Preparing Children for a Disaster: A Primer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing Children for a Disaster: A Primer

Preparing children for a disaster means starting early and repeating lessons often. Here are a few tips to help.

Growing up in a prepared household these are a few of the tips I learned from my parents about preparing...

Click here to view the article.
    calicer1996, maggiejoan and 3 others like this.
    Live your dream, don't dream your life.
    Chris L-S, CEO/Owner/Administrator, Disaster.Com

What better way for children to learn how to prepare for disasters than through their parents. Parents after all are the first agents of socialization and they're the ones children listen to the most. I think it would be less "heavy" and easy to understand for children if disaster preparedness is introduced to them through fun and games or interactive kiddie programs similar to Dora the Explorer.

Comment

What an excellent and thorough primer. I will definitely be bookmarking this article. These are some great things to teach my kids.

Comment

Nicely done! I think it's very important to teach kids, and teach them early. The fact that they will not always be with you is a very good point as well, so they need to know how to stay calm and respond. Good article.

Comment

A really valuable article. You hear so many stories in the news about children saving an adult's life because they were prepared and knew what do do in an emergency. Whilst it's tempting to shield kids from subjects like this, it's actually one of the most important things they could ever learn.

Comment

Originally posted by labatt View Post
            Preparing children for a disaster means starting early and repeating lessons often. Here are a few tips to help.

Growing up in a prepared household these are a few of the tips I learned from my parents about preparing...

It is never too early to start preparing children for disasters and how they can survive. Children need to have things being repeated over and over so they will not forget just like their ABC's. children practices fire drill every month in school so that they get accustomed to what it is all about. we can do the same when we are at home and also find a safe area to send them to during the drill so in case of a disaster struck they know exactly what to do and where to go for safety. Let them know that you are serious when talking and teaching about drills. Let them know that you love them and you are doing this to keep them safe . At time you can give them a pop quiz and ask questions life if there is a fire do you go looking for mommy or daddy? if a stranger grab you what do you yell or if someone breaks into the house what should you do? this will help them to remember what to do if something did happen.

Comment

Originally posted by labatt View Post

I think the last line in your post, speaks volumes! When we teach our children about the responsibility of being prepared and thinking safety first, they grow up to be responsible adults.

Thanks for the link. What caught my interest, was #6 and #7. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up on teaching our children how to be prepared in a familiar surrounding; such as, their home, when in fact children are not always at home.

Comment

This article is very informative and helpful considering the frequent diasters and crimes happening in our country everyday. even schools are not safe places for chldren because there is a growing number of school shooting incidents, so the best thing to do is prepare your children by teaching them what to do in-case such incident happens. It would be great if you write more of such interesting articles.
                ASurvivor likes this.

Comment

Speaking of practicing, I think camping is a good way to make kids prepare for disasters because it awakens the survivor within them. Also kids who goes on camping are usually more disciplined and less sheltered. I also love the tips about teaching them how to do first aid because It is a huge help on making them more calm in emergency situations. It will help them learn how to be calm and collected in times of dangers. Panicking is not a good thing. About number 7, Yes we will be more confident to leave kids at home by them selves if they have all the skills they needed. There were times when parents have to leave kids alone and making them prepared will keep them safe.

Comment

People who have never experienced the destruction due to a disaster usually ignore such advice. They shouldn't.
                    It's a great idea to teach people when they are young. Get's ingrained in their gray matter. Loved it!

Comment

I think that it's a good thing to prepare children for disaster. You don't have to scare them but let them know that things do happen that we cant control. Parents should always be teaching their kids these things and not just depend on the schools or tv shows to do it.

Comment

I completely agree with xTinx! It's always easier to learn when you're having fun while doing that. Some things also get taught at school, for example I learned what to do in case of earthquake while there are no earthquakes in the place I live. Well, there are but you have to be exceptionally sensitive to feel them.

Comment

Interesting article!

The key with children is turning practice drills into games. This way the information is assimilated quickly and no one gets bored.
                          As this article illustrates, children have to be prepared but it is important not to overdo it. I don’t believe it is necessary to teach children how to use a fire extinguisher or how to put on a tourniquet for instance. There is a fine line that shouldn’t be crossed – between being prepared and being paranoid.

Comment

In the local school in our place, the faculty had thought of a noble way to teach children how to act during a disaster. They invented a game that would harness the creativity of children. For example, a bring me game would involve water for a fire, blanket for a typhoon, etc. From what I saw, the grade schoolers were very enthusiastic with the game. And when disaster strikes, those children would be like playing a game only. No panic.

Comment

I think that's a good thing. Children need to know certain things but don't scare them. Teach them the basics and how and what to do. Basic knowledge is all you need.

Comment

Working...
                              X