Satellite phones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite phones?

Hello all. I am curious if anyone is setup with satellite phones as part of their emergency preps. I used to have a couple GlobalStar units, but surplused them out a while back. I'm not 100% on the idea of sat phones due to their cost and reliability. Still, its something to consider.

Thoughts?
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

I used to be subscribed to a satellite phone service but when I moved away from the coast I dropped the service because of how high the price was. They are super relieable but the price is huge compared to normal service. It's definitely something to look at if you live in an area that is affected by those kind of disaster that would require one. Mine was 60 bucks per month and that was the lowest plan but the price has probably gone down a little bit since I had one.
    ASurvivor likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by wvboarder View Post
      I used to be subscribed to a satellite phone service but when I moved away from the coast I dropped the service because of how high the price was.
      Which provider were you with? What type of hardware did you use? Thanks.

Comment

I have never thought about using satellite phones, although I have heard quite a lot about these phones. I think that having such phones is definitely costly, but also life saving at times of disasters. The government itself should start providing such service for the betterment of people or at least have quite a few numbers of phones per area that could be useful during disasters and distress.

Comment

Originally posted by shilpa123 View Post
          I have never thought about using satellite phones, although I have heard quite a lot about these phones. I think that having such phones is definitely costly, but also life saving at times of disasters.
          Its certainly true they aren't cheap. GlobalStar has come down dramatically, but, on a personal level, I won't trust them again after the issues they've had with their sat fleet. Iridium has deals from time to time. A base unit isn't bad, but minutes aren't anywhere near what a cell system would be.

Originally posted by shilpa123 View Post
          The government itself should start providing such service for the betterment of people or at least have quite a few numbers of phones per area that could be useful during disasters and distress.
          The government (Federal and State) doesn't issue them to directly to unaffiliated private citizens. However, they are very much available to emergency staff and to us volunteers in the emergency communication groups.
          Last edited by ASurvivor; 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I've never thought to use satellite phones but that's actually a great idea. What kind of price range are they in for the phones themselves and the service thereafter? I wouldn't mind paying the fee if it is reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by m_lines View Post
              What kind of price range are they in for the phones themselves and the service thereafter? I wouldn't mind paying the fee if it is reliable.
              Its going to vary pretty wildly depending on the service (GlobalStar, Iridium, et al.), the equipment chosen, and if it is a prepaid or postpaid plan. There are also calling cards with a given number of minutes that vary in price. One thing to note about them, at least the last time I checked, is that the do expire relatively quickly. Its use it or lose it, basically.

Comment

I have never used a satellite phone. Actually, in the past I didn't even have any mobile reception where I used to live. I have experienced many storms, floods and fires in the last ten years, and never really relied on my phone, but on my neighbours and my common sense. I think a satellite phone is a wonderful idea that can save your life, but personally, I wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  Actually, in the past I didn't even have any mobile reception where I used to live.
                  That's the big upshot to satphones. Generally, where ever you are, within the coverage of their satellite constellation, they pickup a signal. I picked up a signal in areas that were very much devoid of cell coverage.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  I think a satellite phone is a wonderful idea that can save your life, but personally, I wouldn't count on it.
                  I can't argue with that. They are an amazing piece of technology, they may very well save one's proverbial bacon, and there is a reason why emergency services has them. That said, there are a lot of links in the chain in those systems. Knock one out and you've got an expensive piece of junk in your hands, but no comms.
                  Last edited by ASurvivor; 09-27-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Satellite phones are too expensive for me. I will rely on my mobile phones. However, I would like that the community or district as a whole can have or afford a satellite phone because it provides us an alternative channel of communication to remote areas.

Comment

Do you have emergency management organizations that you can volunteer with in Hong Kong, Aurora? If so, they may very well run traffic via satellite phone. Its one way to learn about the technology.

Comment

Working...
                      X