No announcement yet.

Flood Survival Tips: Knowing the Facts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have encountered so many floods in my life. There was a time when floodwaters were knee-high inside our living room for 2 days. All we could do was stay on the second floor. It was okay except that our toilet wouldn't work because of the flood. For food, we have stocks all the time although mostly canned goods like corned beef and sardines. Since bread cannot be stored for long, what we have were biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by mae_mae View Post
      We experienced flash floods 3 years back in the Philippines when i still live there. The flash came in instantly giving us not time to prepare our needs. our house was filled with water reaching the second level of our house. We out our blankets on cellophane and we out it on the rooftop. We brought whistles because it is the most helpful instrument that time. We whistled and this alerted every rescuer to know where we are. This lead us to be rescued by rescuers. After like 2 weeks, we went back home seeing the destruction on our house. This article would really helps us in preparing and for better actions during flash floods. I can relate most of the basic instructions especially that i was once a victim of flash flood!
      If you were here in 2009, that typhoon Ondoy was worse than that. In a matter of 1 hour, floodwaters reached neck-deep high. Most people living in low lying areas were surprised that Saturday morning. Even animals died like dogs cats and chicken. Until now, I still cannot understand how the floodwaters got that high in minutes and without warning. The only logical explanation in my mind is a combination of heavy rains and clogged waterways.

Comment

Don't build or move into areas of low lying land. Never drive through a street full of water, there could be a hole underneath. I've lived through 3 floods here in Florida and it's no joke. Turn around, don't drown.

Comment

Staying alert with flood warning systems and paying heed to local authorities' advice is the best thing to do. Local administration issues a directive in case of emergencies and evacuating your houses to safer areas is the prudent thing in most cases. There advance warning systems in place which can make precise forecasts and hence escaping a flood should not be a major issue, even though property loss is still a reality.

Comment

Originally posted by mairj23 View Post
            Don't build or move into areas of low lying land. Never drive through a street full of water, there could be a hole underneath. I've lived through 3 floods here in Florida and it's no joke. Turn around, don't drown.
            We were renting a house in a low lying area before we moved in to this present house which we purchased thru a bank loan. We perfectly knew that this is also a low lying area although our street is seldom flooded. Your advice is good but beggars cannot be choosers. This is the only property that we can afford to buy so we are already resigned to this low lying areas. In fairness to us, there are years that there is no flood. In our 14 years of stay, perhaps it's onlyl 5 years that we had experienced flooding and just once that floodwater entered our house.

Comment

Reallly awesome article with lots of good information.

The irony is that in floods, like many disasters, fresh drinking water is vital. I live in an area with big earthquakes. Someone taught me to fill up the empty space inside my frig with water bottles.. not only will it help reduce your electric bill, but they are there in case of a problem... and the cold temp reduces the bacteria growth so you donīt have to change them out as often. I do once a week anyway.

Comment

I really appreciate this article because juts after reading it I realized that there were a lot of things/facts I didn't know about surviving a flood. I'm glad I took the time to read it or else I might have missed those useful info. I will gladly share this article so others will be aware as well. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X