What would your 5 items be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would your 5 items be?

If there was a disaster or crisis going on and you had to evacuate from your home, and could only take 5 items with you, what would they be? Mine would be my purse because it holds all of my important daily needed things, a blanket, a bottle of water, food, and a flashlight. Assuming that I could evacuate with my car, there is a radio in there so I would not need to take one with me. What are your 5 must have items?

If I could only take 5 items with me, I would take cash, important documents, food, water and a weapon. In case of emergency and we would have to be away for an extended amount of time, I would need a weapon since I do not have an additional shelter such as a car or mobile home to protect my family. In situations where there is a crisis, there will be wideswept chaos and being able to protect yourself is very important.

Comment

Only five items? Woo that's so limited. Let me see. I hope to snag a big bottle of mineral water , a whole box of first aid paraphernalia (medicines included), wallet containing cash, various IDs and ATM cards, a loaf of sliced bread and cellphone. We do have a car so maybe I can bring more?

Comment

Interesting question. Car, phone, weapon, meds, water. are the first things that come to mind.

Comment

My essential items shoud include:
          - a bottle of water
          - MREs
          - flashlight
          - important document
          - money

Comment

Easy answer
            1. My emergency bag (filled with all my emergency survival gear, never leave home without one. Just a backpack with supplies just in case. Learned to carry one from my father while growing up on a military base in hurricane country. It is what I call my "purse" because my wallet and important papers are in it too.).
            2. My babies (7 dogs and 2 cats)
            3. My cigarettes (cause I'm gonna need them!)
            4. My boyfriend (he would be panicking at that moment and I would have to lead him out)
            5. And My A@$ aka butt. LOL

Comment

Kind of depends if you can include major kits (bug out bag, bug out vehicle), minor kits (first aid kit, water kit, fire kit), or individual items (bottle of water, trauma bandage, lighter). All options would also include my every day carry (EDC).

In the first case, It would be only two items:
              1. my entire INCH kit on the game cart
              2. the Bug-out vehicle w/kit

If it is the second case, it would be:
              1. Water Kit
              2. Fire Kit
              3. Food Kit
              4. Shelter Kit
              5. Sanitation Kit

If it is more or less individual items, it would be:
              1. Filled Kleen Kanteen 40 ounce wide mouth stainless steel water bottle with flip ring top
              2. My laptop
              3. Big bag of gorp
              4. GI poncho with Wiggy's hooded insulated liner
              5. My meds

My EDC consists of: Prescription glasses w/Transition lenses, Smartphone loaded with prep apps, Limeade 13,000mAh power pack w/cord, 2m handheld radio w/extended battery, 2x Maglite Solitaire LED flashlight, Redi-edge knife sharpener, whistle, pocket knife, medications, 2 bandannas, Bic lighter, Zippo lighter w/2 fuel tubes, 2x cache tube w/spare AAA battery, Gentlemanís SAK, P-51 can opener, handcuff key, Res-Q-Me seatbelt cutter/window breaker, slim USB drive, photon LED, write in the rain notebook, 2 Fisher tactical clip cap Space pens, self-winding watch, Leatherman Surge multi-tool, Wenger Survivor SAK, Surefire G2 LED, (28-40oz SS water bottle w/carabiner in summer) and appropriate permethrin treated clothing ((Propper khaki cargo pants, Propper 2 pocket khaki shirt w/epaulets, leather money belt, leather suspenders, underwear, leather safari jacket, wide brim hat, pocket no-see-um headnet, Petzl Tac-Tikka + RGB headlamp, Danner boots), Glock 21SF and 4 spare magazines

BranTheScooterMan likes this.
              Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
              (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

1) Water
                2) Some dried snacks or canned food
                3) More water
                4) Matches (heat and light source)
                5) Leave this blank as it will depend on what type of disaster I am faced with.

Comment

My five main items to take if a natural or man-made disaster happens:

Cellphone, knife, water canteen [filled], ferro cerium rod, and wallet.

Also, this is what I will bring if I am in a suburban, village, town, or city when disaster strike - in other situations, I will take slightly different things.

Comment

If it is a real big disaster I don't know how useful a phone or cash will be.

Comment

If it is a real big disaster, this means no body can survive ultimately. The water, food and shelter may help us survive longer but ultimately we all will die. I hope my phone can still function and allow me to greet goodbye to remote friends and relatives.

Comment

A pack made for emergency, a pack of cigarettes (these can be pretty valuable when there is no one to give you, a lot of people would do anything for one), probably water, a notebook and a pencil in order to write important things.

Comment

I'd take a first aid kit, my important documents, cash, food and water. I think these 5 will be needed in the event of an emergency, but I have so much more stuff that I might need to take such as a lighter, weapon, etc. It's quite hard trying to decide 5 items to take if there was an emergency.

Comment

Water
                            Canned food
                            Light and firemaking equipment
                            Garbage Bag
                            Radio

Yeah it might be weird seeing radio on here, but I'm a big proponent of being always updated on whatever is happening and to make sure you're not bored in a survival situation. Boredom makes you lethargic and is also a major enemy of survival

Comment

If I could only have five items, it would be...

1) A large water bottle- So I can obviously hold water inside of it.
                              2) A portable water filter- If any water becomes contaminated, this would obviously be a good thing to have.
                              3) A flashlight
                              4) A knife- In case I need to defend myself.
                              5) Food- And I mean food that will last me for a good period of time, such as granola bars, dried fruit, etc.

I wanted to add extra clothes to the list, but I decided that a flashlight was more important. I would have also included a good pair of boots or walking shoes. If you have to walk a far distance in order to get to safety, then a flimsy pair of shoes aren't going to help you. Water is #1 on the list since the human body can't go without water for more than 2-3 days.
                              BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

Working...
                              X