Experienced An Earthquake During My Nightshift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced An Earthquake During My Nightshift

Last week, January 10, around 3 or 4 AM. I felt a strange sensation wrapping my body. I felt something shaking. At first, I dismissed it as me getting so tired, that I had tactile hallucination of some sort. Then it kept on shaking and shaking. I then realized that it was an earthquake. I had to check with the people nearby to check if they felt the same. After a brief discussion, we headed out to evacuate. We were in the basement of the building, and headed up. We were surprised that the guards did not sound the alarm. They did not feel anything.

I promptly returned to the basement and focused on work. I opened up the news site and there was a magnitude 6 earthquake felt on Luzon, Philippines. Something did happen. I was not fazed when that happened though. I had experience on being in mag 7 quakes. Still, that was the first time that I was shook up during my nightshift.

Earthquakes are being felt more and more in places that have never experienced them. The people that are feeling them are terrified, and with good reason. I realize the world is an active place, and quakes can happen anywhere, but most are small enough that they can't be felt. I am a little edgy about what is going on. It is good that you were experienced, and were not upset. Are quakes common in the Philippines?

Comment

Luckily, the tremor passed relatively quickly, and there was no major damage. I have experienced several of such tremors when I lived in southern Europe, and it's a very unsettling feeling when you don't know what exactly will happen next, and where you are supposed to go. At least, with heavy torrential rains, floods, approaching cyclones, you can make some preparations and leave the area. Earthquakes appear suddenly, and escaping them can be a major challenge.

Comment

We hardly ever experience earthquales here in the UK and I can only actually remember one. It was only a minor tremble, but it made the national news and was the source of much speculation and scaremongering for weeks.

Comment

@primalclaws The Philippines lie on the Pacific Ring of Fire, so it is somewhat common. I felt strong quakes of mag 6 above several times already.
          @amethyst Earthquakes are indeed hard to detect and hard to run away from, if you are inside a building.
          @missbishi I guess I am jaded when it comes to disasters. I have tangoed with several natural disasters already.

Comment

I experienced an earthquake after my work and I am already asleep. I just felt that everything is shaking and I think it was just in my dream. I realize it is a reality when my housemate knocked so hard and shouted that we should go outside. I was with a shock that I can't move my body and end-up with holding the wall with my right hand and the floor with my left hand.

Comment

We had a mild tremor in our guest house today.The building was 30 yrs old,and i don't know if it really was an earth quake.It looks like even if an elephant walks across the street,the building will fall off.God be with me till our Housing block is renovated.

Comment

A couple of years ago I was working in China and I was staying at the top floor of a 18 floor hotel. At about 2am there was a MASSIVE shake which woke me up, and we kept rocking for a solid minute. I've never been so terrified in my life. All I was thinking was 'Oh lord, I hope this building is safe'. Well it was, and though I didn't get much sleep after, I did live to fight another day.

Comment

I guess you were also in the country when the 7.2 magnitude quake shook the Bohol-Cebu region. There were around a thousand aftershocks following that large quake. Basically, the whole Philippines has been plagued by quakes since then. PHIVOLCS has not failed to update us so far so you may want to check out their website from time to time.

Comment

Generally in a region where people are used to certain disasters, they tend to take things in stride. I grew up in an earthquake prone region and experienced a few earthquakes. Though most were minor, we did drills all the time just in case a sizeable one happened. In 2001 I was in 7th grade when the Nisqually quake happened. It was 6.8 on the scale. We immediately went under our desks and waited for the earthquake to pass because we were so used to doing the drills that it was second nature to us. It's often a good idea to practice drills so you know what to do when situations like that occur because it can save your life someday. 400 were injured and 1 died that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodolite View Post
                      Generally in a region where people are used to certain disasters, they tend to take things in stride. I grew up in an earthquake prone region and experienced a few earthquakes. Though most were minor, we did drills all the time just in case a sizeable one happened. In 2001 I was in 7th grade when the Nisqually quake happened. It was 6.8 on the scale. We immediately went under our desks and waited for the earthquake to pass because we were so used to doing the drills that it was second nature to us. It's often a good idea to practice drills so you know what to do when situations like that occur because it can save your life someday. 400 were injured and 1 died that day.
                      Second that.Drills really get you accustomed to an actual instance and even if u are in a situation that you really can't adapt,then the practice will automatically get you into that "mode"
                      Can u teach us on how to emotionally react..?

Comment

We have had a couple of small ones here. They were big enough to be felt, but not big enough to do any real damage. Still, they are scary, and I guess I should do more to prepare for one. I've never given it a lot of thought since they were so few and far between and small, but I guess it makes sense to prepare for all things.

Comment

I felt an earthquake once. I live in Maryland in the United States and earthquakes are rare here. We had one a few years back, and it felt really weird. I was in my room and felt it. Once it stopped, I headed downstairs to see if my family also felt it and realized what it was. It started again, and I almost fell down the steps.

Comment

We surely do experience earthquake here in the Philippines from time to time. The worst earthquake was during 1990 and many people had been affected greatly with it. So many people lost their houses, properties and lives. We still experience earthquakes from time to time but not that strong that will really scare you much. You just have to hold on to something and protect your head when the earthquake happens.

Comment

If you stay in the Philippines which is located in the Pacific ring of fire circle, you're in dangerous territory of seismic zone. Then it is necessary to find out about the safety measures in the event of a serious earthquake in a fact that is earthquakes can not be predicted.
                              Other dangerous seismic zones.
                              Do you know where the most devastating earthquakes occur? The zones along fault lines are prone to earthquakes.
                              Earthquake Information

Comment

Working...
                              X