CHIRP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHIRP

Evening all. I wanted to pass along a really handy tool for the amateur radio operators on board. Its called CHIRP, its available free here, and makes programming transceivers way easier. Instead of punching buttons on a front panel all night, you just hook up the programming cable from your radio to your PC/Mac, and upload/download frequencies and other settings with ease. The program is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux (Fedora Core and Ubuntu are both supported).

Anyway, earlier in the year I reprogrammed one of my Icoms with the app and it was a breeze. So, just thought I'd pass it along. Cheers!
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

I have a friend (one of our county ARES leaders) who has a cable and software, and all the important frequencies. He programs a lot of radios around here, including mine. However, in the interest of being able to make changes on my own and not being totally dependent upon someone else, I do plan to get a cable and install the software soon. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

I am glad to be of help. One other benefit to using this method is all the radio-related data is saved to an .img file on your PC or Mac. It makes it really easy to backup all your radio settings. I have a couple automatic backups on my main PC (data files and HD image) and these get archived along with it. Hopefully it never happens (knock on wood), but if a radio ever gets lost, damaged, or stolen, reimaging a new rig would be very fast.
      "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
      X