This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looting in a Disaster

What would you do as a business owner to protect it in a disaster? I remember during Hurricane Katrina looting was a major problem with people just taking whatever they wanted or needed from the local stores. A disaster could mean damage to the store not just from the disaster itself but from break ins, and the stolen goods would be an additional major cost. Do most businesses have insurance that covers looting during a disaster?

Businesses should be required to have insurance as motorist are. Therefore, if a tornado destroys your business it won't destroy you. Business owners have put their lives into their business day in and out. Who would let there life's earrings be put on the line for just a few bucks per month for insurance. Security is the interest of a business owner and should be required by law.

Comment

• layth02
      layth02 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. If you could get insurance for your business, then a natural disaster won't destroy your life. It could be similar to home insurance. If it gets destroyed somehow, they'll rebuild it for you. I didn't even know this wasn't a thing before reading this comment. Thanks!

There's probably a limited insurance that covers such situations. However, I'd retrofit the business with a few basic security measures. Cameras on a DVR running on a backup power system after a storm, alarms that alert the owner when a breach is detected, and stronger iron bars on the windows, or at least a sliding security door that many businesses feature in strip malls.

Shoot. I might even consider staying in the business and protecting it myself if things got bad enough.

Comment

If the owners of food stores were to freely distribute food to local victims of a natural disaster, then they would not have to risk looting. Taking food where there is no other source is different to looting TVs and luxury items.
      firelily99 likes this.

Comment

That's not true at all. People would still loot stores giving out necessary supplies to victims of disasters. Someone will want more than they're given and they'll respond by trying to take more than that.

Comment

Yeah I agree, I don't think looting can be stopped by handing dole outs to the victims, because there will always be someone that takes advantage of such situations and will get more than what they are handed to them for free for their own personal gain. The business owners really don't have much options if the whole area has no electricity and the government is not helping them, just like what happened here last Nov. 2013 with typhoon Haiyan

Comment

The business owners shouldn't have to bear all of the cost when a mob gets out of control after or during a disaster. Is there even insurance for looting? Flood insurance has limited coverage so who knows. Looting for TVs and other non essential items is unconscionable and those who are caught deserve to do some serious prison time. Groceries could give food away but who compensates them?

Comment

Originally posted by crc3thebest View Post
              Businesses should be required to have insurance as motorist are. Therefore, if a tornado destroys your business it won't destroy you. Business owners have put their lives into their business day in and out. Who would let there life's earrings be put on the line for just a few bucks per month for insurance. Security is the interest of a business owner and should be required by law.
              Well, insurance isn't just a few bucks a month, it's usually several hundred to thousands of dollars per month. And the problem is that I'm not even sure if insurance covers things like looting. It might cover the damage of the disaster, but not the damage inflicted after the disaster's over.

Comment

Well thank goodness our business is not a type of business you can walk into and take goods anyway. If you have that type of business you better have a lot of dogs, guns, and burglar bars because the police won't be able to handle them.

Comment

I think most businesses have some form of insurance to cover that because if some sort of disaster happened, there s no way that they would be uncovered for it. Plus, I think that disasters and looting go hand in hand, disasters are a ripe time to steal things because all authorities are busy dealing with the damage and have no time to handle petty crime. But I think its disgusting for people to take advantage of a bad situation to make the situation worse for someone else.

Comment

I've even heard of news stories of disaster victims trying to loot a bank. The poor security guard inside the bank valiantly guarded the door. At least he had a gun to keep the looters at bay.

The attitude of people change whenever when disaster strikes. We tend to become more violent and we start trusting more on instinct rather than reason.

Comment

I totally agree, insurance is the best thing to do. Unfortunately it is something that will not be stopped simply by giving away free things or even giving stern consequences. When disaster strikes, people panic, they are not thinking rationally, and looting unfortunately happens.

Comment

We really can't do much about it. Maybe buy a shotgun to keep those weirdos out!

Comment

Businesses should definitely have a watertight safe installed in a discreet place for valuable items and money. I cant really blame the looter if said person is looting for water and food if there isn't any currently available.

Comment

I would probably just not care about it and let people loot my store if it was a bad enough disaster. I'd probably open my doors and say to people to take what they wanted. Products can be replaced, smashed up stores are going to be a lot more difficult to get up and running again. Plus, products may get damaged in the disaster and be useless after all is said and done anyways, so might as well look like a good guy.
                            Alunny likes this.

Comment

Working...
                            X