Citizen Band Radio for Emergency Communications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post

Yes, I understand that when power is down - a blackout of the entire grid - would render cell sites inutile. However, I don't see any CBers now and the kids have seem to have all shifted to the smart phone. And as what @tcphd.Jim said that don't make the mistake of depending completely on the phone, that's what is happening now. In fact, I don't know how to use the CB radio myself.
    Actually CB radios are located in every police station, military installation, and truckers rely on them. Government offices also have CB radios as well as fire stations and hospitals. CB radios are more common then you would believe and are required by the larger portion of disaster relief organizations.
    Diane Lane, fcphdJim and Tumbleweed like this.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

That's comforting to hear KimberlyD, since there is an unmanned volunteer fire station here in my neighborhood, as well as at least a few of the volunteers, so perhaps we've already got a few CB radios throughout the area. I'm still going to look into them and see if I can figure out a decent one to buy at some point in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Lane View Post
        That's comforting to hear KimberlyD, since there is an unmanned volunteer fire station here in my neighborhood, as well as at least a few of the volunteers, so perhaps we've already got a few CB radios throughout the area. I'm still going to look into them and see if I can figure out a decent one to buy at some point in the future.
        Diane, even a basic handheld CB would be a great help, and since you live in a large metropolitan area, I am sure that there are a great many people (and emergency workers) who have CB radios.
        As KimberlyD pointed out, most all of the law enforcement departments monitor the CB channels, and usually have a radio in the patrol car, where they could answer and talk to you immediately if you had an emergency.
        The starting price for a handheld would be around $50; and for $100, you can get a much better one. Look on Amazon (Disaster.com has an Amazon shopping link; so if you use that, it also benefits the forum, and doesn't cost you anything to do that).
        Amazon always has some great buys on just about every thing. They have an emergency unit from Midland that has radio/flashlight/usb phone charger, as well as interactive CB communications. It can be powered by electricity, batteries, or by hand crank when necessary.
        While it is admittedly one of the cheaper ones at $51; it still would be a valuable asset in an emergency, and is portable.
        Diane Lane and KimberlyD like this.

Comment

True that Tumbleweed. One thing I'd add is since it is such a well-established form of technology, there is a glut of perfectly fine transceivers on the used market. If it is enough savings to bother is up to the individual, of course, but it exists.

Also, in addition to law enforcement, etc., most ARES groups also have CBs setup and monitored. I know the one I've been involved in has a few. Ditto the group my father-in-law is involved with in another part of the state.
          KimberlyD likes this.
          "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

If I remember correctly, even the White House has a CB radio they keep on hand in case of emergencies. I know there is one at NORAD, I seen it in a picture once. It is off to the side and not used, but it is still functional and kept there for communication purposes in case of a national disaster. As a matter of fact, I remember seeing a CB radio in a military truck once... though that was a while ago. CB radio has been around for a very long time and it is a well established means of communication.
            Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
            Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Thanks, Tumbleweed I'll check out the Amazon sales section when I get ready to buy one. I'm not actually in Houston, that's just the largest city near me. I'm down on the coast in the boondocks, and the city I'm affiliated with doesn't patrol here that frequently. It's a 20-30 minute minimum response time, which is why I'm interested in doing what I can to prepare for whatever could happen. KimberlyD It's comforting to know that even NORAD and the military have/use CB radios. I agree, it's a well established and reliable means of communication.
              Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

I've also wanted one for so many years, but never "put my hands" on one. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Just an FYI: there are mobile VHF and HF radios that look very similar to CBs. Those military or government "CB radios" in pictures may not be what you think they are.

Regardless, as has been stated very well in this thread, CBs are still an excellent option for emergency communications. I have one sitting around waiting for me to install in my vehicle, as does my son. Ham radio is my first choice, and FRS is handy too, but you can never have too many possible ways to talk in an emergency.

Comment

Thank you!
                    I remember having the old CB in grandpa's truck.
                    This articled reminded me of that, so I called him and he still has that unit!
                    I am going to go over this weekend to visit so I can collect it and see if I can get it running. Be a great just in case addition to my garage.
                    I don't understand why linear amplifiers are not allowed though, can anyone elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                    X