No announcement yet.

Pot Is Now Legal In DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add to the idea that legalization will provide muc-needed funds for the important things in life, like healthcare and education, take a look at this recent article. It explains how the state of Colorado has raised $2.3 million for schools through the "pot tax".

You really can't argue with that, can you? Here's the link for anyone who's interested:

Colorado pot businesses sold a record amount of marijuana in January, resulting in an excise tax of $2.3 million designated for school construction capital, state officials said Wednesday.

Comment

When my cousin who was residing in the US visited us, he was looking for marijuana. When I said it is illegal here, he said that marijuana is already legal in the US so I should not be too conscious of legalities. But after 2 years I visited him so I got to know that he was just bluffing. My point is this thread, this may also be a bluff? Or maybe the starter of this thread is my cousin? Waheehee.

Comment

Colorado is the perfect example of how recreational use is affecting the economy. The tax revenue that the state collects is well over a billion dollars a year and next year we are looking at even more than that. Possibly triple that amount. Crime rate is down and tourism is up.

It was never about health and safety for the American people. It was always about turning a profit and collecting on the taxation for the sale of it. Alcohol, the most dangerous drug there is, has been legal for a long time because of the huge amount of taxes that are collected. Nicotine products kills more people every year then shooting homicides, but that too is legal because of the revenue it generates.

Comment

I have joined a forum before about marijuana to be legalized. They are all pro to the said legalization and just now, I just known that Marijuana is already legalized. As for that matter, I guess that would really be beneficial. There are lots of benefit of marijuana especially now that it is legalized. Marijuana are being made to medicines and certain studies show that marijuana can cure lots of diseases. This is a great news for this is what most citizens want.

Comment

It is legal in the Netherlands and that country have low crime rate. I think alcohol is more dangerous than it. People high on pot seemed to be more friendly than violent. I have seen riots that happened because of alcohol but I didn't see any violence caused by Mary Jane.

I am supportive for using it for medical purposes because it can benefit many patients. I remember on a documentary they showed ho it helped someone with arthritis.

Comment

we all know what drinking the pot will lead to. The crazy people walking around outside, having no idea where they are or where they're going. Their arms extended out in front of them. Their heads tilted to the side, with their disgusting tongues sticking out, making that horrible moaning noise "uuuugggggghhhh" with their clothes and skin covered in blood and semen, and their skin all blue, and eyes so glazed over you can only see a solid sheet of white ick covering their entire eyeball. If we aren't careful our children will be shooting up the Mary-wanna. I knew a guy who had a friend who worked in the emergency room that Richard Gere went to, when he got the gerbal stuck in his butt. They said you could tell by the crazed look in his eyes that he had been using the Mary-wanna.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
                I think that legalizing cannabis is not only an excellent idea ; but is also a long overdue one. From what i have been reading, cannabis used as a health supplement can help with many different illnesses, from auto-immune diseases like lupus and MS, to the aches and pains of arthritis.
                As far as using it for recreational purposes, I don't see a problem with that part either. I think that it has no more debillitating effects than drinking alcohol does. As Ken pointed out; if it were legalized, then it could also be regulated, and not as likely to have something added like it might when you bought it illegally on the street.
                The DUI laws all read "under the influence of drugs or alcohol", or words to that effect; so you could be arrested for driving while high on pot just like you can for driving while drunk.

I do believe that the government will allow pot to be legalized , for several reasons.
                The first one is that they own the patent on medical marijuana, and have owned it for many years now, so when it is being sold legimately as a drug; the government makes money from that.
                If it is legal to sell it like alcohol, and taxed, then the government makes money from that, too.

The third reason that the government wants to legalize cannabis for medical use is that, in the states where they have been legalizing it, if you get a prescription for medical marijuana; you lose your right to own guns.
                Even though this part is not being made known, it is part of the requirement; and if you own guns, they can be legally confiscated once you get the prescription.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/11/feds-pa...e-fighting-it/

http://reason.com/archives/2011/12/1...rd-lose-your-s
                My understanding of cannabis is its intoxicating effect is just like alcohol although the traces remain for a longer time. But a negative effectd? There's no proof of that unlike drugs like amphetamine or heroin. Now my question is - why is cannabis illegal? Is it by tradition or by law? But what is the real reason for the prohibition. No one could answer that in a forum that I attended. They were really surprised with my question.

Comment

More and more states are legalizing the pot. Perhaps they are after the tax revenues, unmindful of public health. I'm sure, it would eventually go the alcohol and tobacco way. You exercise your discretion in using the drug and that alone controls its use and no more administration's curbs. The fact that its a drug and is different from alcohol and tobacco is ignored by people. It's also a gateway drug to crack, but people are too bent on making it legal. So it be,after all who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzer View Post
                    More and more states are legalizing the pot. Perhaps they are after the tax revenues, unmindful of public health. I'm sure, it would eventually go the alcohol and tobacco way. You exercise your discretion in using the drug and that alone controls its use and no more administration's curbs. The fact that its a drug and is different from alcohol and tobacco is ignored by people. It's also a gateway drug to crack, but people are too bent on making it legal. So it be,after all who cares.

People are going to use it regardless of whether or not it is legal. In many cases the use of a drug goes down after being made legal. I'm sure exactly why legalizing a drug decreases the usage but apparently it does.

So if it's going to be used regardless, then why not eliminate drug dealers from the mix and end up getting tax revenue in the process? You have everything to gain and nothing to loose from legalizing weed.

Comment

So let me get this straight,...the government is going to give you a medical marijuana card but take away your rights to own a firearm!? Let's just say that an army veteran has PTSD, and using cannabis oil helps this veteran cope with his symptoms. He is prescribed this medicine by a doctor and receives his medical marijuana card. Now this is a decorated veteran that put his life on the line. He carried his government issued firearms every day in war. Dodging bullets for our country. But now, he is on our soil and needs help that he is getting via this wonderful plant, and you are going to tell him he can no longer use a gun?

Comment

Originally posted by thash1979 View Post
                        So let me get this straight,...the government is going to give you a medical marijuana card but take away your rights to own a firearm!? Let's just say that an army veteran has PTSD, and using cannabis oil helps this veteran cope with his symptoms. He is prescribed this medicine by a doctor and receives his medical marijuana card. Now this is a decorated veteran that put his life on the line. He carried his government issued firearms every day in war. Dodging bullets for our country. But now, he is on our soil and needs help that he is getting via this wonderful plant, and you are going to tell him he can no longer use a gun?
                        It's still legal to own a firearm in DC, and as far as I can tell there is nothing on the books to change that.
                        Perhaps you have access to some sources that I do not?
                        As far as I can tell Mr. Vet can have his marijuana and his gun too so it's win/win for him.

Comment

I know medical marijuana can help a lot of people especially those with chronic pain. So as far as that issue, I'd say legalising marijuana or medical marijuana is a good thing. This way, those patients won't have to suffer so much with their conditions.

As far as legalising the recreational use of marijuana, I'm still not sure. Yeah, it can lessen the use of illegal marijuana. Yes, it can certainly help in raising the funds for other endeavours because of the taxing. And it can certainly make a lot of users happy.

They say that there really is no long-term effect or any dangerous effect of using marijuana. But I think anything in excess can be a bad thing. I guess it still needs to be regulated just so people won't abuse it.

Comment

Working...
                          X