Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dept. of Homeland Security moves deadly virus bio-lab to Tornado Alley !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dept. of Homeland Security moves deadly virus bio-lab to Tornado Alley !

Sometimes, it just makes you wonder about the people who make these kinds of decisions, doesn't it ?
    In 1929, the government was able to eradicate an epidemic of hoof and mouth disease, which killed many of our cattle herds. The government opened a special bio-lab to study this deadly disease, and later expanded it to study other dangerous viruses; some of which have no known vaccine.

The original lab was placed on the very shores of the eastern seaboard, where the prevailing winds would carry any virus out over the ocean, should there be any kind of an accident.
    In 2002, the DHS took over the lab, and has now decided to build a new one and move the lab right into the country;s heartland, where many of our livestock are being raised. Ranchers in the area are justifiably upset about this.
    Even worse, the lab is being located in Kansas, which is right in the very heart of Tornado Alley.
    And let's just suppose that a tornado does touch down here and destroyed the security of the lab, the prevailing winds would now blow eastward across our major population centers on the East Coast.
    Smart, huh ?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._research.html
    Zyni, Diane Lane and fcphdJim like this.

Don't worry about it! They are highly-trained government employees and they are here to take care of us.

All I can say is, "Wow, that's intelligent!"
    Zyni and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

• Tumbleweed
      Tumbleweed commented
      Editing a comment
      fcphdJim, YOU can say that. You are safe out there in Washington State where the winds are not likely to carry any deadly viruses or other diseases when the tornado hits the bio-lab.
      The rest of us out here probably will worry, even if the government is taking care of us (?).

• SarahWorksAtHome
      SarahWorksAtHome commented
      Editing a comment
      Tumbleweed I think he's just being sarcastic, not meaning literally they're gonna take care of us. LOL

Washington state's climate, at least the western side is perfect for propagating and spreading disease. Pandemic flu is one of the the likely disaster scenarios out here. We don't have tornadoes granted, but we have ideal conditions for an air borne pathogen to flourish here.
    Diane Lane likes this.

Comment

The government did an audit several years back. They decided to check out if anyone lied about their degree or past work experience. A crazy amount of people had lied. I was under the impression they all got fired. But it would appear they just got transferred to DHS.
      Zyni, Diane Lane and fcphdJim like this.

Comment

With the government's recent track record, there isn't a single federal agency that I would trust to make any rational decision, let alone take care of me. Then again, I've always believed in personal responsibility rather than reliance on government anyway. However, when they do something as completely stupid as this that endangers many people it rises above the level of regular agency bumbling. Someone should be held accountable, especially if anything bad happens.
        Zyni, LilAnn and 2 others like this.

Comment

fcphdJim Tumbleweed Decisions such as this one certainly do make one ponder whether they're based on actual stupidity, or an attempt to endanger citizens. I don't suppose the lab is going to be underground? I've worked at federal agencies, so I don't doubt either scenario. I'm also not surprised to hear about credential fudging LilAnn, and bear in mind those with higher level credentials are paid more, so that's additional tax money being siphoned out of the coffers.

Comment

Originally posted by fcphdJim View Post
            With the government's recent track record, there isn't a single federal agency that I would trust to make any rational decision, let alone take care of me. Then again, I've always believed in personal responsibility rather than reliance on government anyway. However, when they do something as completely stupid as this that endangers many people it rises above the level of regular agency bumbling. Someone should be held accountable, especially if anything bad happens.
            If something happens someone will be held accountable. It won't be the person responsible. It'll be a scapegoat... the new Ollie North.

Comment

Brilliant! I bet next, they'll build a swine flu bio-lab next to a pig farm and a radiation lab next to a cancer treatment center.
              Those brains running things... they are just something else sometimes.

Comment

Is this for real? The government in its infinite wisdom has made another decision that is so ridiculous it would laughable if it weren't so serious. I mean, I thought this was a joke at first glance.

Ah, don't you just love the smell (or should I say stench) or your tax dollars at work?

Some say the risk assessment done by the agency was not even close. Apparently, there is more like a 70% chance of things going wrong:

"In 2010, the National Academy of Sciences conducted an independent risk-assessment of the proposal and concluded that there was a 70 percent probability that an outbreak could occur over the course of the 50-year predicted lifespan of the laboratory."

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire....-tornado-alley

Comment

Working...
                X