No announcement yet.

Hurricane Preparedness: Why hurricane preparation should start now

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Preparedness: Why hurricane preparation should start now

Most people have watched the footage of areas ravaged by hurricanes. Heartbreaking stories of lives lost and homes destroyed are especially heart-rending when you consider that some of those lives could have been saved with proper hurricane preparation. Several agencies provide Web sites, such as where people can find all the information they need to learn how to prepare for a hurricane. A big mistake some people make is waiting until it is too late to begin their hurricane preparedness. The time to start hurricane preparation is right now. There are several things to consider as you make your plans including storing food and water, when to evacuate, what to do for pets and much more. The more you learn and prepare now, the better you’ll be able to deal with the next hurricane or tropical storm.

Preparedness Advice from NOAA - This resource provides an overview of hurricane preparation from NOAA.

FloodSmart - Flooding and Flood Risks - An often overlooked aspect of hurricane preparedness is flood insurance. Here you can learn about flooding and find links with information about the national flood insurance program and how to assess your own risk for flooding. - Don’t forget the four-legged members of your family when making plans for how to prepare for a hurricane. This resource from the Humane Society has lots of great information to help you make a hurricane preparation plan that include your pets.

When and How to Evacuate Before a Storm - This link from the CDC provides information about when and how to evacuate before a storm. Having a plan on where to go should you need to evacuate is a very important part of how to prepare for a hurricane. Some make the mistake waiting until it is too late to leave. Hurricane preparation should include knowing where you’ll go if you need to evacuate.

Another Resource about Evacuating – Here is more information from about evacuation as part of hurricane preparation.

Preparing a Food and Water Stockpile for a Hurricane - and other similar sites recommend keeping a MINIMUM of three days of food and water on hand as part of your hurricane preparedness. This link offers advice about how to prepare such an emergency stockpile.

Making Sure Food and Water is Safe After a Storm - The previous link contained information about how to prepare for a hurricane by stocking food and water. This link offers advice about how to make sure food and water is safe after a storm. has some information on this as well. Learning about potential dangers, especially following flooding, is an important part of hurricane preparation.

A Plan for Family Communication - Following a hurricane or other disaster, it may be difficult to communicate with family members. Part of a good hurricane preparedness plan should include agreeing on ways that you will contact family.

Storm Preparedness Checklist – Print out this detailed checklist from the Red Cross to assist in all of your hurricane preparation plans.

How to Help the Elderly Prepare for Hurricanes and Tropical Storms - How to prepare for a hurricane should include how you can help your elderly neighbors who may not be able to make their own hurricane preparedness plans. This link offers lots of great advice about how to help your shut-in neighbors be ready for the storm.

Many steps are involved in a proper hurricane preparedness plan. But with all of the great resources available at and other sites, you’ll be able to learn how to prepare for a hurricane, so that you and your family will be ready for the next storm season.
    ASurvivor, devichan and mariee like this.
    Live your dream, don't dream your life.
    Chris L-S, CEO/Owner/Administrator, Disaster.Com

Another great article, Chris! Thank you for the list of resources. As I've mentioned in another post, I think it would be great to make a separate section on the website for information like that. I believe it gets forgotten quickly if posted to a forum. What do you think?
    bravetran likes this.

Wow, this is a wonderful post. Fantastic resources and links! Thank you so much for this! I've been in a few hurricanes, only one being actually dangerous, that was Yuan years ago of the Atlantic coast here of Canada and it was the closest thing to a natural disaster I've every lived through. I hope, as fareakyman said, that this doesn't get lost in the rest of the forum.

Speaking from experience, this is a great article! I particularly appreciate the inclusion of the Humane Society link. Two thumbs up for a well-researched post!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that the reason a lot of people don't evacuate in emergencies is their animals. When my friends had their trailer struck by a tornado while they were at work they were far less worried about their things than their two cats and three rats! (The tornado was a glancing hit - all the animals were fine, if scared out of their tiny mammal minds!)
        Last edited by devichan; 08-10-2014, 07:57 PM.
        1inamillion likes this.

This is good knowledgeable reading and a great post. This information is very informative. I'm so thankful to not live in a region where hurricanes can strike, but it's always great to have the psychological know-how despite your dwellings. I travel a lot, so I'm not completely on the clear.

This is a more well researched and well compiled post than many that we have managed to scrap together on the forum, very compact and concise considering the volume of information it covers, you go admin!

As a sidenote, I believe it is much better for people to read upon these subject for themselves and judge individually how to respond and act in those certain situations as opposed to just leaving it all in the hands of the authorities, that may be late at a certain scenario, may impose strict laws on how to direct the people and situation, you may forget things, leave them behind etc.

A fantastic post and hopefully many will print it out for future reference or at least as a check list.
              That being said, I'm a new guy in this shelter and perhaps what I have to write has already been written a thousand times, but I am going to do it again anyway. Some things never seem to get through to some folks and maybe this time will be the time.
              We now know, because of the wonderful research that Admin has done, the things,"to do." While many do follow these steps, they also have their own steps creating their own disaster by doing the things they,"should Not do."

