that we would not be judged also. Though as for terrorist groups, most of them are Islamic people that is why the notion of the people is that All Muslims are terrorists. And as of now, this is not a battle of money, its now a battle of belief just like IS. IS does not want money, they are just following there wrong belief.

Comment

Jade Mae Majority of terrorist groups are actually non Muslims. The number of Christian terrorist groups are actually more in percentage but they were not getting a media coverage. Only 6 percent of terrorist attacks in the US were done by Muslims. The Philippine government had been in war against NPA for decades yet you are not hearing a lot about NPA these days and that terrorist group were still exchanging bullets with our soldiers yet we are not hearing anything about it.

Comment

I never understood Christian hatred towards Jews. After all, Jesus was Jewish himself...

I agree that it's all about the money though. Incidents like this don't cause the right type of outrage, the type that attracts viewers. Therefore they are not profitable and airspace is taken up with the usual Islamophobic sensationalism instead.

Comment

The KKK members also extremely hates the Jews and if you told them Jesus is a Jew, they will deny it because in their beliefs he is European, which doesn't make sense at all because we all know Jesus is middle eastern.

People are assuming most terrorist are Muslims when they were actually a minority in a huge pool of terrorists. Media companies seemed to profit on demonizing Muslims. There are actually Muslim majority countries that are currently very peaceful, women have rights and the government is secular but media don't want to show them. Media didn't even show that most people in Iran are secular and wanted a secular government, they were just portrayed as hardcore Islamist.
            Last edited by Billy; 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

For me, terrorists are terrorists. I do not care whether they are Muslim or Catholic. If they do terrorist acts like murder, rape or torture, they should be exposed for the world to see. They should be punished accordingly especially for hurting and killing innocent people. The fact is, there are evil people in this world that may be Muslim or Catholic. Their religion is just a small part of them. Their actions dictate their identity more than their religion.
              KimberlyD likes this.

Comment

Can you guys imagine if Robert Doggart won a Congressional election ? His evil plans might have been successful if he won an election. This is the reason why people should vote. Imagine if many people Didn't vote, a guy like him will be in power. There are now people protesting against him but as usual, there is no media coverage.

There is actually terrorism in Latin America but you won't see much about them in CNN, ABC,BBC and Fox news. International news programs seemed to only report terrorism if the culprit is Muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post

I never understood Christian hatred towards Jews. After all, Jesus was Jewish himself...

I agree that it's all about the money though. Incidents like this don't cause the right type of outrage, the type that attracts viewers. Therefore they are not profitable and airspace is taken up with the usual Islamophobic sensationalism instead.

I also quote that to them as well, and most of them have no idea that he was a Jew, and Jew follow the Old Testament.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade Mae View Post
                    We should not judge so that we would not be judged also. Though as for terrorist groups, most of them are Islamic people that is why the notion of the people is that All Muslims are terrorists. And as of now, this is not a battle of money, its now a battle of belief just like IS. IS does not want money, they are just following there wrong belief.

Read the topic of the thread. I commented on how the media has double standards and I concluded that the american viewers are christians and catholics and they wouldn't approve of the message and their views are needed for ratings. Ratings means advertising dollars, but you seem to not understand this at all. You on the other hand want to make this thread a crusade to discredit ISIS. Your reply has nothing to do with the main topic.

Comment

The only Christian extremist that being reported on TV are the Westboro Baptist church but I don't think I can qualify them as terrorist because all they do is to make protests on the streets and upload hate propaganda songs on YouTube and by far I haven't heard them doing activities that caused death to many people by far.

I notice Most Americans don't seem to care about the attempted terrorist attack of Robert Doggart. If the Suspect of an attempted attack is a Muslim, he will be on the news everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade Mae View Post
                        The definition of a terrorist group is a any group that uses "violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims." So many groups can fall under this. It is NOT primarily an Islamic thing, it's not just a religious thing either. It's just the current "war on terror" is far from that, it excludes most of the worlds largest "terrorist" organizations.

I think that in some ways, the ISIS events over the last few years are totally about money. ISIS is a power hungry organization, they are looking to take over all of the middle east and north Africa. They make billions of dollars, and
                        recruit from the area's poor and uneducated, which there are lots of thanks to constant warfare over the last 15 years (30 in Afghanistan.)
                        The religious aspect is just one of the tools they use to achive these objectives.
                        KimberlyD likes this.

Comment

What a great post, and a great view point. Really eye opening to think about this in this manner. Thank you for your perspective on this matter. This is totally true and the media really does have a double standard in this.

Comment

Originally posted by BranTheScooterMan View Post

The definition of a terrorist group is a any group that uses "violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims." So many groups can fall under this. It is NOT primarily an Islamic thing, it's not just a religious thing either. It's just the current "war on terror" is far from that, it excludes most of the worlds largest "terrorist" organizations.

I think that in some ways, the ISIS events over the last few years are totally about money. ISIS is a power hungry organization, they are looking to take over all of the middle east and north Africa. They make billions of dollars, and
                            recruit from the area's poor and uneducated, which there are lots of thanks to constant warfare over the last 15 years (30 in Afghanistan.).
                            Yeah not all terrorist groups are religiously motivated, there is a terrorist group that got formed because they wanted their region of residents to become a separate country like IRA, a group that wanted Northern Ireland to gain Independence from UK. Then there is Animal Liberation front which is a group of radical vegans. Terrorists comes into all shapes and sizes but it is the Islamic ones that gets all media attention. There are many Christian terrorist groups who made shocking attacks but the media dont care if there were threat because they were not Muslims.

Comment

A lot of people check the "Christian " box, but it not 17% truly live their lives in accordance with scripture, probably even less because some people aren't completely honest, even on anonymous surveys. Tre disciples of Christ are a pretty small minority in the U.S., and really everywhere in the world. These groups who call themselves Christian, yet behave in opposition to the teachings of Christ are not Christians at all.
                              KimberlyD likes this.

Comment

Working...
                              X