Pot Is Now Legal In DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Is Now Legal In DC

Since February 26 of this year marijuana has been made legal in the District of Columbia. I found this to be very strange at first and somewhat unexpected. The capital of the US is the last place that I would expect to hear about pot being made legal. As it turns out it is now along side 23 US states that have laws legalized marijuana in some way.

Is this a positive or negative turn of events?

Well we have to consider the both the benefits and dangers of legalizing pot.

The first and most obvious disadvantage is that it will become more easily accessible. If it's not illegal then people won't be as fearful to use it.

The advantages?

Less time and money invested by the police in that area as well as happier citizens.

What do you think? Should pot be legal?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tion/24033803/

yeah but the question stil lrises on Legality of possession but not on selling it ? Lets commit to something here. Why not tax it and let legitimate business grow and sell it.I suppose sales should be monitored and taxed thus all is indeed legal.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
      yeah but the question stil lrises on Legality of possession but not on selling it ? Lets commit to something here. Why not tax it and let legitimate business grow and sell it.I suppose sales should be monitored and taxed thus all is indeed legal.

Yeah I don't completely understand why they are allowing people to use but not sell. You either allow it or you don't. I guess they expect people to grow their own marijuana but no one's going to do that. There are still going to be drug dealers. Every weed user in DC isn't going to go start their own marijuana garden. It's much easier to simply buy it.

I agree with you. It would make a heck of a lot more sense to just go ahead and make it a commercial product like beer. Sell marijuana at gas stations. This way the government earns more taxes and the people don't have to find drug dealers to get it. Many shootings are caused from drug deals gone bad. This is one of the problems with drugs. Sell it at stores and you do away with drug dealers and the trouble they cause.

Furthermore, I would like to know why marijuana (in most states) is illegal while alcohol is not? Beer is more intoxicating and unhealthy than marijuana. Why make it illegal while making the other available at every gas station in the US? This makes no sense to me.
      Zyni likes this.

Comment

Crimes involving pot are a large part of the overcrowding problem with U.S. prisons. Give it time guys. The trend is tiding and cascading. I agree that alcohol is more deadly, across the board. Look at the progress. There have recently been a few states legalizing its use. It's a wrap. It's only a matter of time before it will be recognized as a lesser evil, across the board. Miracles don't happen overnight, it takes time and time has opened the eyes of the appropriate powers that be. The fire has caught on, it's now just got to spread. It will, trust me.

Comment

It suddenly struck me.Now what do they do with all of the folks in federal prison for having weed on them? They have already ruined those folks lives, put them in the pit to learn how to be a criminal from the best, and all for something that should have never been a crime to begin with.
          Zyni likes this.

Comment

I can already see it, We are going to have a pot smoking president, somewhere in 50 years. That President would be proudly smoking it in public like it is the coolest thing to do. I have nothing against it for medical use but I am not supportive about using it for recreational use.
            fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Drinking and driving is dangerous. Is smoking pot and driving dangerous too? Because if it is, then god help us all.
              bala likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by calicer1996 View Post
                Drinking and driving is dangerous. Is smoking pot and driving dangerous too? Because if it is, then god help us all.
                Quite like a second thought on mine.If they legalize it,then drinking and driving too is legal.They would have to free prisoners too,because having weed is now legal.They have to reverse everything,literally everything.
                I am not sure on what basis they have done it though.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
                  Quite like a second thought on mine.If they legalize it,then drinking and driving too is legal.They would have to free prisoners too,because having weed is now legal.They have to reverse everything,literally everything.
                  I am not sure on what basis they have done it though.

They can't be this stupid. They must have amended other laws pertaining to this. If anyone can give some details, I would be grateful.

Comment

I am not a smoker of marijuana. In fact, I had never tasted marijuana. But I go for the legalization of weed even outside the perimeter of prescription. They call it medical marijuana. From that I had researched, marijuana is a good stress reliever because it is a natural relaxant. So marijuana is much better than the synthetic tranquilizers. Think about it. The legalization of pot will greatly alleviate the problems of those stressed out. And no long term side effect is the first advantage you get.

Comment

They would not suddenly legalize drinking and driving because they decriminalized marijuana. I'm sorry, but that doesn't even make sense. I'm sure that "driving under the influence" would incorporate the influence of marijuana as well. They aren't just going to lose their minds and let drunk or high people run down innocents. Personally, the reason I think they aren't moving fast is because there are a lot of changes that have to be made is pot stops being illegal. Still, it's coming. It never really should have been illegal. It's supposed to be a free country, and besides, we all know how well prohibition works...

Comment

Originally posted by calicer1996 View Post

They can't be this stupid. They must have amended other laws pertaining to this. If anyone can give some details, I would be grateful.
                        Nopes,many are enraged here for a reason because these guys have done it just like that without a second thought,on those repercussions.It is a huge issue and to me it looks like a hasty act.

Comment

All these government officials believe that this should be legal because it helps people. However, we have those other people who misuse things such as pot; People know selling pot illegally can bring in some pretty good money.

We all know what this pot business leads too. If it get's out of control, as new things like this usually do we will be seeing our sons and daughters doing it as well. Our children will be saying, "Ah, it's alright to do. They made it legal because it helps us, it doesn't hurt us!"

I believe I better stop there, because this discussion makes me angry. It's only going to hurt more people than save in the long run. This world isn't getting calmer, it's getting crazier. So we need to do something about it now before it gets to uncontrollable!

Comment

It's really a ridiculous case in my opinion. There is every reason for pot to be made completely legal. It should be available in your nearest gas station.

Let's look at the advantages.

First off you eliminate HUGE prison costs and save a ton of police resources. Most of the people in our prisons are there for drug related issues. If we legalized marijuana then most of our prisoners would be set free and our tax dollars could go towards more productive matters.

Second off you now have an item which can be taxed. If weed (like tobacco) is sold in stores then the government has an extra source of income. So they save on prison/police costs and earn more in taxes.

Then you have the fact that many gangs, shootings, etc. are related to drug deals. If weed can be purchased from the local gas station then drug dealers are pretty much out of business.

Comment

I think that legalizing cannabis is not only an excellent idea ; but is also a long overdue one. From what i have been reading, cannabis used as a health supplement can help with many different illnesses, from auto-immune diseases like lupus and MS, to the aches and pains of arthritis.
                              As far as using it for recreational purposes, I don't see a problem with that part either. I think that it has no more debillitating effects than drinking alcohol does. As Ken pointed out; if it were legalized, then it could also be regulated, and not as likely to have something added like it might when you bought it illegally on the street.
                              The DUI laws all read "under the influence of drugs or alcohol", or words to that effect; so you could be arrested for driving while high on pot just like you can for driving while drunk.

I do believe that the government will allow pot to be legalized , for several reasons.
                              The first one is that they own the patent on medical marijuana, and have owned it for many years now, so when it is being sold legimately as a drug; the government makes money from that.
                              If it is legal to sell it like alcohol, and taxed, then the government makes money from that, too.

The third reason that the government wants to legalize cannabis for medical use is that, in the states where they have been legalizing it, if you get a prescription for medical marijuana; you lose your right to own guns.
                              Even though this part is not being made known, it is part of the requirement; and if you own guns, they can be legally confiscated once you get the prescription.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/11/feds-pa...e-fighting-it/

http://reason.com/archives/2011/12/1...rd-lose-your-s
                              Last edited by Tumbleweed; 05-24-2015, 10:06 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Working...
                              X