Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be able to handle everything by yourself during a disaster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be able to handle everything by yourself during a disaster?

Being alone while a disaster is happening can be quite frightening and at the same time a real challenge. Would you be able to find shelter, food, water and create a nice environment in case of a disaster?
    You'd have to be really well prepared or just be able to adapt to your new surrounding, plus a lot of knowledge about surviving on minimal resources.

Sometimes you don't have any other option than to organize everything yourself. But, generally speaking, it is a lot easier if there are others around you who can keep you company and who can lend you a helping hand. Obviously, during a disaster every possible thing can go wrong and even cost you your life. My policy during emergencies is to keep close contact with my neighbors while rescue teams, if there are any, are working on alleviating the situation.
    A few years ago, when I lived in some remote mountains in Australia, we once got trapped for nearly three weeks due to heavy flooding. We got all worried about one of our neighbors who had mysteriously disappeared. With the help of other neighbors and two dogs we managed to finally locate him in an isolated spot on his property. He had slipped in the mud and fallen into the river, the water carrying him almost a kilometer away. Somehow he got trapped under a tree and had broken his leg. He wasn't able to move and nobody could hear his screams for nearly two days.
    So, I'd say it's always good to have others around during challenging times.
    fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

I don't think I would be able to do it entirely alone. Some things do require a second set of hands. Loneliness is also a serious problem. If I didn't have anyone, I don't think it would take long for me to wonder why I bothered. I think if I was alone, within a couple of days my top priority would be finding other people.

Comment

It is never easy to handle everything alone during or even after a disaster. However, if assistance is limited or lacking, then you just have to do the best you can and do the most important and crucial tasks first. The first aim is to try and keep as safe as possible, then you need to take the measures necessary to continue to keep safe and stay alive. This involves ensuring that there is sufficient food, water and other essentials as well as securing proper shelter. This may be very difficult if you do not have the assistance of even families or friends, but assistance may be available from relief agencies or other individuals depending on the type of disaster. Individuals need utilize whatever appropriate assistance that is available as this will lessen the stress on them and increase the likelihood of survival.

Comment

Its not easy to handle everything but yes should you have the resources you can surely handle a disaster.
          I was told to imagine that disaster is like playing a game,wherein you chalk out your escape strategy and you make sure you escape from it and possibly help others as well.I have always had this in mind and adhered if incase i am in that scenario.

Comment

It would definitely depend on the type of disaster and the people involved. While it is always nice to have help, the sad reality is that the majority of people are nearly useless in an emergency. Whether at work or in town, if a disaster hit I would feel obligated to assist others, and I would expect that most of them would be more inconvenience than help. If I had the luxury of working with my SAR/CERT teammates, EMTs, or LEOs, then I would greatly appreciate the company and mutual assistance. With untrained, unprepared and clueless people though, it would actually be easier to be alone. I would do my best in either circumstance, but I can certainly imagine scenarios where I would much rather be on my own.

Comment

I already did, I survived many floods in my lifetime. There was even a time when I lived on the roof of my house because the whole city is devoured by water. Resilience and determination kept me alive during those times. The new place were I live is still flooding but it is much more better than before. I don't live in the first story of my house because of the traumatic experiences I have with flood. My first floor is an indoor garden. My living room and kitchen in the 2nd floor of my house. My house have three floors and because its not practical to be in a floor house in my area. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

I am pretty confident that I would be able to handle things alone in a disaster. I do a lot of remote camping so I have a lot of experience on how to get shelter, water, prepare food, etc. Of course it would depend on the disaster, the type it was and how bad it was. I think the will to survive would click in and you would do whatever you could to get through it.

Comment

I don't think that I would survive for a long time, I got nervous really easily and I'm not that skilled to survive, I guess... So I need to do my research about how to survive by own in case of an emergency!

Comment

It really depends on the situation. In a group like setting it is a team effort to get things done. As opposed to being alone and you don't have to care for anyone but yourself. If I was alone, I can handle it and pretty much survive most things that get thrown on me. Now if it was a group setting, that would be a whole new set of problems, because extra bodies means more liability.

Comment

Working...
                    X