No announcement yet.

Arresting people for feeding the homeless??? Unbelievable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't open the link but this is unbelievable! How are we going to help this people if they punish us just for helping? We are human beings! We need to help each other, it's part of our nature... But I hope that this doesn't happen anymore, that would be really sad. Luckily in my country there are church campaigns to feed the poor, is not a enormous help, but it's something... At least we are helping them somehow.

Comment

I can't see any link here. I heard a similar story around six months ago regarding a guy in his nineties who was arrested for setting up a free food stand for the homeless in Florida. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ted-again.html

Comment

Been reading a few news stories about this subject.
        Certainly not the direction we want to head in.
        Glad to see most of you agree.
        Now the only place I have read the news is from the USA, but I'm sure there are more countries that might be doing this too. Can anyone share some examples from other places?

Comment

Wow, this is something pretty big and I'm glad people are finally standing up for their rights. Unfortunately, I was too late to this thread so the link doesn't work anymore but the message is still there. The police have done a lot of fraudulent things, and I hope they get the punishment that they deserve.

Comment

This is really ridiculous. If Government feels that this is not right to do in an open area they should have made alternate arrangements instead of banning. This will give a wrong message to society that this world is only for the rich. Hope the Government will understand the gravity of the situation from a humanitarian point of view and will be forced to withdraw the law.

Comment

What the homeless people needed is to be given a home where they can be safe and on that home give them a honor livelihood. If they needed mental help, put them in a mental hospital and if they have drug problems, put them on a rehab. There should be a shelter built specially for the homeless so they won't be living on the streets. I think that is the best solution the government can do for this situation. Give the homeless a home and restore their humanity.

Comment

Just some "food" to think about. AGRM consists of around 300 rescue ministries in U.S.A. alone and with that are a few more thousand missions including the Salvation Army. The last mission I worked for served nearly 45K meals a month for the homeless and it's only one of 4 feeding establishments for the poor in that area. This does not count all of the churches who have pantries for the poor and suffering and regularly have small "cook outs" in parks or large parking areas whereby anyone who wants to eat....can.
                I have spent nearly 23 years of my life working with the homeless and there is one outstanding thing I can say about sheltering the homeless. While most homeless people will go to a shelter in order to eat, sleep, get cleaned up and take a break from stress while looking for employment, there are others who simply do not like the shelters. Whether it is because most shelters do not allow any kind of alcohol or drug abuse or those who show symptoms of such (such as being high or drunk) or perhaps because most do not allow un-married people to sleep together or whatever the reason, some of these people do not want extra help sans a meal in a mission lunch or dinner line. You will find small communities of these types living under bridges, cardboard cities, and in rural forested areas in nearly every larger city in the U.S.

Okay now folks, here's the main problem that all cities have to face. Outside of bonafide missions and churches who can LEGALLY handle food, there are not supposed to be anyone serving food for any reason to the public.
                There are people like the 90+ gentleman who simply want to help but did he, for arguments sake, have the wherewithal to handle food properly and at the proper temps in order to insure that no one would get sick or worse yet, die. As an example, a simple hot dog can become the worst enemy of a person if not kept at the proper temperatures.
                Don't believe me? Let one sit out on the counter for 2 or 3 days and then consume it. Before you try this experiment, do stock up on toilet paper.

And then, there are the "not so wll meaning" folks who want to drive the homeless off of their streets by feeding them something laced with rat poison and such. Do NOT DOUBT it! It's been done.

When a cop is forced to break up a food line because the feeder of said food is not a licensed food handler (and complete with the necessary equipment to keep whatever food is being handed out in proper condition) it hurts the police person as much as you guys but it is a job that they are ordered to do. Warn first and only once, and then arrest if necessary.

If you really and honestly feel that something needs to be done, then volunteer your services at a homeless shelter, Salvation Army, or church pantry. They will allow you to help serve the meals or whatever you think you might be good at. After a few visits, you will get to know some of the homeless people and who knows, you might even be able to help one get a job. You will also get to know the staff members and the type of ministry it is and then you can really be of help if you not only donate your time, but food and / or money to that facility as well. Helping the helpless and hopeless is not a free ride, and merely saying "those poor homeless people" does not feed nor house the poor who desperately want and need the help.

Give it a try.......you might just fall in love with it as I have.

Comment

This is so sad. We as a nation can help other countries with their hunger issues, but we can not help our own? All these organizations to feed the hungry, and to donate to this third world country to feed their children, but we can't walk down our own streets and feed the ones that live here. A lot of these homeless people are army veterans. I would go to jail to fees one of them for the sacrifice they gave for our country! If its a child on the street homeless, how many people would pass up giving them food? Because if I go home and not feed my children I, I would have the police at my door.

Comment

It is so unfortunate when such laws are passed. Surely, there are so many heartless people in this world and just to imagine the people who are passing such laws are also human.
                    In this world, we will never be all equals, there are people who will lack and others have in plenty. It is the obligation of those who are blessed to help the needy once and that is how a society should be. I just hope that the tables could turn and those passing those laws would lack and have to beg, then they would know that nobody asks to be needy, sorry to say.
                    If the needy are polluting the environment, the the government should build institutes to help them and not stop people who have good hearts from helping the poor.

Comment

While this thread started a while ago now, it keeps getting replies so I'll add my two cents worth while I'm here.

The government in most countries aren't doing enough to get homeless people off the streets and into suitable shelters in my opinion, and they're just washing their hands of them, and turning a blind eye.

Trying to make it illegal for people to help feed the homeless is just another way of trying to say that homeless people shouldn't exist. Seeing as most governments are only concerned about money and taxes, maybe the fact that they're not getting any from an homeless person means they don't have to help them? I'm sure that's how they will see it anyway...

Comment

This is very insane. These people are actually helping the unfortunate people and are feeding them, something that the government is not prioritising. How can this be illegal? It's feeding people with actual food, people who don't eat right and don't have the means to feed themselves. It's especially appalling that they had this 90 years old man arrested and fingerprinted (this newer link posted on this page). For one, at that old age of his, he is able to help other people. And he gets arrested for it? Goodness, what are our views on right and wrong, how twisted are they now.

If it's illegal to feed people out in the open, then where can they feed them? They would have to rent another space just to feed them and that can cost money as well. That's why they opt to feed these people in open spaces instead of renting another venue. If that's the case, the government should provide for the venue that is free as well.

Comment

This is a pretty terrible thing to do, and a law that really does not make any sense to me.
                          Does this not fly in the face of common sense and decency?
                          I have actually seen this pop up in the news a few times, people getting in trouble for feeding the homeless. I have also read a few things about places literally rounding up the homeless and putting them on a bus out of town...
                          There has to be a much more enlightened way for us to combat homelessness then to just pretend it does not exist, to punish those to help and to export the problem to other areas.

Comment

Oh, come on! Really? Arresting a person for feeding the hungry and the poor? Are these people out of their minds? Sheesh! And 'homeless overrunning the parks, making it inaccessible for locals.' What? Are these people rats?

People don't choose to be homeless, not everyone's circumstances are the same. For some it's their huge medical bills, for others, it's their debts. Many of the homeless are war veterans who come back home only to realise that after putting their life on the line for these people, suddenly they're not relevant anymore. Treating these people like vermin goes a long way to show how much the society has fallen.

Comment

Working...
                            X