Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of training or degrees would i have to have?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really depends on what area of the disaster relief you want to work in. I think Firelily mentioned that earlier.

Medical training is probably the most important because every disaster requires medical help. But not every disaster requires infrastructure work. For example New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina needed a lot of infrastructure, planning, and building help. On the other hand, Ebola quarantine clinics in Liberia need more medical-related help.

Within the medical profession, there are several majors, minors, and trade school training that could help you -- EMT, social work, medical doctor, ministry, nursing, psychology / mental health counseling / psychiatry / mental therapy (with a trauma/disaster specialization)...

As for Red Cross... Yes they may be corrupt. But as long as they offer you a job, that's all that matters for someone trying to make it in this profession. Experience is #1 in this profession. Experience sometimes is just as or more important than degree when landing the job. They need to know you are suitable for such a stressful, dangerous and chaotic job. And only experience can tell them that.

Comment

As others have said it depends on what specific aid worker profession you choose to specialize on. So that you take the respective courses into that profession, be very concentrated and en point and so on. That being said, it never hurts to read up on these subjects on your own, outside a course or class. You should read some survival manuals first of all, seeing as you are heading into hazardous areas of the world you should know how to survive and protect yourself before you can help others survive and protect them.

And just read up on your subject on choice on the internet, there are many sites (like this one) dedicated to sharing disaster information, prevention methods, discussion etc. This forum is a very good choice anyhow, we have links to a lot of useful material, news, articles, e-books and so on. Just search through the forum and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
        Ah..actually reading through your post prompted me to ask this question.Were you or are you a volunteer of any organization.i can see you as my mirror image over this...You prove it that it is only sense at that instant that is a requisite.

Red cross is a crappy organization always bent on swindling money..They may look for volunteers,but i guess no one will be joining them.Frauds...I have read a lot about their scams and how they eat up money..Wish all these organizations dissolve for good.
        Bala, I used to volunteer at my local hospital yes. I mainly did it for selfish reasons at first, to boost my college application but then I really became close with certain patients and looked forward to watching a game with them or eating lunch with them. Or taking them out for a walk. My dad volunteers in our Hindu temple every Sunday at the age of 62. While my priorities have shifted a bit to raising a family, I would eventually like to get back into some type of charitable cause. My dad cuts up "shak bhaji" which goes to feed more than 100 people every Sunday. I would like to be half the man my father is.

Comment

Look into community colleges for nursing or EMT. It's definitely worth it in the long run. I'm getting a late start at 25 but I've been looking into it as well. Glad you asked this question because it's something I wanted to know as well and couldn't really find any solid information of it when you do a google search. Thanks!

Comment

There are a number of specific courses that you can go on, but I am certain that nothing matters more in these types of situations as the experience that you have had in the past. For example, if you have been a great success in a disaster zone in the past, and have helped hundreds of people, nobody is going to care that you don't have a degree in disaster management. Obviously things like first aid are an absolute must if you want to be helpful in the field, and you can always try to keep on top of your fitness to mean that you're always in the best possible physical condition to be able to help.

Comment

Working...
            X