This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting Your Valuables and Documents From A Disaster: A Primer

Disasters can be large scale or only affect you. They can be local, regional or affect even larger areas. They...

Click here to view the article.
    januz101, ASurvivor and bala like this.
    Live your dream, don't dream your life.
    Chris L-S, CEO/Owner/Administrator, Disaster.Com

These are excellent tips. I think a lot of us (including myself) take the digital storage of this information for granted these days. In the event of a disaster most of this information will not be readily available. I will take the future precaution of storing hard copies it away. You never know when it could come in handy. I hope it doesn't it there's always a chance.

Comment

That's a great article. I actually just save my important files on my email since the files aren't large anyway. I think we also have to scan our ID's and important documents, since even if our camera is the high megapixel kind, the scanned version is always better and clearer than an ID or document taken with a camera. I would consider uploading my files to those online storage sites one of these days.

Comment

Great article labatt...
        How did you find time to compile such a huge list..?.I had some thoughts on what to save in the event of a disaster and this actually makes it easier for me to prepare one,i mean the list is there and all i have to do is get things in order.
        Online storage seems like a con to me..with the amt of thefts happening nowadays,i really don't trust it.

Comment

What an awesome article. I particularly like the idea of videotaping what you have in your home of value- I think phones are really becoming important in disasters these days. I know that was a huge issue after Hurricane Sandy, when people were trying to find a place to charge their phones because literally their whole lives were on the phone after flooding and destruction. I would recommend buying a power strip to keep with your emergency supplies, since you'll probably have few working outlets and multiple devices to charge. When I moved to another country for 9 months, I copied all of my important papers and kept an electronic copy as well as giving a copy in an envelope to my parents, in the even that I lost or damaged mine.

Comment

This list is pretty much what you need to have and protect in case of a disaster happening in your area. All those important documents and personal data and belongings should be stored in a water proof container and which is easily accessible to you when the need arises. Small things like these are what are always important and what we commonly forget when there is an emergency.

Comment

This is great. Well written and thought out. I do have photocopies of all my important documents, but I haven't backed them up digitally. That's something I have to do real soon.

Comment

This is an excellent article and gives good a good reminder to all of us how important these documents are. They would even be more important if a disaster were to strike where any of us live. To @m_lines point, many times the internet goes down in a disaster situation and if you store all of your records digitally, you may not be able to access them. It is a good idea to maintain them in a safe and then have a photocopy back up somewhere.

Comment

Really good article, thank you. It cannot be stressed how important it is to make sure all of your documents are secured safely. You may think that where you live is not prone to disaster, but it could happen to anyone. When it does, you want to be ready. Word about these simple preparation tips needs to be spread to everyone, not just disaster prone areas. This is an easy way of preventing losses in a disaster.

Comment

Wow !! That article was so helpful. I really appreciate you posting it. We live in Florida and you just never know when a tropical storm or hurricane will just come out of no where. The very first year we moved here from central NY there were 3 hurricanes and we were not prepared to say the least. After that nightmare, we really learned that being prepared for any disaster can mean the difference between life and death. I will be using this information from this article when we update our plan next month.

Thank you again for sharing !

Comment

When a disaster occurs, it is very difficult to think about protecting your valuables and important documents. Only after everything has calmed down, we start thinking about the documents. Hence, one must be very much aware of the situations and take the necessary precautions before itself. I think it is important to follow the steps mentioned in the above article and take care of your belongings.

Comment

Wow, this is a great list I am definitely going to save it for future reference. I should put a copy of all my documents in a safe spot. Lots of these important papers you forget about until they're gone and you need them! Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post these tips. Unfortunately, some people don't bother to think about their documents at all when they're preparing for a disaster, and this can cost them dearly later when it comes to having to replace all of them. Often, you can't really remember just how much you've lost until it really comes to it and you notice. You should always keep them as high as possible, and make a copy of any that it is possible with. Keeping them in a safe can be a good idea, but you need to make sure that it is waterproof, because you would lose your documents if there was a flood and the safe was in a danger zone. Ultimately you do have the chance to protect yourself from losing your documents in a disaster, but the best thing that you can do is to make sure you are prepared and careful.

Comment

Thanks for all these tips! I don't really have that many important documents except for my IDs, school records/diploma, bank records, and birth certificate. I have scanned copies of these already even before Typhoon Haiyan struck. As for making lists, I have a list of everything I own and should bring in case a disaster strikes. I have it on my journal, and I have a copy on my Google Drive, so I can access it anywhere.

Comment

Thank you for posting this. We, who are residing in flood prone areas had our share of document damages. There is always the first time, and we hope that people will be educated enough to do the necessary back ups should a calamity happen. We have secured our hard copy documents in a single container so it will be easy to lift in case a really major flood happens. Having digital copies is a must these days and we have also done that. The more recent ones have not been scanned yet. Your post reminded me to do just that ASAP. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X