Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you really think Education will really end terrorism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you really think Education will really end terrorism?

"Education can defeat terrorism."

I heard this statement from world leaders like a President of a certain country (forgot his name) and Queen Rania of Jordan. The inspirational teenage girl Malala Yousafzai also used this statement on her Nobel Peace Prize speech. The only thing that contradicts this statement is the fact of that Isis and Taliban has College educated members and there are uneducated people who are good people. If you think about it though, Majority of the minions of these terrorist groups are not educated. Usually they were young men and boys who lives in poverty. They were manipulated by the sweet talk of the leaders of this group. On the other hand there is a communist terrorist group in the Philippines known as NPA and they recruit Christian college boys and girls to join them. So in the Case of NPA, We have educated people who still ends up as terrorist.

Do you really think Education can end terrorism?

Off topic: The favorite brand of soap of Taliban members is dove and their favorite shampoo is head and shoulders.

How about education about their religion? Islam strictly forbids suicide and murder,but they do right ? I feel that gets it at the root.To be educated is to have a universal base of knowledge with a foundation of critical thinking skills. You cannot believe in the absurdity of Islam that these hateful imbeciles promote and still be "educated".
    however what do we mean when we use the word education? Can u brief us a little more on it.?
    Billy likes this.

Comment

One of the primary tenants of many terrorist and their organizations, is that they will control the masses and education and media are the first to suffer. They simply don't want the masses to learn anything that they are not feeding them. As bala mentions...the first place to start is education about their religion and what view of that religion the terrorist take...moderate, fundamentalist, etc. The reality is that most terrorist offer no option but to comply for the masses to step up to... or be shot - or worse.

Education is not the panacea you may think, especially as concerns terror and terrorist...religion is more of a factor and those that hold sway are not likely to compromise or hear/see other sides of the discussion. Some times the only response to force and violence is a larger force and a more profound violence, with an intent to destroy the enemy, such that their tenants will never be heard from again.

But that construct is neither Christian, humane or PC in our new, modern world - yet that is the outcome most desired by all.

Comment

We can educate all we like but we cannot override human nature. The need for power and dominance are human traits and whilst I do agree that education is both valuable and needed, we'll need to find ways of controlling these urges in people (in an ethical manner) if we want to see an end to terrorism.

Comment

There will always be influential people everywhere, ones who can make sane people do crazy things, believe in the wrong stuff, do terrible things for "religious" reasons. You can educate people and it might lessen terrorist after a few years, but perhaps some people prefer learning from influential terrorist group leaders, because they say what people want to hear!

Comment

Education will never accomplish anything regarding terrorism. The problem is there is no common ground for religion and education. The smartest man in the world could be brought down with religion. What are you going to teach them, anyway? Science? Haha, I don't think so. There seems to be no room at all in people's minds for science and religion. Educating a terrorist will do nothing but maybe give him some new ideas for how to kill people.

Comment

What sort of education? I once made a treatise about Islam peace education as a viable method for reducing terrorist incidents and diluting hostile mindsets among predominantly Muslim populations. It's a shot in the dark but a more favorable option than all-out war. You need a lot of patience and grit to successfully implement peace education. One of the redeeming features of this program is that educators are encouraged to zoom in on the peaceful provisions of the Quran and instill among young Muslim students the values of peace.
              Last edited by xTinx; 05-21-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                "Education can defeat terrorism."

I heard this statement from world leaders like a President of a certain country (forgot his name) and Queen Rania of Jordan. The inspirational teenage girl Malala Yousafzai also used this statement on her Nobel Peace Prize speech. The only thing that contradicts this statement is the fact of that Isis and Taliban has College educated members and there are uneducated people who are good people. If you think about it though, Majority of the minions of these terrorist groups are not educated. Usually they were young men and boys who lives in poverty. They were manipulated by the sweet talk of the leaders of this group.

On the other hand there is a communist terrorist group in the Philippines known as NPA and they recruit Christian college boys and girls to join them. So in the Case of NPA, We have educated people who still ends up as terrorist.
                Will education end terrorism? Nope. I think the end of religion will end terrorism. That seems to always be the culprit in terrorism. By the way Quran is loaded with verses of "death to the infidels". I don't care how you like to interpret that, it's plain and easy to see.

As far as the NPA in the Philippines. From my understanding the are not muslims or religiously motivated. They are against government corruption and the Philippines is loaded with that. They fight because the poverty is so bad there that they take up arms because the are sick and tired of being at the bottom of the food chain.

Comment

• Billy
                  Billy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really, Atheist terrorist groups exist, communist terrorist groups exist and there is even a Vegan terrorist group. Yes animal rights activist bombing animal research facilities, they kill people just to save some rabbits and mice. Sometimes religion is actually the cause of peace.

Most of the members of NPA are Christians but there are some atheist as well. I have a cousin who studied in UP and someone tried to recruit him to join. I think they were targeting college kids because they have a rebellious streak they can take advantage of. This makes me really question if Education can really decrease terrorism. Poverty seemed like a factor but there are rich kids who became terrorist too.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
                  We can educate all we like but we cannot override human nature.
                  I disagree.

The right types of education can can override that aspect of our nature. It may not kill off that part of our nature entirely, but it can help us see how futile and detrimental to our own survival it really is.

Comment

I have never personally heard that statement, but I am sure it could be true. If we have all these young people following throughout education, they may actually find something they like in life rather than terrorism and such. So yes, I agree completely!

Comment

I guess yes. Education is a big help to anyone, for us to understand the world around us. Education let us know what love and care is. Educations tells us what peace is and how to achieve it. There are lots of values we really can learn from education. Education is the solution, this is also a way of socializing with other people, to learn how to value each other and to let other people know the value of peace.

Comment

Education is a double-edged sword. For one, if you teach people with a lot of things, they realize what's right and wrong. They will understand things they have never heard before. On the other hand, it opens their eyes to a lot of the things they didn't know. They will ask more questions, the how's and why's of things. I think that what we need to do is to make it sure that when people are learning and are being educated, peace is being rooted in their lives. That having a peaceful live and a peaceful world would allow them to use their new knowledge to do greater, better things.

Comment

Yes is my answer to the thread title but still I have some reservations on the type of schools. Like here, some schools are known to produce activists and activism is the mother of terrorism. Pardon me for saying that but I am only basing my words on what I see. My former high school classmates who became activists during the college days have become terrorists of sorts later on. They would be kidnapping people and killing people on the pretext that they are fighting for a cause. But not really.

Comment

Yes, that is a nice addition. We should give more importance in educating about various religions. it should emphasize on what really a religion is meant for and what it wants from us as humans. I think the crux of any religion is to be a good human being. All this evil things happen when we kill religion for our selfish needs.

So, in short keeping them more informed about religion will make them hesitant to join terrorists in their inhuman activities.

Originally posted by bala View Post
                            How about education about their religion? Islam strictly forbids suicide and murder,but they do right ? I feel that gets it at the root.To be educated is to have a universal base of knowledge with a foundation of critical thinking skills. You cannot believe in the absurdity of Islam that these hateful imbeciles promote and still be "educated".
                            however what do we mean when we use the word education? Can u brief us a little more on it.?
                            I

Comment

Working...
                            X