The EU and Their Refugee Crisis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EU and Their Refugee Crisis

Due to the influx of refugees and the disasters that have been occurring of late, the EU is under pressure to find a resolution to safe guard both citizens and immigrants. The deaths of those fleeing their counties in the hot zones and the civil unrest that has been occurring as a result of the increased immigrant population has many government officials worried. Riots instigated by the increased immigrant populations are popping up at random in various areas of the EU nations as well as surrounding nations.
    Ahead of summit, leaders discuss options to handle waves of African and Arab asylum-seekers heading towards Europe
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

I have read of those immigrants coming from Africa. Asia has a similar problem with the Ronghiya tribe from Bangladesh, I think. They are Muslims and outcasts in a Buddhist country. Just recently, around 500 Ronghiya fled and sailed to the south seas. Fortunately, they were rescued and are now awaiting the processing of their status. As of late, Malaysia and Indonesia, both Muslim countries, are going to grant them asylum status.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
      I have read of those immigrants coming from Africa. Asia has a similar problem with the Ronghiya tribe from Bangladesh, I think. They are Muslims and outcasts in a Buddhist country. Just recently, around 500 Ronghiya fled and sailed to the south seas. Fortunately, they were rescued and are now awaiting the processing of their status. As of late, Malaysia and Indonesia, both Muslim countries, are going to grant them asylum status.
      According to this New York Times report, an estimated 25,000 people have left Myanmar and Bangladesh - double the number last year. It looks as though the majority of the migrants board boats in the Indian Ocean and head to Malaysia where they seek jobs or political asylum. It was recently reported that Malaysia is currently home to as many as 152,830 registered asylum seekers and refugees.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
        If it keeps going as it is, countries are going to become divided even more so then before between Muslim and Christian views. Even in the US there have been fights between the two groups and people are picketing in many areas against one another. I see these videos on Facebook a lot. In France there is a Muslim community that does not allow Jews and will attack any that enter the area. I saw it on a video posted on Facebook recently. It is getting out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post

If it keeps going as it is, countries are going to become divided even more so then before between Muslim and Christian views. Even in the US there have been fights between the two groups and people are picketing in many areas against one another. I see these videos on Facebook a lot. In France there is a Muslim community that does not allow Jews and will attack any that enter the area. I saw it on a video posted on Facebook recently. It is getting out of hand.
          Maybe, but there are places that show people of different religions can live together peacefully. I lived in Jakarta for a few years, it may not be perfect there just there are many Muslims, Catholics, Hindu, Buddhists, and non-believers who interact together on a daily basis without conflict. The real shame is when religion gets in the way of doing what we can to help fellow human beings.

Comment

I just read an article about a US millionaire who went out of his way to help in the rescue mission for the refugees trapped in the Mediterranean Sea. His name is Chris Catrambone, a Louisiana millionaire who, together with his wife Regina decided to form a non-profit search and rescue operation for migrants travelling in the Mediterranean. The operation was named Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS). He even funded a mission on the first season of 2014 with $8 million out of his own pocket.

Here's a link to the story:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=31975361

Comment

It is good to know that there are people out there who are still willing to sacrifice everything t help those in need. Just like asbrown said, it is said when religious beliefs get in the way of helping others. I am a Christian but I have not animosity towards Muslims... if I see one in need, I would help if I could. It is sad that some religions practice hate more love.

Comment

Personally, I don't like the sound of "fights between two groups" because that is where we seem to be going - the battle for supremacy between Christians and Muslims. We have seen the history of their disagreements before and now there are extremists that are considered terrorists. What if those extremists would be the majority of Muslims? It would be a war of attrition? That's hard to imagine.

Comment

We pretty much are already at war with the air raids and bombings that have been occurring. It is just currently still small scale at the moment. I am more worried over a all out war between the US and Russia then I am with the terrorist war. At least that can be maintained to a certain extent. If Russia decides to go all out, their first targets will be European countries and many of them are unable to defend themselves against them. As a result a lot of other countries will have to get involved and we have WWIII on our hands. As if the first two wars were not enough. The war between Christians and Muslims (although detrimental in its own sense) would not escalate to the size of a world war.

Comment

I believe we are up against something increasingly bad. There are way too many people suffering the consequences of careless people whose only drive is their own well-fare. It is outrageous what's happening on these refugee places. If we are able to get a grasp of their suffering through media and similar situations we come in contact with, the more drawn we are going to be to help these wonderful people. For me it's not about a specific country or political arena, it's about coming together as a caring society and ensure a different outcome for the needs and desires of those in pain and desperation.

Comment

So often we look at the "demand" side of these issues, where the people end up.
                      I like to look at the "supply" side, looking into solutions as to why these people are being forced from their homes in the first place.

Comment

BranTheScooterMan the supply side of this is that people are trying to escape the terrorism created by ISIS over there. They are fleeing for their lives.... literally.

noachleo media does talk about their suffering quite a bit. Problem is, we are distanced from it. In order for it to really hit home with most people on the severity of it all is they need to witness it with their own eyes. Because it is a ocean away... we don't see the problem like those who are living it do.
                        BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

KimberlyD
                          It isn't just ISIS, people are being displaced from their homes for a variety of reasons. Granted right now ISIS is causing a lot of displacement, but it isn't just them. A few group's operating in Africa are causing a lot of people to have to flee. Others flee from the threat of repressive governments. I agree in part with what you said, I just think the issue is a little more complicated.

Comment

Oh I am sure that there are other reasons for some to flee their countries. I am referring mainly to the over influx of immigrants that have been crossing borders of late. Those are primarily refugees from ISIS, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups targeted areas.
                            BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

Oh I am sure that there are other reasons for some to flee their countries. I am referring mainly to the over influx of immigrants that have been crossing borders of late. Those are primarily refugees from ISIS, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups targeted areas.

Right, this is most certainly the biggest crisis we have going right now.
                              Now that you mention it, I recall reading about ISIS using mass refugees as part of it's strategies to destabilized nations. . I think they were specifically targeting Italy.

Comment

Working...
                              X