Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youth groups that teach practical skills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth groups that teach practical skills?

Hello all. I thought I'd toss this question out there. Of the parents on board: what groups did you enroll your children in to learn practical, hands on, skills? Personally, my little ones aren't old enough to joint such groups, but time does fly, so I'm doing the homework now.

There is no substitute for good parenting, of course, followed by a solid education. Still, there are youth activities that build practical knowledge and how-to that will help them be prepared. So, I'd be curious what you'd recommend and, conversely, any that should be avoided. Thanks!
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Just one word: homeschool!
    ASurvivor likes this.

Comment

Agreed on that point. We're planning on either a private school or a home school, depending on what is the best option at the time.

I was meaning extracurricular youth groups like the Boy/Girl Scouts, 4-H, Future Farmers of America, Civil Air Patrol, Sea Scouts, et al.
      fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Boy/Girl Scouts are great. I unfortunately did not have the privilege of being in any of these kinds of groups when I was a kid because my parents were not interested in that kind of thing. If you live in the country, there is also 4-H. I have heard great things about all these groups, so they are worth looking into for your kids.

One of the great things about them is that not only do your kids get a chance to learn some practical skills, they also have the chance to make friends in a smaller setting than a large public school. I really wish I had the opportunity to learn some of these things as a kid. Good for you to want to help your kids get a good education in practical skills as well as academics. It will serve them well as adults.
        fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Thanks for the notes, DancingLady.

I've read good things about Future Farmers of America (FFA). Anyone have experience with the organization and/or have kiddos in the group?

Comment

Working...
          X