How would you cope?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you cope?

How do you think you would mentally cope with a disaster should one ever happen where you live, whether it be civil unrest, a tornado, hurricane, etc. Some people do not do well at all with normal change and it could send them into a whirlwind of confusion and feeling unsettled. Other people adapt and improvise very easy with just about every situation. I can adapt to changes just fine, but I think I would not do as well as some if faced with a disaster situation I had to overcome.

I have witnessed the strongest earthquake so far that we have experienced in our area when I was still about 6 years of age. I was able to cope well because my young mind still didn't understand the situation well. There were news stories both on TV and on papers regarding how massive the effect of the earthquake was and how a lot of people have died but I only realized how big the impact of the quake was when I have grown up. Maybe the only aftermath effect it has caused me for several months was the thought that an earthquake is suddenly happening when there was really none at all. There were a lot of strong aftershocks after the major quake so we would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with our surroundings shaking because of an aftershock.

I'm certainly not wishing for anything similar to ever happen again in my lifetime.

Comment

I always convince myself that I can cope but in truth, it's easier said than done. That's why I think it's important to save money as well as keep an emergency fund so that when unforseeable events occur, you'll have money to support you and not just depend on the donations of others. Touching base with trusted relatives and friends helps a lot too.

Comment

I always try to remain positive, whatever will happen. I've seen a lot of disasters happen on TV and to be honest, I don't know what I would do if the same things happened to me. Hopefully, my survival instincts will kick in and I will be fine. The second thing I would do after saving my self would be to contact the loved ones and make sure they are safe

Comment

I think most of us, prepped or not, would feel those things if a serious SHTF situation were to happen. I think all of us would like to think we'd be cool, calm and collected in a serious emergency, but the truth is - nobody knows how they would react until it happened. If you are of the preparedness mind set, then you will have stocked up on whatever items you feel appropriate for your particular personal circumstances (i.e. if you live somewhere where you get a lot of snow you'd have food/alternative sources of heat/light and a genie stashed in the garage) and have put plans in place, which do give some peace of mind, but I think that anyone who says that they wouldn't be concerned if something 'big' hit is either lying or in denial!

Comment

I think most of us would actually surprise ourselves if we was ever faced with a disaster situation, or faced any form of trauma, because we're a lot more resiliant than we think.

We all have a certain amount of survival instinct in us, and when we're at our weakest we'll find that we can be at our best. When it comes to the crunch, even though some of us might think we'd crumble, the chances are that we wouldn't.

Comment

Where I live, the only potential disasters are riots and drought, there are protests that result in cars burning and collateral damage, but we are not prone to tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, e.t.c. If a drought were to happen, I wouldn't be too worried, as there are enough dams and water storages underground, as well as bottled water. If there was mass riots, which could happen due to the illiteracy of the general population here ( in other words, they are all animalistic idiots ) then I would be a little worried. I live in a secure neighborhood, but not secure enough to stop an attack. In that case, I would just try to survive and stay in the shadows.

Comment

Last summer when wildfires were ravaging my area I took part in notifying people of evacuation notices, and spent a bit of time helping coordinate things at the emergency shelter in town. That was fairly easy for me to do, as I was busy serving. However, many of the people I came in contact with had a sort of dazed look and they did not always act totally rational. To be honest, this made me a little impatient. Then came the time that the fire was close enough to my house that we were on the verge of evacuation, and suddenly I understood a little better.

I was able to focus on doing my job and on helping the community, but always in the back of my mind was the fact that my own family could have needed me to be there at a moment's notice for evacuation, and that we really had nowhere to go. The thought of losing our house and most of our belongings was very unsettling. We were fortunate that the fire eventually stalled before we actually had to leave. However, I now have more empathy for those who suffer loss in disasters. It's very easy to think you are ready to deal with it until you are staring it down for real.

Comment

Working...
                X