What training do you have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What training do you have?

I was just curious about the types of training people have had for preparing for a disaster? The basic types of training that come to my mind are first aid and CPR as well as basic survival skills, bit what about training such as how to deal with bloodborne pathogens and stuff? What training have you taken or would like to take?

I'm not sure the training that I have would be all that useful in the face of a large scale disaster but I am a fully qualified first aider, a health and safety coordinator for the local hospital aswell as being an ex fire safety officer. On top of that I'm a licensed SIA trained crowd control and personal intervention officer so I'd like to think I'd be able to help when and where I'm needed if something did occur.
    fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

I'm a member of our local search and rescue team. Our training includes first aid, CPR, and BBP, as well as basic survival skills, land navigation, search techniques, knots and rope use, and more. I have also completed 105 hours of online FEMA courses covering everything from basic ICS to continuity of operations to disaster exercise planning and evaluation. I am certified to use a Taser and have an amateur radio license. Beyond that, I just have a lot of hours invested in reading and watching videos about disaster-related topics.
      BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

Other than a bit of first aid at high school, I never really went through serious training. This is mainly due to the fact that there are very few disasters where I live. But I don't think it is absolutely necessary to pay for a special course, the internet can teach you many things and I'm sure there are numerous websites dedicated to helping you learn a thing or two about saving lives and dealing with the problems that may arise in a disastrous situation.

Comment

CPR, crisis intervention, suicide intervention, mental health first aid and conflict resolution.
          These are all employment related training certificates of course.
          Reading the above 4 posters, I am thinking I need to add my own survival courses in there as well. Can't hurt, can't be that expensive and is definitely more useful then catching the latest few episodes of whatever is on Netflix!
          fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

I have CPR and first aid training but I am also very interested in learning rescue work especially in times of calamities or accidents. Landslides are common in our area and most of the deaths during storm season comes from landslides and drowning from raging water. Swimming is also one skill I would like to learn especially for rescue work in drowning individuals.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the disaster recovery methods. This is very useful.

Comment

Working...
              X