Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Disaster?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Disaster?

In terms of infrastructure, and rebuilding a place, how long do you guys think it takes to rebuild a disaster struck region? I think it depends on how developed the country where the disaster happened is, but I think the most important factor is the spirit of the people involved. Some nations have this amazing will to move on from a terrible disaster almost as though nothing happened, every time I see this, I am awestruck by the amazing spirit of the people of those countries. Anyway, what do you guys think is the most important factor when it comes to rebuilding?

It depends on a lot of things, really... if the disaster by nature wasn't that bad or was easy to clean up, if they were prepared, if the infrastructure was strong to begin with... I think it's a lot of things, so it's probably best examined on a case-by-case basis. I want to say the spirit of the people, too, but I think that in a lot of cases people lean on competent leadership and funding. I suppose that a lot of politics or just plain old fashioned incompetence can get in the way.

Comment

There are a lot of factors that come into play here. For example, a house that burned down in the winter will take a lot longer to rebuild than on in the summer, due to the harsh winters and having to build outside for so long. Of course other factors include money, location, time of year, etc. Assuming that people have correct funding in a good weathered environment to build things in, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a town to rebuild in less than a year.

Comment

Well I just put a post up about fires, and i had talked about my experience. All in all it took us about a year and a half to full recover from the fire. The whole house had to be rebuilt. It also depends on the emotional state that you are in as well. You can have all your things back, but still be scared, and torn up about it for some time.

Comment

Depends on the type of disaster, if there was a very powerful earthquake that collapsed whole buildings then I assume it would take years in order to clean up the whole area and reconstruct buildings. There are lots of factors that need to be considered such as location, time of year, money, etc.

Comment

If you're talking building from the ground up, you'd have to think about what resources are still available. You may be able to rebuild quickly if the disaster didn't wipe out everything. But, if you have nothing around left, it could take many years to get the right materials for the job.

Comment

Original locations are never the same after a disaster. There is usually something left, but many people never return if there is nothing of the original memory left. I think that with all the good intentions of people that come in to help, in the face of really bad disasters, many times there is no full recovery possible, because the original heart of the place is gone.

That being said, there are many places in the US that have been devastated by a disaster and the strong will of the people living there brought them back from almost total devastation.

Comment

Every disaster is different. Some areas take months to recover; others take years to recover. Some areas might never recover fully, depending upon the severity of the damage. There's no universal criteria that explain how long disaster recovery will take for a given situation.

Comment

I think it depends on a lot of factors. Probably the most important ones are what kind of disaster it was and how much damage did it cause, how much resources the country has available, what kind of government they have and where are the governments priority.

Look at Haiti for example, it still hasn't recovered from the earthquake in 2010. Roads, buildings and the airport have been rebuilt, but there are still many people living in displacement camps. It was already in poverty before the earthquake and that plus it's corrupt government has made recovery very difficult.

Comment

There are a lot of factors that play a role here - mainly how bad the outcome of the disaster is and how developed the country dealing with it is. Most developed countries can deal well with cleaning up/rebuilding and only have a small amount of lost lives.

Comment

It depends on the capabilities of the government. For instance, here in the Philippines, it has been a long time since Typhoon Haiyan ravaged the Visayas region. There are still no concrete plans yet. The master plan for the recovery and rehabilitation of the hit cities and provinces are still subject to the approval of the president. If a certain country has safety plans placed even before a disaster hit, recovery will not take a long time. But for a country where corruption and self-interest are prevalent, rehabilitation is something that survivors will only wonder about.

Comment

The duration of time that it would take to recover after being affected by a disaster varies. Depending with various factors. For example, if during the disaster you lost a loved one or many people lost their lives in the tragedy, it would take forever to recover. This is when emmotions are involved and naturally when you loose someone you were attached to or just knew, it feels like a part of us has been chopped off. The trauma and the memories may remain in our brains and hearts for a very long time. Nevertheless, if nobody died and it is a matter of rebuilding structures and recoverying in businesses, I think the time it would take to recover depends with the amount of money and resources one has. The more cash and assistance you have from others, the faster it is t recover.

Comment

I think your question is a case to case basis, because it really depends on the extent of the damage done and how large or small a certain area that was hit by the disaster. The economy of the country is also taken into consideration, the richer the country, the faster the improvement. I live in a 3rd world country, and as expected, the rebuilding of disaster-affected areas will take a long time to complete. Heck, when Haiyan striked, the distribution of relief good s were at a turtle's pace, so how much more rebuilding it,right?

Comment

I think the recovery time depends on the disaster. Depending how big the disaster is, a family might have to start their lives all over from scratch. Just in case of a natural disaster, a family should have emergency supplies ready at different locations such as a relative's house or friend's house.

Comment

It is hard to say exactly how long it takes to recover from a disaster. I believe New Orleans is still trying to recover from Huricane Katrina and that happened years ago. You have to have money to rebuild if there is building and road damage and sometimes the money is slow to come. If it is just natural damage, then that can be cleaned up pretty quickly. Home clean up is another area that can take quite a while to resolve. If your house is destroyed, you generally have to wait for all of the insurance paperwork to go through before you can start to rebuild, and that always takes a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X