Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of training or degrees would i have to have?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of training or degrees would i have to have?

I am a giving person and would like to look into perhaps joining this field, but i am not finding much information along those lines. I realize that some sort of medical training would probably be mandatory, but what else? Associate degree, BA, what would be the lowest requirements?

There's EMT programs at a lot of community colleges if you're interested in something along those lines. Many colleges offer nursing certificates too, or you could go full ham and become a doctor. The most base form would probably be EMT/CNA but I wouldn't do that unless you just need something to make you money and fast. EMTs can luck out on good jobs but for the most part I only saw long hours and bad pay.

Comment

It depends upon what you're doing. You could volunteer with absolutely no previous experience, or you could become an EMT and help out during disasters since that would be part of your job. The range runs from no experience to an associate's degree and then some positions might require a bachelor's. It really just depends.

Comment

Dude,it simply hinges on common sense actually,i never have got a degree of sorts but still i know how to help during most disasters.
        The basics being
        1.Types of Knots..come in handy during a flood
        2.A simple study on "what to avoid during a disaster",i mean,the one where you don't get hurt by taking to help others
        3.medical aids and treatment
        All these should suffice for a novice..I am one..:P

Comment

You don't need a degree to help people. You can invest some money and make your own charity foundation. Better yet you can volunteer in hospitals. Eventually with experience they would even put you in the emergency room if you demonstrate quick wit and intelligence. You dont need a piece of paper to show people you are smart. Although a diploma is important to land a job like an EMT or a nurse or health practictioner.

Comment

You don't need a degree or any sort of training to help people, just common sense. If there was a hurricane in your area and people's homes were destroyed, then you can supply them food, water, clothing, etc, while waiting for government aid. But if you saw someone who got cut pretty badly, and you needed to administer first aid then I suggest you do some EMT training beforehand in order to avoid these types of situations.

Comment

Getting any medical training is a real plus if you are looking to gain paid employment. Engineers are always needed for the infrastructure. Gain experience through volunteering is big as well, the Red Cross is always looking for volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by lagoonlife View Post
                You don't need a degree to help people. You can invest some money and make your own charity foundation. Better yet you can volunteer in hospitals. Eventually with experience they would even put you in the emergency room if you demonstrate quick wit and intelligence. You dont need a piece of paper to show people you are smart. Although a diploma is important to land a job like an EMT or a nurse or health practictioner.
                Ah..actually reading through your post prompted me to ask this question.Were you or are you a volunteer of any organization.i can see you as my mirror image over this...You prove it that it is only sense at that instant that is a requisite.

Originally posted by firelily99 View Post
                Getting any medical training is a real plus if you are looking to gain paid employment. Engineers are always needed for the infrastructure. Gain experience through volunteering is big as well, the Red Cross is always looking for volunteers.
                Red cross is a crappy organization always bent on swindling money..They may look for volunteers,but i guess no one will be joining them.Frauds...I have read a lot about their scams and how they eat up money..Wish all these organizations dissolve for good.

Comment

I have read also that The Red Cross is a very corrupt organization. I support giving blood, time, perishables, but not so much on the give to the big organized charities for just that reason. Too much corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by askanison View Post
                    I have read also that The Red Cross is a very corrupt organization. I support giving blood, time, perishables, but not so much on the give to the big organized charities for just that reason. Too much corruption.
                    I never did liked Red Cross so I am not surprised they are corrupt. I don't know what are they really doing with all that blood and perishables. I think being an EMT driver in those disaster relief moments would be something good to add on a resume.

Comment

It really depends on what you're looking into. If you're just interested in baseline volunteer, you obviously don't need any experience. But if you want to work with say the disaster response team or the people who respond to crash sites or major disaster sites to identify remains, you would definitely need an intensive degree that includes a bachelors and a masters/phd in forensic (or forensic anthropology).

However a lot of these work you can probably also see if you can get certification with a community college, but most of the time you won't get very far unless you get a major degree.

Comment

Basically it depends on what you want to do in terms of work. I have a cousin who is a engineering contractor and he is able to find an abundance of work after a disaster. If you want to work in the medical end then you will have to have advanced training as was mentioned in other posts. Figure out what areas that you are interested in and then find the training and or education that you will need. Try contacting your local Red Cross, they may be able to give you some ideas.

Comment

Red Cross, as with any organization has their pros and cons, but they do provide a lot of training that would apply to disaster relief. From basic CPR to working with other certifications that could come in handy depending on the type of disaster at hand. I worked for a phone company in my twenties. We were a telephone answering service, so you wouldn't think that skill was a major help in a disaster. However, we were the first point of contact between emergency staff such as Police and Fire to call in the local Red Cross teams. So, any skill set can be applied to disaster relief efforts, and I think that the communications field is as necessary as medical staff in the event of catastrophic events.

Comment

I think the best way is to get some form of medical training at any level. It is a really great asset of skills to have and would definitely be appreciated in the employment of this circle. I know that in New Zealand they would even appreciate a mental health trained individual for disaster release employment. The reasons are obvious, mental health is often overshadowed in these situations.

Comment

It depends on what you're doing. You could volunteer with truly no past experience, or you could turn into an EMT and assist amid calamities since that would be an aspect of your responsibilities. The extent runs from no experience to a partner's degree and afterward a few positions may oblige a bachelor's. It truly simply depends.

Comment

Working...
                              X