1st example: There was a hurricane off of the coast of Louisiana, (Camile , forgive the spelling) and was definitely going to slam into Grand Isle. The residents were pretty hurricane savvy so after some preparation for what was emminent it was time to hunker down. Yep, "let's all go to the motel and have a hurricane party." There are three floors and everything has been safe there in the past storms.
              This hurricane was a little different in that the swells were large and extreme enough that even the third floor was covered and nearly 200 people drowned.
              I was in New Orleans at the time at another Hurricane party. I was lucky the hurricane wasn't something like Katrina. Many of the fatalities in New Orleans could have been prevented in Katrina if the folks just didn't take it for granted that just because one hurricane did little damage this one would be the same.

Example 2. Melborne, Fla. in the late '60's hurricane Donna went through. Melborne and the surrounding areas did not take a direct hit but did get the tail end of the storm, so, "let's go to the beach and do some surfing!" Unknown to a lot of folks, just because a hurricane did not hit you directly doesn't mean that the effects of a hurricane will not have a bearing on your normal life.
              Surfing during or after a hurricane or the tail end of a hurricane is dangerous. The rip tides are horrendous and like the Melborne, Fla. area the beach and water was mobbed by a sea critter named the "Portugese Man-O-War." They were driven in by the currents and the stings are extremely painful and even deadly as a lot of people found out.

Last example of the day, 3. I have talked to a lot of folks in flood areas, particularly the hurricane induced flood areas. There is a contention out there that being a great swimmer will prevent a person from drowning in flooding waters.
              Thousands of people would still be alive if they would have set their pride aside and didn't try to out smart a hurricane or any other, "act of God." Put the good ol' boy drink down because water and alcohol do not mix. You cannot swim as well in normal waters much less flood waters combined with 100 mph winds if you have been drinking.

In the examples I gave, a party attitude got people killed. A level and well informed mind is the only real way to make it through a hurricane with eveyones life you are responsible for intact.
              Last edited by Preacherbob50; 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM.

All of these great links in one place, thank you very much. Many articles done on other sites regarding the same topic are much more poorly done than posts like these. Prevention is the most important part of saving lives and preventing damage. I have family members in hurricane prone areas who I encourage to take measure in order to protect themselves from storms like these, but they never listen. Getting the work out is something that needs to be done.

This is very useful indeed. The links are helpful and I bet the big majority of people are not prepared for any kind of disaster, no to mention hurricanes. So, this links should not only be read and understood then applied by the ones that risk to be "hit" by a hurricane, but should be shared with everybody in the situation.

I live in an area not prone to hurricanes at all, but it is an interesting and helpful article nonetheless. I'm sure those who live in hurricane prone areas will definitely find this useful. I don't think the thread needs a special section like the other member posted, it can just simply be pinned to the top so that everyone can see it.

I live in the caribbean an we are always in the line of fire for a hurricane so we have to be really careful year. All year for us it feels like we have to be prepared and on the lookout for hurricanes.

I've seen firsthand what it's like when families don't prepare for a hurricane. We thought that we did enough to prepare for Hurricane Wilma but we didn't plan on the electricity being out for 3 weeks. After a week we ran out of batteries and food, so we had to deal with stores that had empty shelves and price gouging. Now, when I hear about a hurricane warning, I try to stock up on 3 weeks of supplies because I'm afraid of the same thing happening again.

Yeah, because the organization known as FEMA, was such a great help to the "hurricane Katrina" victims in New Orleans a few years ago; yeah, real big help they were then. Also, FEMA is merely a "mental concept" held in belief by humans, it will always take a man or woman, to help another man or woman in the end!

Lastly, hurricane season is over for a month now, so I doubt people living in such areas will be worrying about such natural events for another plus or minus 8 months; my brothers are stationed in Florida and I have relatives in the east coast of the U.S.A., and they don't bother with what FEMA or any so-called disaster relief entity, because they depend on their own and neighbors, to aid one another in times of difficultly, which all of our ancestors did in the past before any of these over-hyped aid organizations were ever created.

As a Floridian, I can add my praises to the above chorus relating to the thread post. And, yes, the official season is almost over. Let's not forget November hurricanes, and Hurricanes can even occur mid-winter, as in 1993. The local TV stations in Florida and other coastal hurricane prone states usually have hurricane preparedness information on their websites with local hints, but off season storms often hit areas not prone to hurricanes ( Tennessee was particularly hard hit in 1993. One of Dolly Parton's brothers could not leave his house for 10 days). Blizzard preparedness is similar, but provisions for cold weather need to be made. Late hurricanes hitting further north can leave victims facing cold while still suffering from the direct effects of the storm.

Great post. I used to live on the coast and experienced several hurricanes. Even in an area prone to them, it was alarming how many people were ill prepared. Many did not have insurance to cover it or any sort of plan. I always tried to bring up preparedness if the group I was around started discussing hurricanes. It's definitely better to be safe than sorry.