No announcement yet.

Preparing Children for a Disaster: A Primer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is very good food for thought. Children are the first and foremost concern of adults in times of disaster. And if the children are prepared in handling the crisis then they can even help the adults in providing moral support. It is normal for a person to panic when faced with a disaster and strong children are big encouragements to their parents.

Comment

Teaching the children could save lives. Many people are dying due to lack of survival techniques and lack of knowledge on what to do during a disaster. Upon reading the article, i even looked up into myself if I am doing most of the activities. What made me think is
      #5 Make first aid kits and emergency equipment a habit. Its not my habit to prepare med kits for emergency. I would take this up and add this to my life. Thank you, I would share this article on Facebook.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the article. It's very informative especially for parents like me. Most children are eager learners because of their curious nature. Teaching them a thing or two on disaster preparedness can really help a lot when the actual thing happens. There's no particular age as to when to start teaching them. As long as they have the ability to understand you, they can already be taught about things to do during a particular disaster. Starting at home is a plus because parents are children's first teachers.

Comment

When you start with the most basic lessons, they can learn extremely early on! Teaching them how to call 911, for example. Even if they don't know what to say, letting the 911's phone ring will get someone out there for a welfare check. I have epilepsy and my seizures got out of control for a while there. Living in the city, we had plenty of neighbors, and we spoke to all of them. My son, at age 5, knew whose apartment to run to if something happened. He would go in order to Greg's, then Deborah's, and then the neighbor behind us,

Comment

The Pillow Case Project I posted about was along those lines. Preparing and empowering children for disaster situations. I think this should be a mandatory program in all schools. Children and the disabled are the most likely to die or become seriously injured in a crisis. They should be taught from a early age how to protect themselves so that they are safe now and in the future as adults.
            Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
            Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by LilAnn View Post
              When you start with the most basic lessons, they can learn extremely early on! Teaching them how to call 911, for example. Even if they don't know what to say, letting the 911's phone ring will get someone out there for a welfare check. I have epilepsy and my seizures got out of control for a while there. Living in the city, we had plenty of neighbors, and we spoke to all of them. My son, at age 5, knew whose apartment to run to if something happened. He would go in order to Greg's, then Deborah's, and then the neighbor behind us,
              This reminds me of my vacation in California. I was tending to my 6-year old nephew when we heard a siren. I went out of the house with my nephew in tow. By the way, we were the only ones in the house, everybody was at work. It was a fire engine. As we went back inside, I asked my nephew what happens if there is a fire? That was a cultural question because I was a first time tourist in America. The smart boy said he would call 911 and tell the operator the location of the house and name of his grandpa - that's my uncle who owns the house. And then, added my nephew, he would to out and go to the mini park nearby. Neat eh?

Comment

Originally posted by labatt View Post
                Preparing children for a disaster means starting early and repeating lessons often. Here are a few tips to help.

Growing up in a prepared household these are a few of the tips I learned from my parents about preparing...

Click here to view the article.

Such an informative article worthy to be read by all the parents in the world. I, myself, is also a parent and I am always thinking of how to keep my daughter safe all the time. Now, I can enthusiastically teach my daughter about all these helpful tips. I am very happy to have joined this group. Thank you, Mr. Labatt. You are simply awesome!

Comment

Working...
                X