Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basics: What are the first steps you would take after a disaster struck?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basics: What are the first steps you would take after a disaster struck?

So once again, take a hypothetical situation, a disaster strikes. A disaster can be any of the categories present on this forum such as:

War
    Famine
    Drought
    Other natural calamities
    Economical downfalls
    Societal downfalls because of various reasons (feel free to fill them in if you so choose)
    Personal disasters
    Viral epidemics etc.

Choose from any of the latter categories or any other category present on the forum and explain your choice, what would you do immediately after the respective disaster, how would you react to save yourself, your friends, family if strongly affected by the disaster, what would your first steps be towards recovering form the disaster?

In the case of a viral epidemic I would do everything I could to isolate myself (and family I I had one) from everyone else. If there was no way of leaving without risking infection, this would require having a good supply of essential items and food stored at home and keeping everyone/everything safe without the need for contact with anyone from outside.

Comment

I think it's hard to find common ground across all types of disasters as each one has very different things you need to do in order to preserve yourself/your family/your possessions.
      I guess the only thing they have in common is: Be prepared and have a plan.

Comment

i would choose floods,and i know how to handle one.I have been in relief programmes many a times and have some experience.I know how to escape a flood and can save 3 persons at a time,using 1 rope.Moreover,i am swift and know how to avoid currents and places where there have been an electrical leak.

Comment

In case of war, which is probable, I'd try to move to another country where it's safe if I could, if not, at least stay as away from probably combat areas as possible and stay informed about it. I find war very dangerous because now a days they don't aim only at military but at civilians because that's what causes impact.

Comment

To aswer my own question I will take viral epidemic for example. Recently, regarding the string of deadly diseases appearing out of nowhere, especially with the threat of the Romanian man who was suspected of ebola but later the assumptions proved negative, I was already preparing myself with leather gloves, planning to buy medical masks soon and so on. Good thing it wasn't that. I am terribly cautious when it comes to disasaters like that and I will always do what is in my power to protect my family, friends and myself and inform people about it and ways to prevent and contain.

Comment

For most disaster situations, as soon as I know that something is happening, I activate the top level plan. Most of them, that do not involve an immediate relocation, I hunker down, and began to gather information through observation and the use of my communications systems. Once I have ascertained the situation the next level plan for that situation is activated and I do whatever is required to deal with the situation.

Of course, each plan is a little bit different, though all have common elements.

For the recovery from a total apocalypse type disaster, in order to try to get society and civilization going again, I would do the following, as soon as possible:

1. I would contact everyone in the area and begin to organize a like minded group willing to work toward the goal of rebuilding civilization.

2. I would then help organize groups to begin searching and mining everywhere, including cities and rural areas, for information, equipment, supplies, and raw materials that would allow us to begin rebuilding local important infrastructures.

3. After local infrastructures begin to come on line I would broaden my actions to include other communities and try to get them to organize similar activities.

4. Once a wide area is working toward the common goal of rebuilding infrastructues, I would try to set up a new constitutional government, based on the best of the old constitution with a few improvements here and there to make it stronger and less able to be corrupted.

5. By this time I believe we would have advanced from a 1200 AD society to perhaps an 1800 AD society, level of reworked infrastructures, degree of government, with some commercial and light industry. So now I would do what I could to begin trying to get more industry going, up to the point of rebuilding basic aircraft and building new ones.

The next 5 things I would do or start doing, to achieve that goal as quickly as possible.
              1. Once the "mining" begins, I would start constructing externally fired steam engines to provide stationary and mobile power for machines and to drive various machine tools to rework existing equipment into more usable equipment and to use the raw materials to make need items that can't be salvaged.

2. I would stress that the miners have at least one member in each group that can evaluate and decide what electronic and other communications gear and equipment is operable and usable, as long range communications is going to be extremely important, and there are no other really good ways to do it that are not highly resource dependent.

3. In order to ensure that the work can continue, and people are safe while doing the work away from their communities I would try and set up both police and military forces to keep the peace and to protect the ever expanding borders of civilization and society.

4. Once a government is in place, proven, and officials elected, I would encourage some form of funds acquisition by reasonable taxes and more importantly, tarriffs on business being conducted from outside the current borders.

5. Once long distance travel is economical, safe, and secure, I would start a campaign to bring other city-states into the circle to bring ever more functions of a reworked society and civilization approaching a 1950's era situation, without the problems and bad things of that time.

Just my opinion.
              Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
              (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

I like your forward thinking and preparation tactics Jerry D, you are one person people should want to have around during a disaster. We need more people that plan ahead like that and will act accordingly in case of a real disaster, not just talks on the internet. But of course those are the most useful for now
                Jerry D Young likes this.

Comment

Thanks!

Just my opinion.
                  Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
                  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

Each disaster is different. But for instance, if an earthquake occurred, I would make sure that my family will be somewhere safe. We wouldn't go near buildings for the chance of them collapsing would be high. The availability of food and water will be my second priority. I will go with my brothers in search for food if necessary. We are lucky because we have a vegetable garden. We can always get food from there if the supply is short or cut.

Comment

I'd make sure my family was all right and then I would run to the nearest supply to get lots of food and water. Then I'd look for a good shelter, if the disaster isn't 100% over yet or if there's any chance that it strikes again.

Comment

It's hard to say because disasters are really unpredictable. You never know how you will be hit. But in a general case, if I were hit by a natural disaster like a hurricane, the first 2 things I would do, simultaneously, are:

1. Make sure my loved ones (living in my home) are safe.
                        2. Check out the damage done to my home in order to secure it, which would be the 3rd or 4th step depending on if anyone was injured.

Comment

If I was to pick a disaster common to Hawaii, I'd pick a Hurricane.

I'd probably do what most would.

1. Check on Family members (head count)
                          2. Assess the food and water rations
                          3. Assess the damage to home and vehicles
                          4. Decide on secondary location for safety

Of course I'm laying all out planned out nicely. In a real situation I might be running around like a chicken without a head. We never know. But it's always good to have a plan ahead of time.

Comment

I think the greatest impending disaster on my family is viral pandemic and economic downfall. For both disasters, I would isolate my family at home. Leaving to go outside would be very dangerous in both situations. Obviously, staying away from people in a viral outbreak is the best suggestion. In cast of economic crisis, I would stay home and barricade myself in. I live in an apartment building in NYC, it would be unwise because once the economy crashes, all my neighbors will be taking each other out. My neighborhood is not a nice one, people hate each other for various reasons. In that situation, I greatly fear my life and the lives of my family members.

Comment

It pretty much differs from situation to situation, but the most important thing to me would be to check if all my loved ones are OK. Finding a good shelter, maybe a basement, would also be an important objective. However, disasters are different, so the steps greatly differ.

Comment

Working...
                              X