Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 killed in Russian plane crash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35850167

All 62 people on board have been killed, officials have said.

Initial reports are that visibility was an issue, and it's not thought to be terror related.

Damn! That's so depressing that in 2016 travelling by plane is still considered kind of a risk.

Comment

It's still early days and they're not exactly sure what happened, but up to now reports are saying that other planes that were due to land at the airport diverted to another one because the weather was too dangerous, but with this one the pilot tried to land.

You'd have thought that the airport itself would have recommended all planes be diverted if it was that dangerous, so I can only assume the flight might have not had enough fuel to divert so had to try and land as there was no other option?

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
        It's still early days and they're not exactly sure what happened, but up to now reports are saying that other planes that were due to land at the airport diverted to another one because the weather was too dangerous, but with this one the pilot tried to land.

You'd have thought that the airport itself would have recommended all planes be diverted if it was that dangerous, so I can only assume the flight might have not had enough fuel to divert so had to try and land as there was no other option?

Yep, this could be one of the reasons. The negligence of those who fueled the plane. They didn't think in a long term, probably.

Comment

I saw the same news story on another post. I pointed out the fact that this is detrimental to Fly-Dubai airlines and it will ruin their reputation and trustworthiness, especially for such an established company. The pilots might have made a mistake of some sort, but that's rare in this sort of situation, so I'm sure there is more to the story. It could have been done on purpose, the pilots could have been under the influence or the plane might have been shot down. But I highly doubt the latter, especially with a passenger airliner, but who knows, there might be more to the story than whats on the surface.

Comment

According to the latest reports, the plane had to circle the airport for up to two hours before landing. the winds were so strong as to be almost hurricane force winds, and the visibility was errible due to that, and it would hve also blown the plane around as it was trying to land.
            Possibly, since the plane had to fly around for two hours before landing, it had become low enough on fuel that there was no other option except for the plane to try and land.
            FlyDubai is not a main company from Dubai, it is one of the low-cost airlines, and although the plane was fairly new, and in excellent shape mechanically, it may jut have been way too small to deal with those strong of winds blowing it around.
            Here is another picture of what the crash scene looked like. Since we have this same topic under both threads (here and in transport), I am going to post it here and a moderator can determine which thread to merge.

https://www.rt.com/news/336371-video...ai-crash-site/
            Last edited by Tumbleweed; 03-20-2016, 07:15 PM. Reason: Forgot link

Comment

Originally posted by artyarson View Post

Yep, this could be one of the reasons. The negligence of those who fueled the plane. They didn't think in a long term, probably.
              While the people who fuel the plane could be at fault, that isn't what I was originally meaning. I was more saying that it could be pilot error, because he decided to wait and circle the airport and wait for the bad weather to pass instead of rerouting to another airport immediately.

By doing that, he then left it too late and didn't have enough fuel to make it anywhere else, forcing him into having to take the risk in landing. A risk that unfortunately didn't pay off.

Comment

The passengers who died were identified to be 44 Russians, 8 Ukrainians, 2 Indians and 1 Uzbekistani. The three possible causes of the crash are looked upon as:
                • Technical Issues
                • Human Error
                • Extreme Weather Conditions
                As of now, investigations are still ongoing and it will take at least two months before the authorities can give their final say.

I am wishing the families well and offering my condolences. I hope the souls of the passengers rest in peace.
                The selfie of a smiling beautician taken on the way to her holiday destination has become the haunting final image of the woman who died when flydubai flight ...
                pwarbi likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post

While the people who fuel the plane could be at fault, that isn't what I was originally meaning. I was more saying that it could be pilot error, because he decided to wait and circle the airport and wait for the bad weather to pass instead of rerouting to another airport immediately.

By doing that, he then left it too late and didn't have enough fuel to make it anywhere else, forcing him into having to take the risk in landing. A risk that unfortunately didn't pay off.

That seems legit, too. Very sad they ended up like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
                    The passengers who died were identified to be 44 Russians, 8 Ukrainians, 2 Indians and 1 Uzbekistani. The three possible causes of the crash are looked upon as:
                    • Technical Issues
                    • Human Error
                    • Extreme Weather Conditions
                    As of now, investigations are still ongoing and it will take at least two months before the authorities can give their final say.

I am wishing the families well and offering my condolences. I hope the souls of the passengers rest in peace.
                    I'm failing to understand why it will take them that long to establish what the cause of the crash was. I know that there will be a lot of things they'll have to look at, but at the same time the families of the passengers on board will want closure into what happened.

Whatever outcome they decide upon, isn't going to bring those that died back, but at least the families can get some peace of mind by knowing what exactly happened as quickly as possible.

Comment

Another unfortunate event. The pictures that I have seen at the wreckage site seems to suggest that a visibility problem could have caused the crash as have been reported. I am wondering if new and improved technology could not be developed to probably lessen the event of visibility problems causing planes to crash.

Comment

Working...
                      X