A mother whose son died fighting for isis warns other parents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mother whose son died fighting for isis warns other parents

Christianne talks about how her son became an isis militant, he died last year fighting for isis near Aleppo Syria She tells the story about how her son insisted that he wanted to go to Egypt to study linguistics but instead he went there to join isis.

You can find the full story below
    It's been a year since ISIS has become a household name in America, using brutality and savvy online propaganda to lure people to its ranks. U.S. prosecutions of would-be recruits have exploded. At...

Wow, that is so sad. I hope she finds nothing but love and support. Her son deceived her, it was his independent choice. I know she must feel so much guilt anyway because that's how mothers are, but it's not her fault.

Comment

Some people are more vulnerable than others, and he sounds as if he was definitely duped. From her description, it made me think he perhaps shouldn't have been living on his own, since he didn't seem to have the emotional maturity to discern truth from propaganda. The ironic part is that he was obviously unaware of how ISIS treats women and children.

Comment

It does seem as though he was feeling like a "misfit" so maybe ISIS recruiters preyed on this and made him feel important and promised him that he would be part of something.

To think that his mother thought he was away studying too. That must have been some shock.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
          It does seem as though he was feeling like a "misfit" so maybe ISIS recruiters preyed on this and made him feel important and promised him that he would be part of something.
          I think you probably hit the nail in the head here. What these terrorists promise is paradise for doing these things in the name of Islam. Someone who is a Muslim and very sincerely wanting to please there god is going to be potentially vulnerable to this kind of propaganda because as I understand it, only those who die in Jihad are promised paradise, everyone else has no certainty, even if they follow the teachings and rules.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder how these young minds are brainwashed? I mean, what compels them to leave all of it behind, even their family to join a group with such notorious reputation? Can mere words be so powerful?

Comment

That is truly heartbreaking. Considering the degree of depravity ISIS has engaged in, it does make one wonder how this young man was sucked into their ranks. It is not like volunteering some time at a local food bank or something.
              "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

This terrorist group is managing to manipulate naive young men join them via social media. Why Facebook and twitter are not trying to ban their accounts. They should not be allowed to have social media accounts. In a way owners of social media website owners are a bit responsible. This group publicly recruits people and they were doing nothing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingLady View Post

I think you probably hit the nail in the head here. What these terrorists promise is paradise for doing these things in the name of Islam. Someone who is a Muslim and very sincerely wanting to please there god is going to be potentially vulnerable to this kind of propaganda because as I understand it, only those who die in Jihad are promised paradise, everyone else has no certainty, even if they follow the teachings and rules.

I suspect that they are told that suicide is the ultimate act of martyrdom. I can certainly see how the promise of a life in paradise would seem preferable to one of poverty and sickness to those who believe.

Comment

Not just poverty and sickness, even affluent people can be miserable, suffer from depression or a general dissatisfaction with everything in their life. Someone who sees no hope in this life can be brainwashed into something like this because they don't feel that they have anything to lose anyway when they are miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by calicer1996 View Post
                      Sometimes I wonder how these young minds are brainwashed? I mean, what compels them to leave all of it behind, even their family to join a group with such notorious reputation? Can mere words be so powerful?
                      I think it boils down to the fact that sometimes people hear what they want to hear. Someone who is a misfit in normal society will be especially vulnerable to anybody who tells them they can be accepted by joining a like mind group.

Comment

It's confusing how people can suddenly leave everything they have just to join a group of terrorists. And as NigelT said, it's probably not hard to brainwash people as long as you tell them things they want to hear using specific words and tone, making you believe them.

Comment

feel sorry for that mom.She would have had big ideas and thoughts on her son and he shattered it all.This really is a cause of concern because the ISIS somehow acts as a magnet to pick up youngsters because they know they can take them in with relative ease.
                          Maybe a close monitoring of their activities all across can help in deciding what they are doing and what the corrective measure ca nbe.

Comment

These young men don't even care about how much they punish their mothers. They were fighting a war where they were being used as a pawn while their mothers are being heavily worried about their safety. If they succeed on that war, one of the first people this terror group will punish is their own mother. They joined a group that is very disrespectful against women's rights. They have a mother who loves them and they owe their lives from a woman and they joined a group that is against women.

Comment

Idealistic young people are attracted to ISIS. There should be a deeper study on the matter to determine why those young people would exchange their career and quiet life with the rough and tumble lifestyle of ISIS. Getting into war is no easy task and they know it. As what Billy said, those idealistic youth don't realize the punishment they are giving to their parents. It's a sad fact that we have to deal with for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X