Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colombia declares 6 new national parks to protect ecosystems from the mining industry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colombia declares 6 new national parks to protect ecosystems from the mining industry

In many parts of of the world mining is undertaken without prior environmental assessment to determine the possible impact such activities will have on the land and the people who live on it.
    Mining doesn't only destroy natural habitats but it also uses severely polluting methods in doing so. Often, people who live in areas that are heavily exploited by mining companies, are no longer able to utilize their land, and consequently lose their livelihoods.
    One of the ways to protect these people and natural ecosystems is to declare various regions as protected National Parks.
    How does the mining industry affect your country?
    http://colombiareports.com/colombia-...ational-parks/

I remember a mining company in my country polluted a river that is once pure and pristine and the villages around that river have fishing as livelihood. You can imagine how much mining destroyed the livelihood of the people. Many people also got sick because of all the chemicals in the river.

Mining also caused a lot of landslides in one municipality in my country. I believe my country should focus in Agriculture and tourism instead of Mining. I believe Mining only works in deserts.

Comment

Working...
    X