Would you approve if your son/daughter decided to join the Military

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you approve if your son/daughter decided to join the Military

I know many of the members here are parents so I decided to make a poll that you might find interesting. Currently the world is experiencing a lot of conflicts and problems when it comes to securities. We have war against terrorism in the Middle east and Africa. Russia have conflicts against Ukraine and Georgia. last but not the least the tension of China against ASEAN nations and Japan. Actually it will take me multiple pages if I will evaluate all the current conflicts in this world.

Many Men and women joins the military to serve their country and to some extent, the world. If your son or daughter told you that they wan't to join the military and that is their calling, Are you going to approve? Knowing the dangers waiting for him./her, Are you going to let them pursue such dream. I remember on a book I read, a character said "Soldiers join the military to serve their nation but they were nothing but pawns."

Joining the Military is now always about wars and national security BTW. Military people does rescue and relief operations during natural disasters as well.

Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%

I absolutely would. I would be terrified out of my mind for her but also incredibly proud. My daughter is 11 and her goal is to become a missionary and a veterinarian. She has scoliosis and asthma along with a couple other health issues that may hinder her from being able to join the military, but if she were able to and wanted to I'd be behind her for sure.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      Becoming a missionary is also dangerous. I admire that she have the courage to have that dream. I know someone who decided to be a missionary in an Islamic country and you know the dangers of converting religions on that region.

I would not. I am the type that cares, I know that being on the Military Could help the country during crisis but as of these days, I definitely would not allow my son/daughter (if I would have in the future) , because terrors are now all over the world. I was dreamed of being on the military and why not let my sons continue my dream? It all changed when terrorists are now rising and crime rates are also rising. It's dangerous, treasure life! Sorry but we have our own feeling about this

Comment

I would approve of my son to join the military but never my daughter. The military is for the men and I don't think I would have peace of mind when my daughter would be entering an organization full of men. I have a female cousin who entered the police academy. She is now in the national police with a rank that I was not able to ask. She is assigned work in the office.

Back to the academy, my cousin had experienced all kinds of sexual harrassment, from groping to all parts of her body. To save her from further abuse, one officer who was courting her became her boyfriend. After graduation, she lived in with her boyfriend and bore him a daughter who is now 15 years old. That's the reason why I wouldn't approve of my daughter to join the military.

Comment

• Billy
        Billy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a female cousin who is in the US Military and she didn't seem to experience abuse. She is now sniper. So you can imagine how much danger she is experiencing. She don't want to be in the office, she wanted to fight.

I would let my children do it. They would have to be adults and they can do whatever they want to do. As long as they have thought it out and it was for the right reasons, I can't really say anything.

There are many advantages and retirement perks if you successfully complete 20 years of service. All of my friends have medical and pay benefits for the rest of their lives because of the military. They also got a free education and or technical skill. Lots of benefits if you can handle people breathing down you neck for the next 20 years of your life.

Comment

• Billy
        Billy commented
        Editing a comment
        My uncle is retired now and yes the benefits he gets were amazing. All of his children have great education because they a scholarship because their father is a veteran. he have a high position so his salary is until his retirement helped his family a lot. No one also messes with their family.

I am a highly emotional person and whenever a loved one or family member is in trouble, I would always come to the rescue just like a protective mother lion to her cub. That's why I could never allow my child to join the military even if he says it's his calling. Call it selfish but I could die out of worrying for my child's life every time he'd be in the battle field.

Comment

My feelings would be mixed. On one hand, I would feel extremely proud of them and would want to encourage them but on the other hand, I suppose there would always be this underlying fear that they would end up getting blown to pieces on duty. However, I would never "disapprove" - it's their life and they can do what they see fit with it.

Comment

​I would "let" my daughter or son join the military,but they shd make the decision to defend our country only then I would support them 110% and be the proudest Daddy ever.It is a pride in itself that many don't realize and refrain from.
          Indescribable in words.

Comment

It seemed like most people here are very patriotic and supported to vote for yes. I just realized there are countries that don't fight wars even if they have a military. Maybe I should raise children in those countries. There will be less worries even if the kid joins the military. I mean no one will start a war against Switzerland or San Marino. In case of Israel and South Korea, military is mandatory.

Comment

I lean toward a pacifist perspective most of the time, though I do not identify myself as such because I don't want to take an extreme stance, but with that in mind I would not really approve of a child joining the military and would totally disapprove of a daughter joining. I personally have issues with women being in the military unless they are in a medical role or something like that. I would support my child if they decided to do that, but I would not be happy about it.

Comment

• Billy
                Billy commented
                Editing a comment
                If the parent and their kids lives in a country that is not active in wars, I am sure those parents wont be hesitating to say yes if their kid joins the military. I mean there is no way in heaven and hell Monaco, San Marino or Switzerland will ever fight in a war.

I wouldn't. I'm not really pro war and I think it is a men's job. That's just my idea because I don't think the military is a safe place for women and certainly, women aren't as strong physically as men. That's my opinion though and I'm not a sexist.

Comment

• JoshPosh
                JoshPosh commented
                Editing a comment
                There are a lot of jobs and duties for female military personnel. Not everyone is going to run in the dessert and be shooting guns. It all depends on what your choice of study and career. You can be an office administrator or mechanic. If you apple for infantry then you are going to be first on the field of battle. You have a choice.

• Billy
                Billy commented
                Editing a comment
                Not all female soldiers fight in wars. Some of them works in the office. Some of them are medics.Some of them work as trainers and there are also female soldiers who are like social workers because their jobs is more focused on charity works. I do know there are women who fought wars because they were really capable.

To respond to JoshPosh and Billy, I live in Israel where military is not an option, it is compulsory and you are required to serve for 2 years. Women here do serve but once they go in, they get out of the service a different person, a person who is influenced by those around them, an environment of sex and smoking and all.

Comment

I understand why it is compulsory, This country is surrounded by enemies that don't recognize them as a country. It is good for the Survival of the country and I am sure it develops discipline and nationalism as well. I think it is the similar case with South Korea because their enemy North Korea may attack them any time. So I get why it is compulsory to all citizens to serve the NATO .

Comment

Firstly the question is not easy to answer. Soldiers and military personnel always face the risk of death in a war or a war-like situation. We owe it to our brave soldiers for we are living peacefully at our homes. In which way their lives are less valuable than ours? So, in that perspective I'd surely approve my son/daughter to join security forces if they so wish.

I'd, however, be worried as a parent because I'm a parent after all.

Comment

• Billy
                    Billy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you imagine how lucky the Swiss parents are. They wont worry even if their son or daughter joins the military because their country is neutral and they don't fight wars. I have an uncle in the military and I remember how his wife cries regularly whenever he is on duty because she really worries about him.

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                  I understand why it is compulsory, This country is surrounded by enemies that don't recognize them as a country. It is good for the Survival of the country and I am sure it develops discipline and nationalism as well. I think it is the similar case with South Korea because their enemy North Korea may attack them any time. So I get why it is compulsory to all citizens to serve the NATO .
                  You're absolutely right. Even though I'm not pro war and I hate war, I guess it is necessary for our survival because otherwise, they'd just run over us and basically kill us all.

Comment

• Billy
                    Billy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope Kurdistan will become an ally if they finally gained independence. I mean some Israeli soldiers joined their Army to fight ISIS. Also, just like the Israelites they experienced oppression and discrimination for centuries. It is really hard for me to understand why many middle eastern countries hated Israel when Israel is just defending her self. I actually like the unity of this country. People get along regardless f their religion.
                Working...
                X