Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAE will soon be testing "robocops" in Dubai.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAE will soon be testing "robocops" in Dubai.

Dubai has announced that they will be coming out with trial robo-cops in the near future. The first ones will be more like an interactive visitor center, where people can get directions and ask questions. The computer interface will be connected to the police station, so they can answer questions for people.
    However, in 4-5 years; they expect to have actual robot patrol vehicles.
    After seeing all of the movies of robots going "crazy" and killing innocent people; I am not sure how people will feel about being policed by a robot. Will it work or will it never replace actual policemen ?

http://rt.com/news/253529-police-robot-dubai-robocop/
    Diane Lane likes this.

For the moment, it cannot intervene with gunfire, but lets out a piercing alarm, and warns the authorities.
    Good call. Having spent a long time in IT, I'm pretty sure the last thing I want to give one of these machines is a Glock 17.

It is an interesting technology though. With respect to automated license place scanning, similar systems are undergoing trial in the US.
    Last edited by ASurvivor; 04-27-2015, 10:49 PM.
    Zyni likes this.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
      Dubai has announced that they will be coming out with trial robo-cops in the near future. The first ones will be more like an interactive visitor center, where people can get directions and ask questions. The computer interface will be connected to the police station, so they can answer questions for people.
      However, in 4-5 years; they expect to have actual robot patrol vehicles.

After seeing all of the movies of robots going "crazy" and killing innocent people; I am not sure how people will feel about being policed by a robot. Will it work or will it never replace actual policemen ?

http://rt.com/news/253529-police-robot-dubai-robocop/
      The idea of putting them in so called "safe" places is actually a smart move because straightaway using them in crime scenes would be a disaster and they cannot analyse their effectiveness and their response.

Also if robots start displaying the "Cop" character effectively there would be no problem for the general public.Unlike real cops they don't discrimnate based on gender,colour or caste and that should be a added advantage for deploying these on the field.

Based on many a perception,i reckon it just might be the "smart ass move" that can make a change in the world of policing :P
      BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

That's a tall order and Dubai is being pretty ambitious. Even Japan, the world's leader in robotic technology, is doing things one step at a time. Japanese androids, which pretty much resemble human beings, are currently assigned simple functions like greeting people in hotel lobbies, restaurants or malls. The Japanese didn't go so far as to give them crime-fighting functions because they know it's still too soon. They never jump into the ocean without a life jacket.
        Diane Lane and Zyni like this.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
          That's a tall order and Dubai is being pretty ambitious. Even Japan, the world's leader in robotic technology, is doing things one step at a time. Japanese androids, which pretty much resemble human beings, are currently assigned simple functions like greeting people in hotel lobbies, restaurants or malls. The Japanese didn't go so far as to give them crime-fighting functions because they know it's still too soon. They never jump into the ocean without a life jacket.
          No offence but lets see what they got,like,let them showcase their mettle and then we can eventually get to know the need of a "life jacket" or other requisites.Leaders in a field needn't neccesarily be the first,always
          Also they never said their fleet will be completely replaced by robots.Their cop fleet will have a perfect blend of humans and robots for smooth operation.
          Also fyi their tests on google glass to fight crime has been welcomed well and has yielded a positive result.We hope the same happens here too.

Comment

It feels so great to see such technology being incorporated in to the systems of a country to make things easier. I commend the UAE for that. I hope other countries like African countries will learn from UAE and start being involved in technological issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dannixx55 View Post
              It feels so great to see such technology being incorporated in to the systems of a country to make things easier. I commend the UAE for that. I hope other countries like African countries will learn from UAE and start being involved in technological issues.
              I understand the desperation behind this post :P and know what it feels like,because as they say "third world" countries never really can come to the forefront.Moreover the requisite talent despite being available in these countries is not harnessed properly and that is the reason countries like Africa never really hog the limelight.Of course maybe in the due course time,we can at least hope,for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by ASurvivor View Post

Good call. Having spent a long time in IT, I'm pretty sure the last thing I want to give one of these machines is a Glock 17.

It is an interesting technology though. With respect to automated license place scanning, similar systems are undergoing trial in the US.
                Right? I'm not ready to trust it with a gun either.

It is interesting, but on the other hand, it looks like another way to have an "all seeing" government. Like cameras on every corner. Big brother stuff. I mean, I get the reasons behind it, but cameras and robots can't make judgment calls.

An example, the red light cam. I know someone who had pulled into the intersection and then the light started to go yellow. A kid ran out in front of her, so of course, she stopped. She then had to go through on red, and her picture was snapped. The camera doesn't know about the kid. This is just a small example of how things can go wrong, before someone says, "cameras don't lie."
                Diane Lane likes this.

Comment

It's a great development. Hope it actually graduates from trail period to full deployment. The lives of police are equally valuable and they'll be saved of vehicular pollution should it see the light of the day.

Comment

When employed, that robocop would surely be a novelty even if its only use is for communication not to mention that real people are the ones communicating with you. That would be a good way in orienting the public with robots so that when robots become a reality someday, the public would not be apprehensive. And maybe if the robots would be dressed up as sexy females, I guess it will be easily accepted by the people.

Comment

I think robots could be useful, and it will be interesting to see how this works out. I don't really consider an interactive visitor center to be a good test, since that type of system doesn't seem like much of an advance from what we've seen before, but I would love to see robots chasing down bad guys, in place of dogs, who could be harmed. I'm not partial to big brother type constant surveillance, but I do think there is a place for robotic technology in law enforcement and other government functions.

Comment

I don't think these are robots that will arrest people just like the ones from the movie chappie. I think these robots will be human controlled and human assisted. Their purpose is to make the lives of human cops easier and not to replace them. I think this will function. Similarly to South Korea's robot teachers. I understand the worries of most people because of the negative portrayals we had seen in SciFi movies. As long as they don't have advanced artificial intelligence, they were safe.

Comment

This is another good innovation. I think their move of assigning these robots first as sources of information for people is a good way in monopolizing them whilst maximizing their police force. This way, the human police officers who are usually assigned in public places as information officers can be assigned to other tasks such as dealing with crime in their respected areas. Maybe these robocops can be of good use to their human allies in the future as side by side help. Releasing them on their own to chase out criminals might still be something they need to study further on.

Comment

Robocops as information assistants would be realistic. Though thinking about real police robots acting on the grounds would be like near to impossible. There would be risks if that could be made because machines make mistakes. Consciousness is what robots dont have and it is impossible for robots to have that. The world is not like the movies

Comment

I don't think that will ever be achieved. It's impossible. Firstly, Technology is limited and it doesn't take a brilliant mind to figure that out, only basics in computer science would make you arrive at that conclusion. You could only do with whatever tools is available to you within the world of computer science, there is absolutely no way they could develop that within a few years only because algorithms would not have been invented in that short amount of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X