Building with no fire exit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building with no fire exit

Every building should have a fire exit. That's a requirement for every building when it is being built. But I still see some buildings in a certain university that doesn't have a fire exit! I dunno why accreditors of the school failed to overlook this very basic retirement. In the building that I'm talking about, there is only one narrow space where students enter and exit. If there happens to be a fire or an earthquake, there will be a bottleneck which might even cause a stampede. What do you think should be done to buildings with no fire exit?

No fire exit? What do they expect during an emergency?? They need to get an entire room for nothing but the fire escape. I mean, the stampede point makes a lot of sense. People panic in danger. If someone is under the crowd, they will be squashed like a bug that had no tomorrow.

Comment

That is against the law. If someone reports it they would be in trouble and have to make one, or several.

Comment

Putting out something like this issue on social media would probably have a big impact on getting something done about the lack of a fire door. Are they aware that this situation exists because if not then perhaps a letter or phone call to whomever is in charge. Maybe a little story in a local paper or even the college newspaper might help.

Comment

There was a fire disaster about a couple of decades back, at this famous club where young people gathered. And yes, it had no fire exit. Only the main door served as both entry and exit. The dual doors only swung inwards. When the fire broke out, most of the people inside died. Very few survived and those who did were badly scarred for life. After the incident, it was the only time the government made strict measures of inspecting establishments of proper fire exits.
          Last edited by BigBang; 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Older buildings should be remodeled and reconstructed in order to have fire exits, in the case that they don't.
            Its absolutely true that there are poorly designed buildings, especially in eastern european countries, one of which I live in, with stupid communist designs that don't include real safety exits or other accessories that modern buildings have.

Comment

Which Universities are these? It is definitely against the law not to have fire exits. What precautions do they have in place instead then? There has to be some regulation on what to do in a fire without fire exits...

Comment

I'm sure that the fire exit is there but you just haven't seen it, it might be in a sectioned off are that is only available to the general public in the case of an emergency.
                It's like that in some hotels, you don't see the emergency exits but they open up automatically if the fire alarm is pulled for example, it might be the same way in that university.

Comment

Fire exits are pretty important, if there's a fire and everyone's running around, then someone sure to get squished due to the small amounts of space available. I'm sure you can fix this by contacting the higher ups who are in charge of the building, or report it to your local fire department or something.

Comment

They should be gullible s to not have a fire escape,and in the event of one,they are bound to take responsibility..We really can't do anything here,than just cursing them.It would be better if they can have a cheap roll up ladder,under a window sill.That would be the best bet...
                    It looks something like this..

We have it in our building,in the wall below those windows..
                    This is kinda cheap and is an effective alternative.

If we really care about those universities,we should be reporting it to the cops now...for inspection.!!

Comment

I pay attention to things like that. Im surprised that a building like that was able to pas the building code or whatever it is.

Comment

A lack of conforming to safety designs, as far as I understand, is illegal. Reporting these things is necessary, as it is in violation of building control. If you see such a thing, report it in any way you can, disaster can strike and it can strike hard - Your small decision to report it, can and will save many lives in the future.

Comment

I agree. Report this and let the chips fall where they may. You are important. Your safety and that of your fellow students and the staff are important. I don't know what country you're in or what their laws are. I do know you deserve to study and learn in a safe environment!

Comment

Which school are you referring too? We're from the same country, so I will be able to relate. Anyway, I think buildings with no fire exit should be reported to the authorities, so that they can act accordingly and impose the owners of the building to make one.

Comment

No way that recent buildings can be built with no fire exit, that's a demand from the law, if there is a control the building doesn't advance or needs to suffer changes. In the case of schools that is impossible, hundreds of people attend them and evacuation plans and fire exists have to exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X