Human Trafficking and kidnapping.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Trafficking and kidnapping.

This is a topic that none of us like to even think about, and I am not sure if this is the right catagory for it; but we have the Boko haram kidnapping in here; so it seemed the closest of anything.
    We sometimes hear of people, usually children or teenage girls, who just disappear, and then are never seen again, or even found dead.
    They just vanish.
    Many of these disappearances are related to human trafficking. We like to think that kidnapping people and selling them into slavery (like the Muslims did in Africa) does not happen anymore; but the truth is that it does happen, you just don't ever hear about it.
    Usually, the person just disappears, and is never found again, so there is no way to know what has happened to them; but if you search this topic online; you will find that it happens, and it happens a lot.

Apparently, often times, the kidnappers use a generic looking white van. I suppose that is because there are so many of them that are used as common work vans.
    Utility companies, carpet cleaners, electricians, and many other people use a white van; and for that reason, it has become almost invisible to us. We just see it , but ignore it.

Statistics show that many of the people who have disappeared and never been found, were seen being followed by a white van, and also people who do not get kidnapped, report being followed by one, but any intended abduction is diverted by other people coming on the scene.
    Here is an article detailing some of these episodes that have happened , and explaining more about it .

http://allnewspipeline.com/Strange_W...ing_People.php
    Diane Lane likes this.

Things like this always catch my eye. There are so many people who go missing, particularly young girls, and also boys, who are abducted, and then sold into (often sexual) slavery. People like to think there is no slavery these days, but that is incorrect. Houston happens to be a hub for human trafficking here in the United States. The girls are often smuggled across the border into Texas, and brought here to the Houston area, where they are used for prostitution. Networks often move the girls around the country frequently, because the longer they stay in one place, the greater the likelihood that someone will catch on. There is also the issue of people being brought in, often immigrants from Central America and Mexico, who pay to be smuggled by coyotes or guides. Their money is taken, and they are not released upon arriving here, but are put to work and extorted for additional money. It's not unusual to see stories on the news here about 'stash houses' where large numbers of these immigrants are found. They are locked in one or more rooms, and held there until they can be transported or put to work.

One of my favorite restaurants has a notice on the door about human trafficking, which I love. Every time I go there, I am thankful that someone is showing that they care, and spreading the word about human and sexual trafficking.

Comment

The moment I clicked the link, I was shocked to find out it is in the United States. I never expected at all because I thought it is only happening in 3rd world countries. It is really disturbing that such a group of dangerous people are are lurking around places with children. Parents should watch over their children and they should make sure to keep their children safe from these kind of people. People should also teach kids to to not talk with strangers wj are adults.

Comment

It's horrible that this could happen to anyone, but the whole white van thing is a bit of a trope. The reality is that the US is much more likely to be a destination of trafficking victims than a source. What makes someone more likely to be a victim is living in a poorer country, coming from a poorer area, or simply being female.

Comment

This is scary, sometimes we are not aware (or we don't wanna see) all the bad things that could happen to us or to a relative/friend... Sometimes I found my self thinking about kidnapping or human trafficking as something so unrealistic, something that happens to other people or something that doesn't happen anymore, but it sadly does. And what I think it was the most shocking thing about the link was the dates of those tragedies, they are relatively recent, that shows us that it is actually happening and it can be anyone.

Comment

I believe that women should consider having Martial lessons so the have more chances of defending their selves. There are Martial arts that can be very useful to women even if their attacker is stronger and bigger. Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can help women to defend their selves from being abducted by a strings assailant with those Martial arts because it gives them an ability to take the assailant's size and strength againts them. Women can also increase their security by trying to learn how to use a gun.

Comment

This is a big problem in Mexcio as well.
              People are kidnapped for ransom or for political motives.

Comment

I remember these past few months that many girls in our country were abducted and raped in vans. Can you imagine how frightening that is? I shudder just imagining it. This one news story told the story of one girl. She was walking home along the highway at night about 8pm. She did not know that a van was following her. She was just caught by surprise when men in bonnets grabbed her and took her inside a van. They took turns raping her. Then they left her in an isolated area where some old couple found her and took her to the police. Until now I get chills imagining what happened to her that night.

Comment

I have been reading stories like this from my newsfeed. I think kidnappings are more rampant in the developed
                  countries. Most probably to be used for white slavery. As for developing countries, human trafficking is more
                  common because of the promise of earning a lot of money to be able to feed your family.

That's why as a parent, it is really imporatant to watch over our children. This may sound as over acting but
                  whenever we are out I always make sure that they stay close to me. I also taught them not to go with strangers.

Comment

You might as well add human organ trafficking. Here where I live, people disappear mysteriously only to be found dead later with their kidneys and other organs removed. There are things going on around me that I can't even imagine in my worst nightmares. People tell me stories that leave me speechless. Sex slavery is not unusual in this part of the world. Kids don't necessarily get kidnapped, but they are being offered by their parents or family members to wealthy foreigners who have "special" sexual appetites. I've seen boys and girls as young as 10, sniffing glue on the streets while waiting for customers.

Comment

Stories like this really scare me. I think that its very very important for young girls to never walk alone. I feel like these predators are trying to spot a naive and nice girl who they can easily just talk away. Therefore I think the most important thing to do is for young girls or any woman of any age to learn how to defend herself. Its also very important to be as cautious as possible and to think a few steps ahead. Being aware of our surroundings while walking is another crucial thing to do.

Comment

Los Angeles is reported as being one of the major gateways on this subject. When you go into the subways there are signs everywhere about keeping an eye out for possible human trafficking victims. It is sad that it still occurs but there is a lot of money involved in the industry and so there are money hungry people out there taking advantage of it. The best way to prevent kidnapping is to teach your kids to travel in packs. Never go anywhere alone. They target only those that are alone, when they are with others they do not attempt to kidnap.
                        Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
                        Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

I have been aware of this for many years, but still don't know of anything I can personally do to help stop it. I would certainly take note of odd behavior if I saw it, but I have not seen anything I recognized to date. There is s missing girl from my town that I and many others unfortunately believe has been trafficked. She was planning to run away with two other friends and was going to be meet someone, no one knows what happened, but she never connected with he friends, and her car was found in a ditch with her phone in it and the SIM card removed. It's been months and no word. Most people think someone tricked her by offering to help her get where at was wanting to go, but instead kidnapped her.

Comment

People should be really careful on whom to trust. I know there is a saying "Don't trust strangers" but there are times were someone we consider as a friend is the one who betrays us. I remember the story of a girl who was sold by her friend to a group of men who wanted to rape her. I know someone who is victimized by an illegal recruited to human trafficking by her mother's friend, she is promised to have a job but she is sold for prostitution. Runaway teens were also a huge target by these human traffickers.

Comment

In Los Angeles it is hard to determine odd behavior... odd behavior is the norm out there. I tried keeping an eye out when I was there, but was unable to see anything stranger then normal there myself. So we (my boyfriend and I) started looking out for the street kids that were their. They are a target out there for human traffickers. Many people look out for them as well as they look out for one another. However, even then... they are still vulnerable.
                              Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
                              Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Working...
                              X