Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if you were walking outside during an earthquake ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the responses guys. Best thing would be to move quickly to an open space, as fareakyman said.
    Although earthquake lasts for some minutes, it is too destructive. You gotta be careful guys!
    fareakyman likes this.

Comment

hey Alunny, I don't know much about Tsunamis as I live in a landlocked country. No direct access to oceans. :/
      But from what I've heard, Tsunamis are more destructive than earthquakes. A few years ago, Tsunami took place in Japan and thousands of people were killed and billions worth of properties were destructed.

Comment

Originally posted by bintsk View Post
        Thank you for the responses guys. Best thing would be to move quickly to an open space, as fareakyman said.
        Although earthquake lasts for some minutes, it is too destructive. You gotta be careful guys!
        Is that in general you are talking off,because i din't follow up with this discussion
        Was there a survival technique you guys were talking about..? for everything..?

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
          Is that in general you are talking off,because i din't follow up with this discussion
          Was there a survival technique you guys were talking about..? for everything..?

I'm not sure what you mean. We were discussing the options that you have if you are outside and an earthquake strikes. I suggested that the best idea is to run as far away from high buildings as possible, to a plain, open field, a parking lot or something similar. Nothing can happen there, the outside is the safest place to be in an earthquake.

Comment

Run under the BIGGEST tree I can find and cling tight. lol JK Get into a clear open space away from power-lines or buildings that could fall anywhere around me. I believe that is what I remember is the correct thing to do. Not that I ever have to worry about it over here in boring WV.

Comment

Fortunately there are rarely earthquakes in NYC. However I do remember one when I was a kid. It came in the middle of the night. We lived above a subway station, so I thought the building shaking was due to that. But when my bed started shaking like crazy, I knew it was not the subway. It was very scary, my parents were sleeping in the next bed and my sister slept next to me but they didn't wake up. I stayed up the rest of the night thinking the building was going to collapse. The next morning my parents didn't believe me until they watched the news. Long story short, I would rather be outside during an earthquake. We lived on the 3rd floor at the time by the way. Assuming you are outside, just kneel and cover your head.

Comment

Probably just sit down where I am, if the ground is shaking you probably won't be able to balance well to move anyway. Try to get away from a building that might have things falling from it, but other than than just sit tight and wait for it to stop.

Comment

I will admit that that's an interesting question, because it isn't something that I have particularly taken the time to think about before. But I guess the most important thing to do is protect your head, so if you have the option of running right into an open space then that is a great idea. Or if not, then try to find something sturdy that you could hide underneath, and protect your head with your hands. That idea could potentially work a little bit better. But try and stay calm, because if there is one thing that will definitely never help in an emergency situation it's panicking.

Comment

Stay still, stay away from electrical posts, buildings, and walls, and wait it out. There is really no way to predict when an earthquake will happen, so having the right knowledge is the key to preventing the loss of so many lives.

Comment

Run like hell, I guess?

I'm not really sure what to do actually. I'd find some hard cover or run into open grounds - I guess that would be my prime reaction to that situation.

Comment

Hopefully your at a open field. Then you wouldn't have to worry about buildings falling on you, trees being uprooted, and power lines shocking you.

Comment

If an earthquake happens, I would be very grateful to have prior knowledge to its possibility. I would try not to go to crowded locations, the city or go to work that day. But earthquakes are so unpredictable, and the effect it will have at different locations can never be determined. Staying away from anything that can fall on me would be the right step. There could be a possibility that the ground cracks open, so hanging on to something might be great.

Comment

Yep, the only things you can really do are drop to the ground, try to cover yourself, and move away from harmful objects. In the event of a substantial earthquake there are hazards no matter where you find yourself: in a building, car, subway, bus, etc. :/ I've thankfully never been through a big quake.

Comment

The best thing to do is to go to a high altitude place and an open field and just squat there until the shaking subsides.

Comment

Working...
                              X