This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizations Hiring People for Disaster Relief Positions

With the rising number of disasters and calamities, more workers are needed to fill the demanding roles of disaster relief and rescue operations. Let's create a list of possible organizations that offer jobs in humanitarian aid and disaster relief.
    Some people may be looking for places where they can serve. Some may be looking for training in preparation for disaster related jobs. You can add these to the list, too.

http://reliefweb.int/jobs
    http://www.idealist.org/search/v2/?search_type=job

This is a very good idea, the concept of organizing disaster relief workers and aid providers, this may provide incentive as well from people who had the necesarry time and resource but didn't know where they should start.
    Here are some useful links I found:
    http://www.redr.org.uk/en/Training-a...an-aid-worker/
    http://www.transitionsabroad.com/lis...rian-aid.shtml
    http://www.disasterready.org/about

Comment

Yes, I also think that it is a good idea, because it's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone, you get to help people and at the same time you get paid for it. I think people who really want to help other people but can't because they have a family to feed will like to have this job, because it would be fulfilling for them and at the same time it would allow them to feed their families with the salary that they will get.

Comment

I think that with disasters also job opportunities come and it's an opportunity to take. Just yesterday I was watching on TV how war veterans currently out of a job have big experience in dealing with disasters, pretty amazing how there isn't an organization that incorporates them in a disaster strike force for example.

Comment

• Moxyideas
          Moxyideas commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a great organization in the US called Team Rubicon that does exactly what you're talking about. I know they've gone out of the country for operations as well. Here's their website: http://www.teamrubiconusa.org/

I used to make a living sitting out people's stuff after an eviction. It always felt a little bit bad profiting off of the unfortunate circumstances of others, but realistically I needed the job and someone had to do it. Looking to get paid for helping with disaster relief is kind of along the same lines, although I don't think I would feel as ashamed to tell people I was helping to rebuild after a tornado or something like that. State and federal government should have money allocated for this type of thing anyway. As long as the actual victims aren't the ones having to pay for it, I think it is perfectly fine to profit by a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Gelsemium View Post
          I think that with disasters also job opportunities come and it's an opportunity to take. Just yesterday I was watching on TV how war veterans currently out of a job have big experience in dealing with disasters, pretty amazing how there isn't an organization that incorporates them in a disaster strike force for example.
          There isn't? That is a shame. You have actual experts on the topic that have already been trained to work in harsh environments. Why not employ them? It would be much cheaper to employ an already educated individual than to educate all of them before employing.

Comment

Kenyon International Emergency Services is a private disaster response company with locations in the US, UK, Lebanon and Dominican Republic. They have occasional openings for full-time staff, but they're always looking for on-call responders (called Team Members) from all kinds of backgrounds. Take a look at the website: http://www.kenyoninternational.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fareakyman View Post

There isn't? That is a shame. You have actual experts on the topic that have already been trained to work in harsh environments. Why not employ them? It would be much cheaper to employ an already educated individual than to educate all of them before employing.

That is exactly what that interview was discussing, I think that sometimes resources are lost due to the lack of organization and communication between organisms. People that have these knowledge do exist and they should be a task force ready to intervene.

Comment

Don't forget to include organizations like AmeriCorps. They have several difference subgroups (NCCC, Vista), and offer help in all areas, from financial to road rebuilding, and aiding Habitat for Humanity with home building. They offer paying jobs through the national government employment site as well. If you sign up and are offered a job with Vista or another branch, you are given a monthly stipend (starting at $1,200 a month, I believe), which can be more than some people make per month at a part time job (or even a full time job). It would certainly be a good place to start.

Comment

Last year, my home town, McAllen, Texas was struck my hail. It never snows, hardly ever rains; but no one expected hail of all things. Needless to say, in one day, thousands of cars had dents and broken windows. Many roofs on our homes were destroyed. Some people were lucky, their cars weren't dented, and damage wasn't as grave for their homes. But all of these expensive, new cars on dealerships were dented, and had broken windows. After about a month; it was impossible finding replacement glass for the automobiles. They had to be ordered cities further away. In the next couple of months, I noticed that there was a great surge of out of state roofing construction companies that traveled to this area to start working on the insurance claims, and re-build the roofs. I discovered that there were, seriously thousands of working men that had migrated to Mcallen while trying to look up for an affordable apartment to rent. They had literally taken all of the cheap rental places. I had to stay in a motel and planned the move in advance . But over all I felt that it gave an economic boost and discovered that roofing companies watch out for these kinds of disasters to look for work.

Comment

​Ther are lots of organizations that have come up these days regarding disaster reliefs. I also think that one needs to be really careful while setting up these organizations, as most of the times the organization is all about making profits than helping the people in the disaster hit areas. I really wish that all such agencies be taken under government, so that people can get free services.

Comment

Originally posted by shilpa123 View Post
                      ​Ther are lots of organizations that have come up these days regarding disaster reliefs. I also think that one needs to be really careful while setting up these organizations, as most of the times the organization is all about making profits than helping the people in the disaster hit areas. I really wish that all such agencies be taken under government, so that people can get free services.
                      Taken under government? Really? I don't see how that's gonna solve the problem? The government might be held accountable but it is corrupt nonetheless. We need like minded individuals who can work together and bring peace to the society.

Comment

Working...
                      X