Would You Have Somewhere to Go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Have Somewhere to Go?

If a disaster were to strike right now and your home became unlivable, would you have somewhere to go? My family is lucky in that we have other family around and could take shelter with them if we needed to. I know a lot of people who came here because of the miltary, though, and do not really have somewhere to go that would not cost them money (hotels and such). I was just curious about you all.

No I wouldn't. I don;t have much family and my closest relatives are 150 miles away. I guess I'd just have to get my tent and camping gear out and go live in the woods for a while! Actually, in the UK, your local council will provide you with emergency accommodation should disaster strike.

Comment

I have lots of friends in our little community, including a couple who own rental properties, so I know I could have housing in an emergency. However, I really don't like to be dependent upon anyone else. I prefer to be able to take care of my family on my own, no matter what happens. Towards that end, one of my goals for the year is to get a decent old travel trailer and stock it with emergency supplies. If we had to leave our home suddenly we would then be able to haul what we need and live in the trailer until the disaster recovery was over.

Comment

Luckily, yes I do. My family has lots and lots of relatives all spread up all around the whole world! So, no problem with that!

Comment

Originally posted by fcphdJim View Post
          I have lots of friends in our little community, including a couple who own rental properties, so I know I could have housing in an emergency. However, I really don't like to be dependent upon anyone else. I prefer to be able to take care of my family on my own, no matter what happens. Towards that end, one of my goals for the year is to get a decent old travel trailer and stock it with emergency supplies. If we had to leave our home suddenly we would then be able to haul what we need and live in the trailer until the disaster recovery was over.

That sounds like a great idea. I wish I had the money and space that would allow me to do such a thing. I would not mind living in a travel trailer for some time. You could take it just about anywhere in the world and have a small home to retreat to. It is much better than having to take shelter in someone elses home and have to follow their rules.

Comment

We're pretty far from family but we have some local friends. There are also local shelters. Our most viable 'other place to be' though is our pop-up camper. It's not much and really can only handle basic sleeping, sanitation, and cooking but it's portable and can give us those things where we need them. The quarters would be pretty cramped, with two adults, a teen, two little kids, and a big dog but we have done it for a few weeks of vacation so I think we could do it in an emergency.

Comment

Yes. I have six specific friends where I can go here near Reno, plus all the parks and BLM land if I just need to camp out a while. My long range BOL is about 200 miles away, at my brother's place for anything that is likely to be long term.

Just my opinion.
              Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
              (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

Although I do have places I have planned to go to get away from a disaster, more than likely, I will have to take my time to get there because knowing facts from past disasters it will be very hard to near impossible to get to a safe zone farther than 30 miles out - depending on where one lives on this planet. I live in the suburb areas on the outlying area of the city I live near to which its downtown area is at least 12 miles away, but the place I have considered is at least 50 miles plus away, which will require use of freeways and highways - no doubt, if a huge disaster strikes, all major roadways will be jammed or moving slowly. However, I'm implying about this only for extreme disaster cases, but if it's a situation that will be cleared in a few weeks or less, then it's best to stay where one lives at and help to repair.

Comment

We have relatives and friends in other regions. Should disaster strike, I think we will be lucky enough to have temporary shelter and steadfast support. If flash floods were to strike, though, our place would be relatively safer compared to their homes. We're situated on top of an elevated place where floods have no way of reaching and there's also a large basin not far from where we are and it prevents water from accumulating. As for earthquakes, as long as my island isn't the epicenter, we'd be considerably safe. My parents have also started building new houses in two key areas where we might not only spend the summer and December holidays but also use them for emergency purposes.

Comment

I'm a Filipino, and Filipinos have big families. I probably have like 500 relatives scattered all around the world, so yes, I do have quite a few places to stay. I'm a dual citizen (Filipino - American), so if a crisis happens in the Philippines, one option is to go to the states, and vice versa.

I just hope nothing bad does happen in either country. There have been quite a few floodings and storms in the Philippines, but Filipinos are also tough people that could stand up to disasters.

Comment

Working...
                    X