U.S. Government Animal Testing Programs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Government Animal Testing Programs

Been reading a lot of articles on how our government tests animals to do research on toxic chemicals and pesticides. Not to mention biological warfare weapons! A lethal poisoning test invented around the time of World War I—in which animals are force-fed increasing doses of a chemical until they die–is still the single most common animal test in use today. Government regulations still require chemical manufacturers to squirt burning chemicals into rabbits’ eyes and onto their shaved skin.

Typically mice are used for these types of tests.
    People forget how closely related we are too rodents.
    It does not sound great does it?
    But I don't see how we can properly test things out without using animals first.

Comment

Well, t obe absolutely honest, that's how most of the life-saving drugs are made too. The prototype drug is injected/applied to a test animal until it shows side effects or dies, and that's how the effective doses and lethal doses of drugs are determined. Then after it has reached a relatively 'safe' value, then, and only then it's tried on willing human test subjects, to determine whether there are any adverse effects on the human system. Sounds barbaric, right? Well, if it wasn't done, you wouldn't have those flu/acne medications you use whenever you get sick. Or the antibiotics that literally save millions of lives ever single month. You have to choose one. Because the world is not so black and white as we'd like it to be.
      BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

I second what UnslaadKrosis says about the world not being as subtle as we want it to be. It's the unfortunate reality that saves lives.
        Without it, your kids might not be able to cure their flu and heck knows what could happen after that. The superior species takes advantage of the inferior minority to better their own lives. It's how it works, survival of the fittest. I also think it's not right though and I hope that in the future we can test medications and drugs without using animals. As long as the animals are put down afterwards and not left to prolonged pain and suffering, I'm alright with it. There are people doing worse things out there without any positive cause. It needs to be done for the better of mankind I guess.

The problem is that there aren't many other ways you can really test a drug. There are volunteer projects where people will do drug trials, but the life threatening things have to be left to the animals. If it's done in a dignified and proper manner, it's being done for the good of everyone.

Comment

I've also got mixed opinions about this aswell, and while I'm against animal cruelty, would I be as much against it if the drug that had been tested on an animal, went on to save my own life or the life of a loved one? Of course I wouldn't.

I think most people would agree that medical testing is something that is for the good of everyone, cosmetics manufacturers that test on animals need to be stopped, and stopped now.

Comment

This is such a relevant issue. I do love dogs and cats, we have six dogs and one cat in our house actually. That being said, am I against animal testing? How can I be so? Every medicine we have now were tested on animals first. From the cancer medicines, to the diabetes medicines, all of them. Before we were able to use them, scientists tested them on animals first to know whether they can be suitable for human consumption. I admit, it's unfair to the animals but how else are we going to test those medicines?

I think as long as the animals are treated well and not tortured, it's fine. And also, they should also be tested on only as a last resort, when we don't have any other choice.

Comment

That's the point Briannagodess. Some of these animals aren't even treated well and a number of them end up dying painful and excruciating deaths. Drug side effects can be brutal during the initial testing period. Scientists need a sacrificial lamb to bear the burden of their experiments in case of failure. Once they achieve perfection, meaning zero deaths and negative consequences, they then proceed to generate income.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                That's the point Briannagodess. Some of these animals aren't even treated well and a number of them end up dying painful and excruciating deaths. Drug side effects can be brutal during the initial testing period. Scientists need a sacrificial lamb to bear the burden of their experiments in case of failure. Once they achieve perfection, meaning zero deaths and negative consequences, they then proceed to generate income.
                Then that's the issue here, if the animals are intentionally hurt or tortured. But in that sense, scientists do test the drugs on them to know what the effects are. So if they have a new drug and they don't know the effects yet, it's not really their intention hurt the animals in the process. I know it can be quite disheartening knowing that these animals are the sacrificial lambs, like you said. But there really is no other way except testing the drugs on humans. And that could amount to hundreds or thousands of deaths in humans if a drug doesn't work well.

In reality, it's still survival of the fittest. Just a question, would you rather that prisoners become the sacrificial lambs? Just a thought that popped in my mind. Granted, they are the prisoners with the most heinous crimes like rape, murder or child abuse.

Comment

The way animals are treated is something that we all need to be more aware of. Animal abuse certainly happens in lab animals; but it also happens in animals and livestock that are grown for food. It used to be that each family hunted or raised whatever animal they were going to kill and eat for food, and they killed the animal as rapidly and humanely as possible, at least for the most part.
                  Now, everything is mechanized, and horrible atrocities are commited while processing livestock and poultry as food.
                  Most peple are totally removed from sourcing their own food, and many have never seen the actual cow, just the milk it produces, much less do we know how to hunt and process our own meat.
                  Even dogs that are supposedly kept as pets sometimes live a terrible life, and even worse are the ones used as fighting dogs, or bait dogs for the fighting dogs.
                  Testing drugs at least has a purpose, and if done humanely, might be justifiable since it does also save people's lives.
                  However, there is NEVER any excuse for the unwarranted cruelty to animals that some of them have to suffer.

Comment

I think that's a really good point, and while I think most people would agree that animal testing for medical purposes is a necessary evil, how the animals get treated in a lab environment is still important.

That animal might end up being tested on, but at least it should be kept and looked after in a humane and loving way until the testing takes place. There's no excuse for mistreatment of animals, no matter what the outcome is going to be.

Comment

Working...
                    X