Cameras and Disaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras and Disaster

Many people are criticized for using cameras during disasters. Some people feel that those people should be helping instead of recording what is going on. I think it will depends on the situation. Sometimes there is help already there. And also it sometimes can be a good thing for people to see what is going on in particular location so they can help. I do feel that if a person sees people in distress, that they should respond by helping first and foremost and only record it if they intend to use it for good.

It might also depend on what disaster is currently happening. If the disaster event is still on going, then I am unsure if a lot of people can help people in distress. Maybe after the disaster came to pass, can then the debate be settled. Yes, it is better to drop the camera and help first...if you can of course. The video or cameras can be helpful in recording the damage, but it might get gruesome if bodies are littered all around.

One event that I do not want people to use their cameras on are after shootings. There was this event wherein there was a hostage situation, and people were killed. The next day, people had selfies on the event...I was "what?" Do not do selfies or group pictures on a sad event. This should be common sense, but I saw people doing so..

Comment

I can understand both sides though I think I will take the side of the ones complaining. To document a little is fine but in a highly absurd manner - nope. The thing is these people are too relaxed which makes them vulnerable for surprises.

Comment

I think that if there are no people recording what happened no one will really know how it is, so that is important. At the same time, human lives are more important, so we should always put that first instead of recording.
        Zyni likes this.

Comment

While I understand both parties, I would be mad if during a disaster someone is filming when he could have helped someone else.
          Zyni likes this.

Comment

Yeah, I would hope no one is standing back recording while watching someone suffer when they could offer assistance. I do think it's important to document such things, but I hope nobody would put their "story" over the safety of another person.

I also think documenting disasters requires a high degree of responsibility. If you're so busy filming that you end up in danger and have to also be rescued, that's reckless.

Comment

But don't you think this is indicative of our society. We've become a society of "watchers", people who watch life go by but don't actively participate. It seems to me, that the more social media we invent, the less social we become. For so many, their first thought is "I have to get this so I can post it or tweet it". We seem to have lost our sense of community - of helping those in need and doing for others.

While I think that recording events is important, actually living them is much more important - in this case, pitching in and helping those in need.
              Zyni likes this.

Comment

I can remember about 14 years ago, I was driving to work. On my way, I smelled smoke in my car. I saw a flame under my steering wheel. By the time I pulled over, the dashboard was on fire. I got out and called 911. I was so far in the country that it took them about 20 minutes to find me. But this was before camera phones. But I was amazed at people who would drive by and look and not offer any help. Now that we have cameras, it is so much worse.

Comment

I feel like people just like to complain about anything and everything. If nobody is helping someone in need, then obviously help that person right away. If the person is already receiving help than sometimes recording is another form of helping.

Comment

If the person is already getting the help that he needs, then recording should be continued. Otherwise, of course common sense dictates that the recording should be stopped and the person who needs help should be helped. Only a stupid or heartless person would do otherwise.

Comment

I agree with your logic vinceasneed, it's all dependent on the situation, because many times recording a disaster is all one can do. I've seen many disaster related events personally and from the internet involving people attempting to help others in which that helping human became a victim too! Now I'm not advocating not to do anything, but only do what you can possibly do to help the human in danger or at risk of dying from a disaster. More over, a recorded event can help evaluate preventive ways far more effectively against disasters than faulty first-hand witness accountants, this was made very apparent in the last decades of major disasters around the planet.

Comment

Both arguments make sense, but if there is enough help then we need someone to cover and report what is going on. This camera and viral information can lead to increase assistance and also avoidance of the area. When there is little to no help they can desist form videoing and lend a helping hand......who knows how your two hand can be useful to save a life or two.

Comment

This is a grey issue in my mind. If a bystander was filming a incident and there are already a number of people with hands in the situation, then that's all the hands you need. Too many hands lead to more problems. Let the active rescuers do their thing and give them space to operate. The video has a place to share information and to report the news and happening. But there is a distastefulness about it also. You don't shove a camera in the face of a person who is in pain, heavy distress, and anguish. That's just crossing the line and uncalled for.
                          fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Its as simple as this.If no one needs to help,at least he can get down and help or put it in auto film mode from a good altitude,if he really needs coverage,lest i don't mind someone filming a rescue act instead of helping,because that too is essential and needs to be done for every other disaster.

Comment

If you're the first one to arrive on the scene, it would be more ethical to aid the victims and ask immediate help rather than film their suffering. What if no one else is there besides yourself? You can't keep on thinking that somebody will come just so you can continue filming.

Comment

Working...
                              X