Japan commits 4 billion dollars for disaster prevention around the world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan commits 4 billion dollars for disaster prevention around the world

Japan has committed to provide 4 billion dollars in the coming four to reduce the number of disaster victims and their suffering around the world. The announcement, made at the 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in SENDAI, Japan, on March 14. This is good news for countries like Vanautu and Angola which are going through serious disaster crises. Read more at http://www.trust.org/item/2015031407...rce=dpagetopic

• BranTheScooterMan
    replied
    Awesome!
    I know Japan has had a lot of help from the international community, so this is a step in the right direction that all nations should follow.
    With the multiple ways that human activity has negatively impacted the biosphere, we all should be trying to come together to face the future we have created for ourselves. Too bad a lot of organizations and institution are more concerned with fighting each other then helping each other.

Leave a comment:

• SashaS
    replied
    It's great to see them doing this. I second what OP is saying about the fact that only the sufferers themselves can understand the suffering of others. Japan, although beautiful, is unfortunately prone to a lot of natural disasters, but how far they have come and how they've overcome it is great to see. Japan isn't some wasteland or desolate forest. It's a beautiful country in the natural state and in the technologically advanced areas. This is due to the fact that they are a very smart population of people. It's great to see them helping and it helps them at the same time as it is a sort of investment, telling the world that they are ready to help and will oblige to receive help as a result. I appreciate what they are doing and I hope the rest of the world will too.

Leave a comment:

• zipedia
    replied
    This is fantastic considering how prone Japan is to these kinds of disasters, and I don't think anyone will forget Fukishima anytime soon. It's a really good investment and will be beneficial for the country in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• UnslaadKrosis
    replied
    I guess the age old saying of 'it's only the sufferers themselves that can understand the suffering of others' is true. japan is a country riddled with disasters, ranging from earthquakes to tsunamis and everything in-between. It's so great to see them commit on such a large scale to take care of the people around the world who are suffering because of their circumstances. Unlike another country which is planning to literally ban suffering people from crossing the border (both land and sea).

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    commented on 's reply
    Japan's biggest problem is under population, many people are in not interested on having children anymore and that is a serious problem. Maybe they should try to give compensation to married couples who will try to have more than one children. They have an Island were all residents are senior citizens.

• Billy
    replied
    I understand Japan's compassion to help other countries because they were a country that regularly experiences disasters, fr. earthquakes to deadly storms. They had been through a lot of disasters but they were a country with a great economy so its easier for them to recover. They know recovering will be harder for developing country.

This one is a bit off topic but I hope I Japan will solve their under population problem. It is sad to see a country with very rich culture to die off under population. They can accept immigrants who are willing to assimilate with their culture or let child less couples adopt children abroad.

Leave a comment:

• anorexorcist
    replied
    This are great news for countries who are constantly suffering of natural disasters, I just hope that this campaign actually helps people, I've heard that charity aids are not that great for people in bad situations, but I really hope that Japan does.

Leave a comment:

• KittenErnst
    replied
    This is really interesting. I'm just hoping it doesn't result in some countries being too proud to accept help. Countries are only what their government officials let them be, and some leaders are too proud. But this is definitely a good thing on Japan's end.

Leave a comment:

• oraclemay
    replied
    Yes, the world would be a better place if more countries got on the bandwagon and made a worthwhile commitment to disasters. It is wise to be prepared for potential disasters. There is not much we can do when we are caught off guard, but when we are informed there are precautions we can take to ensure that the outcome of a potential disaster will be better the next time round.

Leave a comment:

• May102014
    replied
    Importance should be place on these preparedness measure in all countries, the warning signal for natural disaster is limited time. Experience teaches wisdom and the fact they had there share of destruction after disasters it is only wise to employ this measure.

Leave a comment:

• May102014
    replied
    I hope the aid benefits the people. I have seen footage of recent parts of Haiti where so much devastation still persist after the earthquake in 2011. I try to remain optimistic that some government officials are truly decent and caring human beings who want to do the right actions for civilians in their country. Japan has really step forward in terms of addressing relief in natural disasters. As I stated earlier, I sincerely pray this relief actually reaches the people in need.

Leave a comment:

• bala
    replied
    Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
    Very true, bala Hopefully other countries will take note and follow suit. According to this article published by Reuters, Japan is one of the world's biggest donors of finance for disaster risk reduction. The article states that in combination with the World Bank, Japan has contributed more than half of the global total of $13.5 billion from 1991 to 2010.
    Thanks for seconding my thoughts.Yes I too read it on the reuters.
    They really have transcended levels in terms of donations,but it pains when i hear that these relief aid and money are all being gobbled up by corrupt politicians.Sucks..REALLY !!

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    Originally posted by bala View Post
    It is a great notion and japan is well renowned for disaster aid and prevention.Together with world bank they had contributed more than half of the global total of $14 billion over 2 decades from 1990.Many more financially stable countries can do well to emulate the japanese in this.
    Very true, bala Hopefully other countries will take note and follow suit. According to this article published by Reuters, Japan is one of the world's biggest donors of finance for disaster risk reduction. The article states that in combination with the World Bank, Japan has contributed more than half of the global total of $13.5 billion from 1991 to 2010.

Leave a comment:

• bala
    replied
    It is a great notion and japan is well renowned for disaster aid and prevention.Together with world bank they had contributed more than half of the global total of $14 billion over 2 decades from 1990.Many more financially stable countries can do well to emulate the japanese in this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X