No announcement yet.

Unemployment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you are absolutely right. For most people, unemployment is one of the darkest phases in your life. It was in mine. It can make or break you -- hopefully not the latter. Being unemployed is a trying time and one of those hardships that brings the most stress -- and the worst part, being a financial burden to someone who's already in a financial crisis of their own. I never want to go down that rode again :-(

Comment

Ever come across people that blames pretty much everything on the government? I often hear this kind of talk whenever the word "employment" comes up. Unemployment is bad enough to be considered as a disaster but half of the chaos is caused by our attitude towards the issue. Options are always available, it may not be much but its better than none at the same time its the start of something that could improve in time. I keep hearing people say stuff like "that position isn't worth my time, I didn't finish college just for something like that" or "I was never trained for that" or better yet "I'll wait a little bit more, a much better opportunity will come that is more of my forte". If our pride and laziness keeps keeps getting in our way, we can't exactly blame the economy for our own problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RingoBerry View Post
        Ever come across people that blames pretty much everything on the government? I often hear this kind of talk whenever the word "employment" comes up. Unemployment is bad enough to be considered as a disaster but half of the chaos is caused by our attitude towards the issue. Options are always available, it may not be much but its better than none at the same time its the start of something that could improve in time. I keep hearing people say stuff like "that position isn't worth my time, I didn't finish college just for something like that" or "I was never trained for that" or better yet "I'll wait a little bit more, a much better opportunity will come that is more of my forte". If our pride and laziness keeps keeps getting in our way, we can't exactly blame the economy for our own problems.
        Ringo, I thought this attitude was unique to the USA?!?

I was part of a well paid group of instructors, who were all let go after our company was purchased by a much larger one that no longer needed our services. I filed for any state un-employment the next day and then went to a job interview to be an electrician. Instructor pay was $25 and hour plus benefits. The electrician pay was $12 and that was all, NO benefits. Since I was working now, the un-employment pay did not kick in.

I took the job and worked there until the job was completed, some 4 months later. It paid some of the bills and along with out savings allowed us to survive. The whole time I was working as an electrician, I scanned the boards for a more "appropriate and well paying" job and did get back in to my computer field for another 3 or 4 years until the bottom fell out again.

Comment

I hate unemployment. Been in and out of jobs for as long as I can remember. However what I hate most is being underpaid for the amount of work I do. It seems that in the pursuit of the bottom dollar that companies forget that unhappy workers = less productivity and they wonder why there's such a huge revolving door. The horrible reality is that people need jobs so badly that they'll undercut what they're worth in order to be employed. The funny thing is that the Great Depression left a lot of psychological trauma in people and my generation has a similar mental trauma and stress from the current economic situation.

Comment

I think unemployment is the worst personal disaster that can happen to a person or family. It is rising at an alarming rate due to advent of new technologies,computerization globalization. It is true that none of these can be avoided from a development point of view. Computerization has definitely made our life easier but at the same time a majority of manual jobs are being undertaken by computers. Globalization eliminates national barriers in trade, but in the case of developing countries, they are becoming more of consumer States.

Now all multi national companies know that the first effective step to cut cost of production is to minimize laborers and give it to machines.

Comment

I feel like a really big contributing factor to unemployment is poor money management. Without any savings to fall back on the stress of monthly bills adding up and collectors calling can make the job search that much more difficult. It's already a fairly depressing event as so much of our identity in this western society is based on our work and our contribution. In Canada there are good supports set up in place to help those transition out of dying careers and even assist financially with some aid, but more can always be done to connect those seeking work and those that need work.

Comment

Working...
              X