Arresting people for feeding the homeless??? Unbelievable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arresting people for feeding the homeless??? Unbelievable

In Fort Lauderdale, it is apparently now a crime to feed the homeless. What is this world coming to?

I saw this story on another site this morning, but couldn't find a link, so I googled it. Here's a link if you want to read the full story:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...rdale-26702418

I saw the headline in the papers and wondered if it was true as I did not get the chance to read the full article. No wonder we have so many plagues in this land, God is going to punish the wicked. How on earth could anyone be so heartless?
    Thanks for the link I will get the chance to read the full story now.

Comment

I saw this on the news yesterday. Officials, residents and numerous business have complained about Abbott feeding the homeless claiming that the homeless population has overrun local parks. The Mayor of Fort Lauderdale agrees with the recently passed ordinance saying that the parks are being overrun by homeless people and are inaccessible to locals and businesses.

There are similar laws in many other states, including Houston where groups need written consent to feed the homeless in public or they face a fine.

Comment

That is just wrong. I understand the need to do something about the homeless overrunning parks, but telling people it is illegal to give another human being food is just wrong. That is literally putting a homeless person on the same level as deer or racoons. Being homeless is an unfortunate circumstance that can be caused by many things, not always the individuals fault. If they are not going to allow people to give them food, they had better allow organizations like churches to set up free meals.
        UnslaadKrosis and Zyni like this.

Comment

We have been talking about this for over a month now here. I can't remember where we heard about it, but apparently there are approximately 37 states that are in agreement with the new law. We did not think it was going to pass through, then the arrest of the 2 clergymen and the 90 year old man happened. Several people I know of have been discussing how to take it to the Supreme Court because it is unconstitutional. Heck, our very own Statue of Liberty states "Bring me your hungry and your poor"... Have we forgotten the morals and values that this country was based on?
          Zyni likes this.

Comment

We have forgotten all of those thing because we have rejected the God who created these values. Our whole society is crumbling because we are breaking down it's foundation.
            Zyni likes this.

Comment

Religion and politics aside, these people need the food that is being given to them. There are two arguments that I have heard so for this issue.
              First issue is that it encourages them to remain homeless. Apparently the idiot who tried for this argument does not know that little, if any, companies will hire anyone that is homeless and never had to pay for rent and food while on minimal wage. Foodstamps are not even enough to help. Two, that it is unsanitary. They sleep on pee covered streets (many of them pee on themselves), many go into the trash for cans to turn in or left over food, they are unable to shower or practice any hygiene methods and yet it is unsanitary for them to be fed by other people.

Our moral obligation is to help one another in any way we can. If they do not want people feed the homeless in parks and such them open large mess halls for the homeless for them to be able to eat there and encourage people to donate their time and food there and give them the ability to get a job or such by giving them address's, clean clothes, constant shower, and other such things. Simple solution.

Comment

There is a huge need for organized help for these people. I know many cities have rescue missions where these people can go and get help. In the city where I grew up, they had a large building with dorm type rooms where people who wanted to get off the streets could live while they went through the program which helped them gain skills for interviewing, learning (or re-learning) good work ethics so they can keep a job. The program gives them a chance to have a roof over their head, food, get cleaned up, help for addiction if they have one, and get back into the work force and on a path toward their own apartment. Unfortunately there are many on the streets who do not want to get help, which is sad.

Comment

• kevinkimers
                  kevinkimers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One of the biggest problems for these organizations is funds. The city, state, and federal governments are not providing enough funds for them to truly function and provide the help and care needed. Also, volunteers are hard to find. Organizations like these rely heavily on these volunteers to help them to serve the food, prepare the food, and bring in food from other sources like community gardens and food drives. However, there are fewer and fewer people who are willing to give their time to helping. With this happening now, people are going to become even more reluctant.

I read another article where an elderly man was arrested in Florida for picking tangerines from a tree. No serious crimes going on in the sunshine state ? But seriously though if it is causing a disturbance then a reprimand is in order. Arresting him is way too severe. I also understand if you are having a picnic or walk in a clean state park and don't want to be flooded by homeless people asking for food. If it is affecting other people and drawing complaints then perhaps a new shelter in the area could be implemented.

Comment

Well, I am unsure of the whole story, but I think it is best to have a shelter for the homeless and not let them move about in the streets. The people living in the shelter must have a plan to stop being homeless (get a job and so on). We need to empower the homeless, not simply give them more reason to stay on the streets. I have to admit though that imprisoning someone just by giving food is a crime in itself.

Comment

I was very sad to read this as well, it is just disgusting that this is what we're reducing ourselves to. It seems that they are trying to enact stricter laws in order to discourage the homeless population from being there in the first place...probably don't want it affecting tourism -_-. It's a shame because not only do these people deserve basic human kindness and *food* but how ridiculous is it to have people in jail for feeding others? Just so much wrong with that picture.
                    Zyni likes this.

Comment

What do they plan to do about those who are homeless due to mental illness or disability that prevents them from being able to hold down a job? Some of these people do not understand that they need care and assistance or some kind and so they do not want to be in a group home situation, even though that is the best thing for their well being. There are a few people like that in my town and there is little one can do for them because they do not understand that they need help so they don't accept help.

Comment

I heard about this story. After the man who is 90 years old was released from jail, he went right back to feeding the homeless again. This law is just crazy. It seems like there is a war on the poor. Homeless people are the poorest of the poor. They have no one to speak for them so they are used as pawns in politics.
                        Zyni likes this.

Comment

The crackdown continues as police have arrested three more people in Florida for attempting to feed the homeless in a public place.

I read yesterday that Arnold Abott had previously sued the City of Fort Lauderdale in 1999 after they tried to stop him from feeding the homeless on a public beach. Abbott won the case three times in circuit court and twice in the court of appeals. Even in spite of his recent arrest he continues to feed the homeless in the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
                            The crackdown continues as police have arrested three more people in Florida for attempting to feed the homeless in a public place.

I read yesterday that Arnold Abott had previously sued the City of Fort Lauderdale in 1999 after they tried to stop him from feeding the homeless on a public beach. Abbott won the case three times in circuit court and twice in the court of appeals. Even in spite of his recent arrest he continues to feed the homeless in the parks.
                            Hahaha you are setting a nice foundation for the defense citing precedence when they battle against Florida state in court. :P

After all that to continue to defy like that makes me wonder a bit how much it is done out of benevolence or just plain stubbornness and believing he can overturn the law somehow. Either way God bless.

Comment

Working...
                            X