Cool quality control practice of Texas Instruments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool quality control practice of Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments manufactures different parts for different products. One of the things that they make is screws to be put in airplanes. Though very little, these screws form a vital component of an airplane. Thus, very high standards of quality are being placed in order to minimize the possibility of defects and eliminate disasters. One of the quality controls practiced by Texas Instruments is providing the engineers who make screws with free plane tickets. But these are not just merely plane tickets. These engineers get free tickets to the planes where their screws are installed into. So, if an engineer makes some faulty screws, he'd be in real trouble because he would be boarding the plane where his screws were placed. Pretty nice quality control to avoid disasters right?

Hehe, pretty good quality control indeed, I had no idea Texas Instruments did this sort of stuff, the only thing I know them from is their calculators.

Comment

Wow, this is a quite amusing way to handle quality control. Giving incentive to workers in order to make them do a good job is a great and innovative way to do so. Just simply a salary alone will not encourage workers to do good work, it will just give them incentive to work in general. If this method can be used in other companies as well, we could see a large increase in the quality of our products.

Comment

Interesting indeed, and somewhat amusing. In flight they can also see how the screws perform/if they stay in place - this if they're used on the passenger accessible areas. It reminds me of some old story regarding a railroad engineer, that I've read a long time ago. So the dude built/engineered this railroad bridge over a huge river. Long and tall it was, it's still standing today but it's not used anymore. So once everything was complete he took his whole family on a small boat and went to sit under the bridge as the first train was passing by.

Comment

LOL. What a pressure to be an engineer working with Texas Instruments. You have to put your life on the line just to prove to everyone you did your side of the bargain. Anyhow, it's a nice spin on quality control but as to whether or not this actually discourages sub-par results still remains to be seen.

Comment

Well, that is clever. It's as if you're letting someone prove that what he did is functioning perfectly. And what a nice way to do that! If I were that engineer, I would not waste a single second at work because I know that my work needs to be perfect -- or else I'll die. Nice strategy right there.

Comment

I agree, I think that strategy is also a good way to deter the engineers from slacking off, because if they do, then they die. As simple as that. I hope no one died from that strategy, because that just means one of them is slacking.

Comment

I wonder if the manufacturer of the airplane engines give discounts or free airline tickets to their workers. That would be something. Never mind the screws. Lets see how confident these guys are in riding in a plane when they manufactured the engines.

Comment

Working...
                X