Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basics: What are the first steps you would take after a disaster struck?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be sure to get to a safe area or inspect my home to see if it's okay. I'd listen to the radio for news or see if I could find anyone outside (weather or environment permitting) Then I'd check to make sure people I know are alright if I could. I would gather up my emergency supplies and try to find a shelter or safe space.

Comment

Get myself to a safe location and locate my family and make sure they were in a safe location. The most important thing for me would be not being separated from my family if possible. People need each other in a disaster as there may be things that you need to do that are not possible or are very difficult without help from others. Gathering supplies for camping or traveling or whatever the situation required would be the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingLady View Post
        The most important thing for me would be not being separated from my family if possible. Gathering supplies for camping or traveling or whatever the situation required would be the next step.
        When I was a teenager I had a big paranoia that society was upon imminent collapse, and not for entirely bad reasons. I hoarded food and camping supplies (got arrested for stealing 6$ worth of fishing hooks in the process), and started to learn how to can food. I also contacted and researched several of those detestable self-sufficient communities (you know, where a bunch of selfish hippies buy some land out in the bush and start growing their own food, and then they inevitably start going crazy, forming their own religion or philosophy, and then some kind of sexual abuse always happens?). But since then I've taken a more conservative approach: what happens if society collapses? I'm going to croak! And that's going to be it.

It's better to plan on working to try and fixing the current society, than try and work to ensure that my own keister can wriggle through the apocalypse. What's my one life really worth anyway? Bah. Forget about it. I'm a part of this society, and I'll go down with the ship.

Comment

Working...
        X